U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 01:32 AM

1,041 posts, read 4,034,052 times

Advertisements

So while I am not a real pet owner, I am an auntie of my friend's lab/golden mix puppy. Because my friend and I work opposite hours, I take her from his house and we go running or swimming at the beach for a few hours a few days a week. Anyways she is VERY hyper (she makes a year 6/10) and while very friendly, she likes to jump and barks a lot. Honestly, she is a great dog, I just always have to keep my eye on her. Whenever we are out together, everyone comes up to pet her and comment on how great she is.

Anyway, the other day I went to the beach with my boyfriend and his amstaff. She is about 7-8 years old, kind of lazy and definitely overweight. She is a family dog and has grown up with kids. She is amazing- never barks, very obedient, loves people and very mellow. So at the beach, while my boyfriend was fishing, I was with the dog in the water. We swam and I would throw a ball in the water and she would swim out and get it and bring it back. While we were there, 3 different people asked me if she was dangerous, a mother purposely walked way out of her way to avoid us (meanwhile her daughter was stoked to see the dog and wanted to watch her). Two other people kind of avoided our area too and you could tell they were clearly unnerved by the dog. I was SHOCKED. I am so used to being with the aforementioned puppy and had never experienced people reacting so scared and nervous around a dog- esp since we were obviously playing and having fun! Meanwhile, this dog is such a better people-dog than the puppy, who is still working on her manners and what not. I have never experienced this before and can now sympathize with all of you BSL owners.

So everyone....yes there are some not-so-friendly pitts, staffs, rotties, etc in this world but NOT ALL OF THEM. UGH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 07:23 AM

19,822 posts, read 55,961,131 times
I know. I convert people one at a time when they visit my house and meet my VERY friendly 2 y/o APBT. It's a shame, how people are so afraid w/no personal experience.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:39 AM

756 posts, read 1,988,913 times
Wow- no leash laws there? I agree 100% with people who would avoid a strange dog, especially people with small children. As a dog owner, you should know that ALL dogs can be unpredictable at times.

I have a small, very friendly dog that anytime I go out in public with him, he is on a leash. He weighs all of 14 pounds and I have encountered people that are afraid of him. Many people are scared of dogs and as owners, when out in public, we should respect that.

Feel shocked and need to vent about it? Cmon....

Old 05-15-2009, 08:16 AM

2,406 posts, read 5,364,601 times
MARO........

Hubby & I own several Rotties...I know what you mean.
At our old house we only had 2 Rotts. Male was huge 140# a very big bone dog & the female was 88# (that's a med. size dog to me).
One day while walking, with leashes on both dogs, thru the neighborhood, several people jumped back in their cars or went back into their houses.
People are going to be afraid...that's just life. Nothing you can do about it.

On the other hand...I had several people come up to me cause they would see me walk the Rotts twice a day. They were just curious about the breed & asked ?'s There were also several people that would come up to me... who knew me from asking ?'s previously or wanting to see/pet the dogs & I would. They made it a point to come out & pet my babies.

So there are all kinds of people out there. Some are just scared of dogs, especially big dogs, or the Rott/pitt/GSD...whatever the breed. They could of been bit at some time in their life.

But I have to agree... all dogs should be on leashes. There are very long nylon leashes that we use to use when we would take our dogs to the lake. I believe those leashes were 30 feet long.
We have to protect others...ourselves...and especially our beloved dogs. They are our kids...and believe me...I've seen a lot more kids out there that should be on leashes VS dogs.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:05 AM

452 posts, read 1,530,387 times
I've been acquainted with pit bulls but no rotts; I'd love to have a pit but our neighborhood assc. forbids owning anything above forty pounds. I dare 'em to bring the scales to MY house...wendi weighs in at forty five...she's an oversized sheltie.

I have to say, when I'm out walking wendi and I see a large dog off leash coming at us, it scares the hell out of me. I've loved dogs all my life but our county is over run with dog owners who allow their animals to run loose...because there is no leash law outside our city limits. They think it's their constitutional right to bear arms AND let their dogs run free. We've had some sad stories in the last two years because of that; small dogs killed by large ones...packs running loose, creating havoc, that belonged to one lady who refused to control them..etc etc.

You cannot discern behavior from appearance. It's the same principal that you see with humans; some people cross the street to avoid people of color...still after all these years. It's in the mindset. You can't change that. And once you've been bitten badly by a dog...large or small...your attitude about dogs is toast.

Take your dogs out and enjoy them but keep the leash handy, pref. ON the dogs. You surely don't want to be in Judge Judy's court or anyone else's...facing a law suit. Respon pet ownership comes with the realization that not all people who come into contact with our dogs are going to be as enamored of them as we are. You have to respect that, stop being surprised and get on with it.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:56 AM

177 posts, read 655,901 times
Guys, maybe the OP was at a beach that has an off-leash section. There's a beach close-ish to me that has a portion of the area devoted to dogs, and they CAN be off-leash in that section.

Mar0, I feel your pain of having a "scary dog." People still cross the street to get away from our 11-year-old Chow. Seriously, she's 11. What's she going to do, snore on you? Haha. Well, at least she deters robbers, I guess.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:07 AM

5,244 posts, read 14,015,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I know. I convert people one at a time when they visit my house and meet my VERY friendly 2 y/o APBT. It's a shame, how people are so afraid w/no personal experience.
I'm with you. I converted the chimney sweep with my three rotties when they all tried to help him by sticking their head up the chimney with him. By the time he left he'd gone from "I'm not coming in your home" to "These are really great dogs".

Quote:
As a dog owner, you should know that ALL dogs can be unpredictable at times.
Well trained and well socialized dogs are not unpredictable. I've walked around my neighborhood with shepherds, rotties, and pits with no problems at all. They are well trained and respect their place in the pack with no arguement, so that means they know I am the boss and they do what I say, period. Do you think K9 units for law enforcement are dangerous to the public too? Our units not only were off leash in many instances, but they did demonstations at local schools around children off leash. No problems. They were also hard core trained.

Training is key. Had she been there with a beagle no one would have thought anything of it. I think that's the point. People are too lazy to educate themselves about the breed and just willing to accept the media BS hype.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:08 AM

8,191 posts, read 28,102,251 times
My last dog was a 130 pound Doberman/Rott mix. She walked around with a smile on her face. She was the friendliest dog on the planet. People were terrified of her.

I have a very clear memory of a woman picking up her child high in the air as we walked by (on a leash with a ball in the dog's mouth). I was so annoyed, I actually said "It's o.k., she snagged a kid about a block back. She is full now".

I have learned to ignore the ignorant behavior of other people. What is hard for me is knowing that people think I would walk around in public with a vicious dog. I mean, come on!

Old 05-15-2009, 10:10 AM

5,244 posts, read 14,015,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
My last dog was a 130 pound Doberman/Rott mix. She walked around with a smile on her face. She was the friendliest dog on the planet. People were terrified of her.

I have a very clear memory of a woman picking up her child high in the air as we walked by (on a leash with a ball in the dog's mouth). I was so annoyed, I actually said "It's o.k., she snagged a kid about a block back. She is full now".
I have learned to ignore the ignorant behavior of other people. What is hard for me is knowing that people think I would walk around in public with a vicious dog. I mean, come on!

OMG - I nearly fell out of my chair laughing!! Too funny!! Can I steal that line please? LOL!

She's just gorgeous BTW. Congratulations and thank you for being such a responsible owner! This world certainly needs more people like you!

Old 05-15-2009, 10:20 AM

8,191 posts, read 28,102,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
OMG - I nearly fell out of my chair laughing!! Too funny!! Can I steal that line please? LOL!

She's just gorgeous BTW. Congratulations and thank you for being such a responsible owner! This world certainly needs more people like you!
LOL! You may use that line over & over & over. My husband got really angry with me for saying it, but I couldn't help myself.

Thank you for the compliment. Bailey was an incredible creature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs