Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2009, 11:28 AM

452 posts, read 1,717,401 times

Advertisements

What does everyone else do when they see dog/dogs left in a car while the owner shops?? The days here are starting out cool...but things heat up fast..esp in a closed car. We now have laws that make some things a felony so the cops have more clout...but my emotions get the best of me and I fear I'll approach the next one the wrong way. Plus, you have to be sure the car's engine isn't running...because that's NOT illegal. These things are not given priority and who knows how long the animal has been left there in the first place.

Should I sit back and call the police or what?? Most businesses refuse to get involved..and most people just walk on by. The last time I came upon a dog left out in the August heat in an open trailer (three years ago) while the owners were inside a cool rest. having lunch...I almost went berserk. I scared myself. The puppy was crying and his little feet were hot and he had no water or shade...I ended up with the puppy in my arms and standing face to face with a kid several inches taller than I was....making him promise to never do that again. I could have been arrested. Charged.

Ystrday, at Lowe's I called 911 and was given dispatch...and the guy showed up and was leaving as I was talking on the phone. I'm still upset.

Is it just me? How much therapy do I need?

This is also the time of year that kids get left behind...there were several that died last year in hot cars in various states. It all gives me nightmares.
My husband says I have to stop being this way because I'm headed for trouble. I think he's right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 11:49 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,624,238 times
Go into the store and tell the manager or call the cops. I just saw three left in a car with the windows down about 4 inches here in Florida on Sat. The car with the dogs were there when I parked. I was in the store for at least a half hour, when I came out the dogs were still there in the hot car. What bothered me, was the one dog was tilting its head sideways trying to get it out the window. If it was able to, it would have strangled itself since these were not big dogs, maybe 25 bs. and I think if that dog tried hard enough it could have done it. Here in Florida when I call they do nothing. They say people sit in hot cars and survive. They do not care in this state, horrible!
So yes, call the police or give the plate number in the store. I hate when people do this, it is soooo upsetting!
I am exactly like you, someday I will get arrested, I have to be careful. About 6 months ago here in Florida I had parked my car in Walmart. As I was walking into the store I saw something in the back of an open truck. This idiot redneck had three dogs in a low steel crate in the back of that truck with a divider down the middle of it. The dog on the right was about 80 lbs and squished in there panting like crazy and the dog on the other side was the same size but there was also another dog squished in there with him or her. It was a Jack Russel. They could not move in there and could not stand up, since this special made contraption was only about two and a half feet high, if that. I do not even know how he got those dogs in that small contraption! I was petting them with my fingers thru the crate. They were hot! I was ballistic at the site of this. It was at night and about 88 degrees out. Very hot! I went into the store and told a head cashier, she was from NY and she told me to call the cops. I figured I would shop and maybe the dogs would be gone when I came out. 45 minutes later those dogs were still there. I called the cops and they told me, Lady, it is hot out for people too! They would do nothing! I wrote down the guys plate number and held onto it for a while but there was nothing I could do! That guy even had a padlock on that crate! I also see them down here driving around with the dogs in open back trucks lose in all this heat! Sometimes these dogs look like they want to jump out while the trucks are going 60mph! Stupid people! Gets me too upset!

Last edited by Blondie621; 05-18-2009 at 12:01 PM..

Old 05-18-2009, 01:29 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,242,621 times
I actually called the cops last week when I saw a tiny dachshund puppy in a very hot car, parked in the sun at the mall. Now here in San Diego, you can bring your pets to the mall, and if they're that tiny, you can bring them into the stores with you. It was in the 80s outside that day, and my car heated up very quickly when I turned the engine off. The poor thing was exhausted and just laying there. Luckily, an officer was actually crusing the parking lot so he got there in minutes. The cops were able to get it out, though I'm not sure what happened with the owners since I left after I saw the puppy was safe.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:00 PM

I think this is my hot button issue...and I'm not alone! My blood pressure can go up jst reading about all of this. If only we could put people in those crates...in those hot cars...in the backs of those trucks...and let THEM feel what the animals feel. Justice. As it is, fines and punishment aren't enough..IMO.

Thanks for posting. I know I'm not the only one who gives a damn but it's almost like spitting in the wind.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:08 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,624,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkLexee View Post
I think this is my hot button issue...and I'm not alone! My blood pressure can go up jst reading about all of this. If only we could put people in those crates...in those hot cars...in the backs of those trucks...and let THEM feel what the animals feel. Justice. As it is, fines and punishment aren't enough..IMO.

Thanks for posting. I know I'm not the only one who gives a damn but it's almost like spitting in the wind.
I am with you all the way Ark! The punishment never fits the crime when it comes to animals. I am ashamed to live in a country like ours today where such horrendous animal abuse goes on day in and day out. You would think this would happen only in a jungle somewhere. This country has become a jungle. These abusers should not be allowed to walk this earth!

Old 05-18-2009, 06:20 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,208,235 times
Default Yes it is and.......

I am never afraid to call the Cops in these situations.
I would kick myself if I didn't at least try to get some help.
Luckily our local Police force takes these things pretty seriously, most of the time.

Last edited by Summerz; 05-18-2009 at 06:57 PM..

Old 05-18-2009, 08:49 PM

I think part of the prob here in arkansas is the hunter mentality...and the chicken farmers who are so accustomed to dealing with animals they consider braindead from the beginning. Hunters....they let those dogs run and run and run and then...either get lost or die. Some good hunters have their dogs fitted with tracking collars but it never fails...dogs on the side of the road..waiting to be "found". Every season. I hate it!!

I will never forget the time I didn't act and that is prob the one thing that is behind the passion I have for this. I've beaten myself up over and over for that and promised myself I'd never fail to at least try to speak up for an animal being abused.

So far...so good. And I'm not in jail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs