Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 09:10 PM

2 posts, read 6,109 times

Advertisements

I not long ago bought a shiba inu puppy, Sonic, and as he's been growing up we've been having some difficulties. 1- He doesn't play well with the other dogs/cats. I chases them, pounces on them, and thinks he's playing all the while. 2- He comes when I snap my fingers, but not when he's extremely excited, and 3- He jumps all over guests who enter my house.

Someone, anyone, please help me figure a way to train my puppy so he stops chasing the cats/other dogs, comes when I call him, and lastly chills a little bit.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 09:12 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,346,006 times
Sounds like most puppies to me! I would recommend lots of exercise, and a "puppy kindergarten" class which is basic obedience and socialization.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:15 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,330,001 times
First ,get into a puppy class for socialization and direction. Second, contact your local breed club, I'm sure they will have plenty of insite into breed specific quirks.

I feel for yah, I have an 18 week old sheltie that I got at 10 weeks and raising a puppy is a HUGE responsiblity to shape them into the dog you want. I've gotten lots of help from my local breed club and have found several trainers that own and compete my breed of dog.

Good luck!

Old 05-21-2009, 12:18 AM

2 posts, read 6,109 times
Local breed club? I live in Palm Bay FL. and I'm having a really hard time finding a local breed club.

For instance, tonight, I attempted to take him for a walk on the leash for the first time, and he FREAKED out (as I'd expected) starting trashing about, crying, jumping. How should I go about leash training him?

Also, the cat situation is driving everyone crazy, should I punish him when he attacks the other animals or what?

Old 05-21-2009, 12:31 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,346,006 times
You can get training other places. Ask friends, talk to your vet etc. Just make sure you find one that uses positive training techniques. For puppy kindergarten you can even call Petsmart. I believe most of them do training classes. In the meantime go to the library and check out some books on puppies, behavior and training. A good one is How to Raise a Perfect Puppy (I think Reader's Digest publishes it).

Old 05-21-2009, 12:32 AM

1,116 posts, read 2,952,696 times
Shibas will always do the welcome dance and jump...I think that's just a fact of the breed.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:26 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,554,609 times
Though I am not familiar with this breed, it sounds like pretty normal puppy behavior to me...training classes are a good idea especially if this is your 1st time raising from puppyhood. I have taken in quite a few foster puppies and some have tried to chase my cats, but my technique is to say NO very firmly and put them in another room with the door closed for 5-10 minutes when they do something aggressive/undesirable, and they usually catch on pretty quickly. Also reward them with healthy treats when they do what you want them to do...pleasing their humans is an inherant trait in most dogs, but we have to be clear about what pleases us and what makes us unhappy...good luck!!!

Old 05-21-2009, 06:20 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,330,001 times
Here is the Shiba Inu Club

National Shiba Club of America

You can contact these people via email or phone to see about anyone local, also talk to your breeder.

Ummm leash walking and any other behaviors are learned and it takes time.
Here is one of many many trainers in your area putting on the STARS program that I'm going thru right now.

VIP - Very Important Paws - Dog Daycare, Hotel & Training (http://www.veryimportantpaws.com/puppy-garten.php - broken link)

Your lucky you live in an urban environment and there are lots of trainers close by...I drive an hour one way with a car sick puppy to get to those puppy classes. I also have read lots of books and have a DVD.

What are you planning to do with your dog? Is he a pet or will you compete?

Old 05-21-2009, 06:45 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,853,900 times
This is absolutely NORMAL puppy behavior!!!!

YOU have to put in effort to train him. Agree completely with suggestions for puppy classes, etc. But what you're seeing is NORMAL!

NO dog will come when he's excited, unless a LOT of work has already gone into training a really reliable recall!

You're expecting a puppy to behave like a dog that's been trained and has matured!

Old 05-22-2009, 01:20 PM

37 posts, read 218,407 times
I am involved with my local Shiba club and am a proud Shiba owner. Where did you get your pup from? What research was done in selecting a Shiba?

Shibas generally don't get along well with other dogs. Most reputable breeders are trying to work on this but there are still some that just don't get along with other dogs. Did the breeder have cats or did you properly socialize with cat? Shibas have a high prey drive and will chase cats. They are very dominate dogs and need training. I would recommend you get involved in a training class as soon as possible. You can check AKC's website for a local dog training club in your area for classes. You really need to be a pack leader with this breed and know what you are doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs