Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 11:04 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,578,877 times

Advertisements

The 2nd to last icon under your screen name is the album icon - it looks more like a TV to me but it's an album. Just click on it and you'll see the albums. And thanks for the compliments on my grandchildren! I know you've seen the album if you've seen Wiggles and them, but I thought I'd post the info for others who might not know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 12:43 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,620,045 times
After doing rescue for sooo many years with so many different mixed breeds and pure. I am sure George is.......I finally thought of the breed......Lab/Rhodesian Ridgeback!

Old 05-18-2009, 01:00 PM

550 posts, read 1,630,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
After doing rescue for sooo many years with so many different mixed breeds and pure. I am sure George is.......I finally thought of the breed......Lab/Rhodesian Ridgeback!
I sooooo want to get a Doggie DNA test on George !!!

I figure the longer I put it off, the more accurate it will be and the cost may even go down. At least that's how I smack down the urge to run out and get him DNA tested.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:26 PM
miu

17,758 posts, read 40,008,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Don't lock the crate, lock the bedroom door. A child like Lizzy could go into the bedroom and torment the dog throuigh the crate. If a finger or hand gets poked at him and he nips it, you'd have the same problem all over again, except that then he'd be a "habitual biter."
I agree! Crate training is a good idea anyway, but lock that bedroom door when other kids are around.

And Lizzie sounds like an awful horrid child that will get your family into other trouble down the line.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:25 PM

212 posts, read 697,280 times
I have talked with god and this is what he said.A family dog is the greatest thing in the world for kids and a family.A child like lizzy is like poison for good children.Have a birthday party for the dog and keep your children away from lizzie.Get some spine and politely tell lizzies dad (he's the boss)that you love him and his family,...but his child cannot be around your kids.You have put alot of effort into raising your children and HIS daughter is a bad influence on them,because she doesn't listen and lies.Just explain thats what god told you.Train and socialize the dog everday.God loves dog owners.Not so much the parents with bad kids.Peace.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:47 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,948,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
When I first started reading your thread, I felt sorry for you to be put in such a situation. However, the idea that you would consider putting George down because of your Bible group makes me very glad that I don't belong to one. Why do you want to associate with people like this and why do you think it would be okay to put him down just so the group can last another year? Get a backbone, stand up to the group, and drop out of this "Christian" group. Teach your children well and run as fast as you can away from those people. Lizzy may be in a dysfunctional family, but she has learned to play the blame game. For now, she is trouble. Her family is a poison to yours. Make new friends, go to a new church, and take care of your entire family, including George.
I could not agree more !!! to be dang with that church group I would never put my dog down due to a church group. Amen !!!! Oh yes and lizzies dad needs to read the bible . A particular verse comes to mind spare the rod and spoil the child.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:21 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,367,165 times
Come on guys, she said way back when she wasn't seriously thinking of putting him down, was just brainstorming, ie thinking out loud. Besides, they've all bonded w/ George and I'm sure will do their utmost in keeping him out of iffy situations etc. Anyhow, I think he'll do well w/ a crate. I sold an extra one recently to someone for her new pup and she showed me a photo of her other dog who had never been crated who decided she liked the crate too, LOL (it was a cute photo of the older girl in the new pup's crate ;-) ).

Old 05-18-2009, 08:30 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,469,438 times
I think a DNA test is unnecessary, unless you're just curious. But to spent that money just to prove something to intolerant people who are in denial about their own child's behavior? It will have a temporary effect, if any at all.

This seems like a turning point in your religious journey. Choose to study mere words intellectually, or study the Divine through your experiences with your angel dog.

Animals are closer to Godliness than we humans could ever be. As you said, he has many years left - many years to teach you more of what he knows about life lived to the fullest in every moment. It sounds like this group of humans you belong to has nothing left to teach anyone.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
And Lizzie sounds like an awful horrid child that will get your family into other trouble down the line.
Fortunately, what is now being called "The George Incident", along with Lizzy behavior at Grandma's the next day for Mother's Day, were both wake up calls for her parents... so they are now going to family counseling. Don't know if they have gone to their first appointment yet, but it's planned.

My girls will not be babysitting for Lizzy again, and she will not be invited to my house anytime in the near future - at least not w/o her parents present. Lizzy's dad personally did the child care for this past week, and it was only his kids and one other child because we did it on Sunday evening so most of the dads were home. [We are doing every week for 6 weeks, just for the current sermon series.] Lizzy's mom is dropping out of the bible study after this study is completed, to concentrate, she says, on working w/Lizzy in family therapy.

Lizzy's mom is one of my closest friends, and we are doing a community garden together this summer - so we will still be in contact with the family, but ONLY when at least one parent is also present. So there will never be a liability issue for myself or my girls.

So I think, w/o totally writing off the relationships, we have put in place boundaries to protect all involved for the moment. I pray Lizzy's parents figure out how to give her the firm hand she needs, and I pray it works. She's at a critical age, just finishing 6th grade this spring... if they don't reach her now, I can't imagine what troubles her teenage years will bring!

But for the grace of God, there go I... my husband was raised by a dad who was in the Marine, and he's black & southern [I'm white & northern], suffice to say, we were raised with two different standards regarding child discipline.

Over the years we've had a few disagreements about child discipline, but only a few. Mostly I've deferred to him because I know my own upbringing was much to permissive, so we have gone with a firmer hand for our children... not quite as firm as he might have liked on occasion, but he is definitely strict, and I have learned to not let a kid throwing a temper tantrum to "win" and our kids know how to submit to authority. They also know how to make an appeal of authority, and believe me they use that option often!

If I had not married a man who is as strict about child discipline as my husband is, I could envision having the same types of problems my friend is having with her daughter. So as I said... but for the grace of God, there go I.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:19 AM

Default Introducing... Lulu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandinmyshoes View Post
I have talked with god and this is what he said.A family dog is the greatest thing in the world for kids and a family.A child like lizzy is like poison for good children.Have a birthday party for the dog and keep your children away from lizzie.Get some spine and politely tell lizzies dad (he's the boss)that you love him and his family,...but his child cannot be around your kids.You have put a lot of effort into raising your children and HIS daughter is a bad influence on them,because she doesn't listen and lies.Just explain thats what god told you.Train and socialize the dog everday.God loves dog owners.Not so much the parents with bad kids.Peace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I could not agree more !!! to be dang with that church group I would never put my dog down due to a church group. Amen !!!! Oh yes and lizzies dad needs to read the bible . A particular verse comes to mind spare the rod and spoil the child.

Okay, okay...

I did just about everything suggested in these post, except for leave the bible study group. I wrote Lizzie's parents an email and gave them all the details of what, from our perspective, took place a week ago Saturday w/the "George Incident". We have set down new boundaries. My girls will not be babysitting Lizzy again. Lizzy's mom announced she will be stepping back from the bible study, so I will be in it still. Actually, I'd still be in the bible study even if Lizzie's mom was still in the bible study, this just makes it easier with regards to my girls doing child care for our bible studies.

I have gone deep with this group of women, as they have gone with me... they rallied around our family last year when our oldest daughter was hospitalized, for example. This incident was not good, but I think we have worked through it. A couple of the women from the group are still skittish about George, so we'll probably have our next group bbq and somewhere other than my house... but that's okay. [Look at it this way, I don't have to clean for a group event at my house.] I wish I would have done some things differently, like thought to put the extra keyed lock we already own on the bedroom door... but hindsight is 20/20. Shrug.

For the sake of future visitors, I will get a lock for our bedroom door, and I will also Crate-Train George, so there is no future danger of this sort of thing happening again - with any kid. It's the responsible dog owner thing to do, so that's no big deal.

+++

Birthday party for George? Now that is something I had not thought of, but you know what - it's a good idea. We found George the last week of April a year ago. I think we need to give him a belated b-day party this week! Thank you for the suggestion.

We already gave George a present... last night we took in a foster dog, a girl pitbull mix named Lulu. So George now has a foster sister!

It's a really, really sad story regarding why Lulu needed a new home. Her owner was a single mom who tragically died in a drowning accident last week, the funeral was today. The grandparents took in the three children, ages 4,3 & 1 - and Lulu, who will be 1 in June. After a few days, they realized they couldn't take on the three children and another dog, because they already had a Rotty. Their Rotty needs $30 of meds a month, so they decided Lulu would have a better chance of finding a new home. I didn't get a lot of information on Lulu's background when I went to pick her up last night. The grandparents seemed to me to be in shock - who wouldn't be in their situation? The grandfather said he got Lulu for his daughter from a co-worker and they were told Lulu's mother was a full-blooded pitbull but they didn't know about the father. He thought she was born in June of last year. When I asked about a vet or shots, the grandmother broke into tears, saying she didn't know and her daughter wasn't here to tell her. [That's when I learned Lulu's owner had drowned, before that I had only been told she'd died.]

The kids, Lulu's kids, wanted to see the kids who would be taking her, so I took my kids to pick up Lulu - and we took George, to introduce them to one another. Just looking at the three little kids, a red-headed boy, a strawberry blond girl, and a little boy with the same name as my son, Isaiah, in a high chair - it just about broke my heart. They have no idea how much their lives have forever been changed. No idea. And I have no idea where the kids' father may be, they looked like they all had the same father, but where is he? I wasn't about to ask and perhaps add to the family's pain.

We have a large, fenced in, backyard. Seeing George and Lulu play is magical. George is dominant, Lulu is submissive. So there isn't a huge power struggle going on. They play as dogs play, soft mouthing one another, wrestling, that sort of thing. George did do some humping on her, but he's neutered so he didn't get very far with that...

I need to talk to the rescue group about getting her spayed, I know they will cover that and shots.

George and Lulu pinned at one point, and she rolled away from him down the hill. She rolled, and rolled and rolled and rolled.... all the way down the hill. But then she got up and they chased each other around the yard. We have a large yard, and it's hilly... they go up and down and around and around. It's so much fun.

Tonight I went to Petsmart and got her a new tag and a leash. They have this great leash at Petsmart for only $6... it has a car seat bickle built into the leash, it has a velcroed cover for when you are not using the buckle, and their is also a velcroed pouch with a zipper for storing a key or empty poop bags. I got two, one for George and one for Lulu.

Lulu came with a crate. We'll keep them separated when we are not there to supervise them - at least until we know for sure they play nice together.

I know someone will ask for photos. I havn't taken any yet, but I'll see if I can use my daughters camera and I'll try to get some up later in the week.

Last edited by StPaulEastSider; 05-19-2009 at 12:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs