U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 05:07 PM

17,850 posts, read 19,608,592 times

Advertisements

Background/History
I own two dogs
  • Blizzard - 5 year old Alaskan Husky mixed female (spayed); and
  • Buddy - 20 month old Mastiff mixed male (not neutered).
Blizzard has attacked other dogs, including Buddy, when I was not around. Last December I came home from work and Blizzard was a bloody, muddy, mess. Barely able to walk. After that incident, I began muzzling Blizzard every time I left her alone at home with Buddy. Since then, there has been no attacks. Buddy has never initiated an attack, but definitely finished a few.

Blizzard and Buddy both get along great around other people and kids, and with each other as long as I am around. Buddy also gets along great with other dogs. Blizzard does not like other dogs, and will only play with Buddy.

Here is the situation
My sister will be visiting me with her 4.5 year old APBT female (spayed) named Jersey. What is the best way to introduce Buddy and Blizzard to Jersey (preferably without bloodshed)?

I thought that I might take Blizzard, by herself, and meet my sister and her dog Jersey in some neutral territory while they are both on a leash and allow them to get to know each other first before introducing Jersey to Buddy.

Buddy will undoubtedly love the attention of another female dog, I am not worried about him. He out masses the other two dogs combined.

What I do not want to happen is for Blizzard and Jersey to get into a fight. Keeping Blizzard completely isolated from Jersey is not an option. So any advice you would be willing to part with would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 05:25 PM

3,627 posts, read 12,416,101 times
Why is keeping Blizzard isolated "not an option" - while I dont have the problem I know people who keep dogs separated all the time because one would kill the other.

If Blizzard attacked a young intact male she lives with I would put odds on her attacking the female APBT. Even my spayed female who is snarky with other females is great with intact males. And Buddy has been allowed to "finishe a few" which meant he was in a position to have to fight? That is NOT good. I would also never leave a muzzled dog unsupervised, even in a basket muzzle.

So advice you don't want to here.

Tell you sister to board her dog.

Consider finding a home for Buddy where he won't have to live under that constant threat before he is ruined - even if she can't bite him she wants to and that is no situation to force a dog in.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:42 PM

19,643 posts, read 53,556,179 times
Your dogs should be crated whenever you are not right there with them. Sorry but you have allowed this situation to get out of control and neither dog is benefiting. Your sister's dog should absolutely NOT come into your home while everything is so unstable.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Why is keeping Blizzard isolated "not an option" - while I dont have the problem I know people who keep dogs separated all the time because one would kill the other.
Because the purpose of getting a second dog (Buddy) is to keep Blizzard company when I am away for up to 10 hours each day working. Even when she is muzzled they can still be together. Keeping them separate would defeat the purpose of having two dogs.

Quote:
If Blizzard attacked a young intact male she lives with I would put odds on her attacking the female APBT. Even my spayed female who is snarky with other females is great with intact males. And Buddy has been allowed to "finishe a few" which meant he was in a position to have to fight? That is NOT good. I would also never leave a muzzled dog unsupervised, even in a basket muzzle.
That is very likely. Before I got Buddy, when Blizzard was 2 years old and younger, she lived with my 11 year old Golden Retreiver/Black Lab mixed female (spayed) named Shasta, and she still attacked Shasta on two occassions. Shasta never attacked Blizzard, not even in self-defense.

Before I was aware there was a problem with Blizzard and Buddy, Blizzard apparently (I was not there at the time) attacked Buddy and Buddy put her in her place. There were no rips or tears, but she did have a few puncture wounds. Like I said, since then I have been keeping Blizzard on a muzzle when I leave the two of them alone and there hasn't been any problems since.

Quote:
So advice you don't want to here.

Tell you sister to board her dog.

Consider finding a home for Buddy where he won't have to live under that constant threat before he is ruined - even if she can't bite him she wants to and that is no situation to force a dog in.
Boarding is not an option either. Not only is it too expensive, my sister would not want to give up her dog, and I don't blame her. Why would I want to get rid of Buddy when Blizzard is the problem dog?

Nobody is going to take a dog that has a history of biting other dogs. Not even a shelter. My only other option, if I can't work things out between them, is to put Blizzard down, and I would rather not do that if I don't have to.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Your dogs should be crated whenever you are not right there with them. Sorry but you have allowed this situation to get out of control and neither dog is benefiting. Your sister's dog should absolutely NOT come into your home while everything is so unstable.
How exactly did I allow things to get out of control? Did you even read what I posted? I was not home at the time Blizzard attacked Buddy. How was I suppose to prevent something that I had no idea was going to happen? Maybe next time you can offer some useful advice.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:57 PM

Once again, I am asking for advice on the best method to introduce two dogs that are known to each other, to a third dog that is a stranger to both.

Telling me "don't" or to get rid of my dogs or my sister's dog is not useful advice.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:59 PM

663 posts, read 1,607,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Nobody is going to take a dog that has a history of biting other dogs. Not even a shelter.
There are plenty of shelters that take aggressive dogs. My wife is on the board of directors for a dog rescue here in Los Angeles. I'd say at least half of their dogs are aggressive.

I'm not saying you should give your dog away, but just wanted to let you know that the shelter option is a viable one.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:59 PM

177 posts, read 631,215 times
Can you afford to board Blizzard? It might be difficult finding a place to take a dog-aggressive dog, but I have found one or two places in my area that will board them and keep them caged, as long as they aren't human-aggressive. Although it's not really great to endanger other dogs boarding, either.

What a difficult situation. I don't think there's anything you can do to trust Blizzard in the company of Jersey, unsupervised. Female-female fights are often the worst. I know you don't want to keep Blizzard isolated, but don't you think it would be in Jersey's best interest?

Old 05-15-2009, 06:17 PM

5,500 posts, read 19,526,364 times
Glitch,

I would not chance your girl with another female in the house unsupervised. You'd have to crate them. Two females can be a nasty combination. You might have a better chance introducing Blizzard to another male, but to another female, no way. This is asking for a major vet bill.

As far as Blizzard attacking Buddy, unneutered males can be a real pain in the butt. She may have gone after him because he was licking her relentlessly. I've seen a lot of females really go at a male who would not leave them alone.

If you want to introduce them, neutral territory is best. Introduce all the dogs separately and then together.

W.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:30 PM

3,627 posts, read 12,416,101 times
My advice to keep Blizzard and find a new home for Buddy was that Buddy would have a chance at a normal life. After re- reading this I see you really were not there when BUDDY tore up BLIZZARD so you assume she started it and he finished it. Who knows what really happened? Who knows how good Buddy is since he has already "finished" fights whatever that means.

All I can say for this situation is if your house has multiple rooms shuffle dogs and pray you don't mess up.

The fact that he has already "had to finish a few" means you really should not own dogs. I am sorry - dogs should NOT be allowed to fight and dog fights should be ended by humans not other dogs.

Maybe you don't want to here this but I will tell you this - If I were out walking MY dog and a dog like yours attacked my dog I would have zero problems with killing that dog - my dog would not be allowed to "finish a few" even if he could win.

Oh, for what its worth, my two dogs are perfectly wonderful with each other** but I do not leave them home alone loose with each other. Maybe you think something odd about that but you never know what can happen between two dogs.

**The last time I had one of my dogs puncture another one was in 1994 when my English Springer Spaniel lurched on another dog over a piece of food. One ear puncture before I broke it up. I have always had 2-3 dogs, German Shepherds. I have had my dogs attacked by a few loose dogs. The one I did not break up on my own was broken up by the agressor's [not my dog] owner with a boot to the head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or