Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 07:45 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,448,045 times

Advertisements

I have an appointment to get my dog spayed on 5/27. She is a 10 month old shih tzu. Problem is - she won't stop chasing my other pup and jumping on her back to "you know" or try to "you know." Is this normal behavior? Yes, I am sure she is a girl. But she pants and this is driving both me and my other pup crazy. What can I do to stop this until she gets spayed? Or is this even because she is having hormone shifts? Thanks in advance.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:49 AM

3,074 posts, read 4,723,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
I have an appointment to get my dog spayed on 5/27. She is a 10 month old shih tzu. Problem is - she won't stop chasing my other pup and jumping on her back to "you know" or try to "you know." Is this normal behavior? Yes, I am sure she is a girl. But she pants and this is driving both me and my other pup crazy. What can I do to stop this until she gets spayed? Or is this even because she is having hormone shifts? Thanks in advance.
It's not about sex, but playing and dominance. It's normal dog behavior...

Carrie

Old 05-14-2009, 07:56 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,657,508 times
That is just normal behavior for some dogs. I always say they are a little mixed up. Your pup may still do it after the spay and continue for years. You should see what goes on in my home...... My 65 lb Shepard/mix Ginger used to hum-p my male Persian cat years ago. My Moms little 12 lb male neutered Pom used to hum-p my 65 lb. Ginger. My little neutered male Chihuahua has a stuffy he hum-ps under my coffee table day after day. My Princess, a 60 lb spayed female Pitbull humps my bed pillows and so does my female Lab/mix Jenny. Any pillow they will hum-p.
There is no way to stop it.....doggies will be doggies!

Old 05-14-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
That is just normal behavior for some dogs. I always say they are a little mixed up. Your pup may still do it after the spay and continue for years. You should see what goes on in my home...... My 65 lb Shepard/mix Ginger used to hum-p my male Persian cat years ago. My Moms little 12 lb male neutered Pom used to hum-p my 65 lb. Ginger. My little neutered male Chihuahua has a stuffy he hum-ps under my coffee table day after day. My Princess, a 60 lb spayed female Pitbull humps my bed pillows and so does my female Lab/mix Jenny. Any pillow they will hum-p.
There is no way to stop it.....doggies will be doggies!
Oh my goodness! It does sound interesting in your house I am surprised the cat didn't claw out the dog's eyes! Well, I sure hope the spay does work. I worry that my pup is going to go into cardiac arrest as she pants so when she does this. Thanks for the reassurance that some doggies just do this!

Old 05-14-2009, 08:28 AM

One more thing - is it safe do you think to bring my pups to a low cost spay/neuter clinic? I'd brought my other pets in there for shots and always felt comfortable. I have a high priced super vet nearby but he'll charge a lot.

I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish though. My last dog - he had an abnormal heart rythm so I held off on neutering him until it was too late. I had the neuter scheduled but two weeks before he develped a hernia. That cost me $10,000 when all was said and done and I lost him two months after the final surgery (in which they neutered him in one of the surgeries). Don't want to make the same mistake again.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:45 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
As the other posters said, humping is normal behavior in healthy young dogs.

$10K !!!! Yikes!!!

Old 05-14-2009, 08:52 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Completely normal....even at just 6 wks on they will do this! It always cracked us up....it is all about dominance.
As for the low cost spay....that would have to be a personal choice and your monetary circumstances. If I could afford it, I would rather have peace of mind and go with a reputable vet. But that is just me.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:11 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,657,508 times
Quote:
Oh my goodness! It does sound interesting in your house I am surprised the cat didn't claw out the dog's eyes! Well, I sure hope the spay does work. I worry that my pup is going to go into cardiac arrest as she pants so when she does this. Thanks for the reassurance that some doggies just do this!
My oldest dog Ginger who is 13 now grew out of her hum-ping days years ago.

Quote:
One more thing - is it safe do you think to bring my pups to a low cost spay/neuter clinic? I'd brought my other pets in there for shots and always felt comfortable. I have a high priced super vet nearby but he'll charge a lot.

I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish though. My last dog - he had an abnormal heart rythm so I held off on neutering him until it was too late. I had the neuter scheduled but two weeks before he develped a hernia. That cost me $10,000 when all was said and done and I lost him two months after the final surgery (in which they neutered him in one of the surgeries). Don't want to make the same mistake again.

I was always a little leery with low cost spay on a female since it is a full hysterectomy. Go with your gut feeling. A male neuter is another story, just a little snip. I took my little male Chihuhuahua to a low cost place and they did a beautiful surgery, no problems. My rescue lab/mix needs a spay, I will not take her there. She will go to a regular vet that will charge I think 325.00
My vet back in Jersey would be 150.00
In the end it all depends on who is doing the actual surgery.
Good luck, hope everything works out with your little ones!
Sorry for the loss of your little guy.......

Old 05-14-2009, 10:05 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
The humping is normal play for a puppy even a female puppy. My sisters young female who is spayed humps her toy bunny and if she can not get him and something like my sisters coat is hanging on the back of a chair she will hump it. She seems to do it when she is frustrated about something.

I am luckey as so far none of my dogs are big humpers even Dazzle who is unneutered and 9 months. He has a retained testicle which is in his abdomen and will be removed when he is neutered but so far he shows no signs of being a typical male , no humping his buddies, no leg lifting or marking, no aggression at all. Life is good!!! Jazz my 13 yr old Queen ( female) will hump another dog if she has gone after it to enforce a rule. It is like if she senses the other dog did not really understand, she goes back and humps it to prove the point that yes she is the queen and you listen to the queen. Even that is rare as most dogs do listen to the queen as they know she means business but every now and then some silly dog seems to not get that.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:00 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
Just make sure the vet you use is familiar w/ spaying brachycephalic breeds (shih-tzu's, pugs, bulldogs, pekingese etc) - they need to use isofluorane anesthesia (or sevofluorane) which are the safest for brachy breeds. Unfort. the anesthesia is a bit more costly and he may want to do bloodwork first as well but given your girl's young age and depending on where you live, it shouldn't cost too much but it likely will be somewhat more. Would also check into Spay USA and Friends of Animals (FOA) and see if they'll do it and what anesthesia they use etc - your own vet may be participating in their program but you wouldnt get the discount b/c you didnt fill out the paperwork. Only thing is there's a bit of paperwork so it all may be moot anyway unless you act fast (like now). Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs