Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 01:03 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,788,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I should point out that Blizzard was 2.5 years old when I had to put Shasta down at 13.5 years old. I did not plan on getting another dog at that time. I wanted to wait until Blizzard got to be 7 or 8 years old. However, Blizzard changed after Shasta was no longer around. She become listless, didn't want to play, ate infrequently, and just stared at the wall most of the day. I had originally thought that Shasta and Blizzard did not get along well, but apparently they had formed some sort of bond.

About three months after I had to put Shasta down I got Buddy. He was 8 weeks old at the time, and I noticed an immediate improvement in Blizzard's demeanor. She still would not play with me, but she played with Buddy all the time and both her energy and appetite returned. They have been inseparable ever since.
I agree that dogs miss their companions. I had to get another dog 2 days after my Charlie died as Alixe was so morose she made my sorrow worse. Glad Blizzard has a new buddy to play with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 06:11 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,655,287 times
[quote=Glitch;8852197]No, I do not plan on having Buddy neutered. I think the health risks outweigh the benefits.

HUGE MYTH AND MISTAKE, get your dog neutered. It is very unhealthy for him not to be. You have it backwards. I do not know whoever told you that!

Old 05-17-2009, 11:28 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,435,652 times
[quote=Blondie621;8856818]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
No, I do not plan on having Buddy neutered. I think the health risks outweigh the benefits.

HUGE MYTH AND MISTAKE, get your dog neutered. It is very unhealthy for him not to be. You have it backwards. I do not know whoever told you that!
It is neither a myth nor a mistake. A neutered dog has:
  • an increased difficulty passing urinary calculi;
  • an increased chance of urinary obstruction;
  • an increased likelihood of urinary incontinence;
  • an increased likelihood of adverse reaction to vaccinations (27-38%);
  • a notable decrease in activity/drive;
  • their longevity reduced by 2 (or greater) years than unaltered littermates in controlled studies;
  • a 4 times greater chance of getting prostrate cancer;
  • a 2 times greater chance of getting osteosarcoma (bone cancer); and
  • an increased risk of hemangiosarcoma (blood vessel and spleen cancer).
Sources:
ScienceDirect - Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology : Canine prostate carcinoma: epidemiological evidence of an increased risk in castrated dogs
http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongT...uterInDogs.pdf
ScienceDirect - The Veterinary Journal : Host related risk factors for canine osteosarcoma
Wiley InterScience :: Session Cookies
Endogenous Gonadal Hormone Exposure and Bone Sarcoma Risk -- Cooley et al. 11 (11): 1434 -- Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention

Given the increased risks, I will not be neutering Buddy.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:45 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,906,933 times
The topic of this thread is "Introducing Dogs to Other Dogs." Bashing the OP for his decision to keep Buddy intact is inappropriate and unacceptable.

Please keep your posts topical and civil.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:36 PM

56 posts, read 176,392 times
Two Alpha females will not get along. If your sisters dog is not alpha than perhaps it can work, have them meet your sisters dog outside the fence they can meet each others smells etc....through the fence, do this for awhile, MAKE SURE you don't have any fear as dogs can smell this and that alone they will act on. Your sisters dog should fall into place when She knows that your dog is alpha, however that being said, if for some reason sisters dog is stuborn and won't submit, then please don't have them together, this is only going to cause problems. good luck.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suecharlo View Post
Two Alpha females will not get along. If your sisters dog is not alpha than perhaps it can work, have them meet your sisters dog outside the fence they can meet each others smells etc....through the fence, do this for awhile, MAKE SURE you don't have any fear as dogs can smell this and that alone they will act on. Your sisters dog should fall into place when She knows that your dog is alpha, however that being said, if for some reason sisters dog is stuborn and won't submit, then please don't have them together, this is only going to cause problems. good luck.
I am arranging to meet my sister at a friend's home (neutral territory), where she can first introduce me, and only me, to her Jersey. Once Jersey feels a little more comfortable around me, I will get Blizzard, muzzled and on a leash, and walk both Blizzard and Jersey about 15 to 20 feet apart. We will only allow them to get closer when they feel more relaxed around each other, at their own pace. As long as one is hostile toward the other, we will keep them both apart.

Then I will put Blizzard back in the car and get Buddy and repeat the process again. It should go much easier and quicker with Buddy.

I am not expecting things to go well with Blizzard initially, and I am prepared to keep both Buddy and Blizzard separate from Jersey. It will take time and patience.

Even if things do go well initially, I will not trust any of the three dogs to continue behaving well. I will eventually unmuzzle Blizzard of course, she cannot eat otherwise, but I think it is best that she stay leashed and in my control the entire time she is around Jersey.

I will continue to muzzle Blizzard when I leave the house, even if my sister is still there. It will take some time before my dogs understand that my sister also gives them commands to obey.

As far as which dog is going to be "in-charge", that has already been determined - Buddy. He already dominates Blizzard, and he is bigger than both Blizzard and Jersey combined. Blizzard is a 50 pound Alaskan Husky, Jersey is a 50 pound APBT, and Buddy is a 130 pound Mastiff. The only real question is which female will end up being the dominate female in the "pack."

I appreciate your advice, and I will do whatever is required to ensure that no dog gets into a fight. Even if it means keeping them completely separate the entire time she is here, or "Plan B", putting Jersey in a kennel while my sister is staying with me.

I will update this thread with the results of the encounter, what we did, how they reacted, etc. My sister and Jersey arrive next week.

Last edited by Glitch; 05-20-2009 at 09:11 PM..

Old 05-20-2009, 09:45 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,580,677 times
You never know maybe the dogs will all like each other, wouldn't that be nice? Years ago when Jazz was young there was a chow-chow that was like Jazz and did not like other dogs or I should say most other dogs . This was back when I could have Jazz at the park that allows off leash dogs as she would tend to just stay away from dogs she was afraid of or if she started looking stressed I could call her back and redirect her attention to her ball.

There was a lady with two Chow chows the older female would attack other dogs and I had seen her do so before. One day they were coming along and Jazz decided she was going to get closer and check this dog out neither dog was acting in angressive fashion so we let them get close and a funny thing happened they loved each other. They then became best pals and would look for each other at the park. The chows owner told me her dog hated to ride in cars and getting her into a car was a struggle. Well she was with Jazz when I opened my car door and in she jumped and both dogs sat in the back looking at me like ' get in lets go" . The owner was shocked and all I could think of to say was " I guess Jazz invited her to come home for a sleep over" It was too funny as one would never have thought this grumpy old Chow and a young fear aggressive Jazz would ever get along. So you just never know!

I will hope this is the case for Blizzard, Buddy and Jersey. Jan

Old 05-20-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
You never know maybe the dogs will all like each other, wouldn't that be nice? Years ago when Jazz was young there was a chow-chow that was like Jazz and did not like other dogs or I should say most other dogs . This was back when I could have Jazz at the park that allows off leash dogs as she would tend to just stay away from dogs she was afraid of or if she started looking stressed I could call her back and redirect her attention to her ball.

There was a lady with two Chow chows the older female would attack other dogs and I had seen her do so before. One day they were coming along and Jazz decided she was going to get closer and check this dog out neither dog was acting in angressive fashion so we let them get close and a funny thing happened they loved each other. They then became best pals and would look for each other at the park. The chows owner told me her dog hated to ride in cars and getting her into a car was a struggle. Well she was with Jazz when I opened my car door and in she jumped and both dogs sat in the back looking at me like ' get in lets go" . The owner was shocked and all I could think of to say was " I guess Jazz invited her to come home for a sleep over" It was too funny as one would never have thought this grumpy old Chow and a young fear aggressive Jazz would ever get along. So you just never know!

I will hope this is the case for Blizzard, Buddy and Jersey. Jan
It would be very nice indeed if they got along from the start. And it would not be unprecedented. As I mentioned before, Blizzard and my friend's German Shepard play all the time when I visit. No signs of aggression, they both got along terrifically, and both females. Blizzard is reluctant to leave when its time to go. The only dogs Blizzard has bitten have been my own, Buddy and Shasta.

As nice as it would be for everyone to get along, I will not be expecting things to go smoothly once we are at home, on Blizzard's territory.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:55 PM

56 posts, read 176,392 times
you said...As far as which dog is going to be "in-charge", that has already been determined Buddy. He already dominates Blizzard.

---------
Than if that's the case, He is the one to meet your sisters dog first, if he accepts your sisters dog, than in the animal world so should your female, as The male will make it known to the female he lives with and may just may put her in her place. so that part should be ok..

as for the females being together at your home, it's your sisters dog that should be more respectful to your female, because it's HER home. weather she does oR not, we WILL STAY TUNED

I know it takes a lot of work for certain dogs to meet but it looks like you have good steps going on.

P.S REMINDS ME OF THE ABOVE POSTER.

When I had My female chow (who has now passed of ole age) She was very Dom, and any females that came into her home would be respectful to her she would make it known if they did not fall into line right away, a couple of times, and females got the point.
As did males.
However there was this one Chow female who did not get the point nor cared as she too was very dom, and more agressive to the point she wanted to fight, and yes both dogs did fight, it was scarry, as chows will not back down from a fight and won't be the first to give in, they tend to have a lot of pride, even if it's the death of them, anyhow neither would let go and when My chow was hurt we finally got them apart, however as hurt as my chow was she wanted more and proceeded to go after the other chow, it was a mad house, and lets say that chow was not comming over again

point of the story? 2 dogs who think they are top, may not give in

Last edited by Suecharlo; 05-21-2009 at 06:04 PM..

Old 05-21-2009, 08:25 PM

314 posts, read 1,104,524 times
Please let the board know how this turns out. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs