Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2009, 12:27 PM

603 posts, read 1,947,169 times

Advertisements

I have a pomeranian chihuahua mix that doesnt stop barking.He'd be a perfect little dog if he'd shut up!!I adopted him from my job about amonth ago.Probably why no one came in to claim him!!We had mostly dirtbags looking at him and hes a good little boy and i kind of fell for him.Well after a few weeks of having him he barks non stop.I kid you not,on monday we had a barbeque and he was outside with us and there was a CATERPILLAR on the ground that he was staring at and barking at!! There was a group of bees by my shed..he was staring up at them and barking!!!I want to strangle him!!Im just looking for any advice.So many of you on here are very intelligent and very good with training.I cant re home him.I want to try to solve this otherwise ill just have to deal with it.I was thinking about those collars they have.Citronella wouldnt work because ive tried a spray bottle with him.I hear terrible things about the shock collar.I dont like to use physical contact on my dogs.LoL i do try to do the poke thing that Cesar Milan does and sometimes it does work.

Any input is appreciated at this point!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 12:33 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,423,539 times
Have you tried the pennies in a soda can trick yet? Put some coins in an empty soda can and tape the top of it completely. When he barks, command 'no' or 'quiet' or whatever you want to use and toss the can in his direction. Really works best on tile floors. It'll scare the snot out of him, but not cause any harm. Eventually if you do this religiously - and it takes a while, don't give up too quick - he'll stop the barking. The trick is to command and give a brief second for him to obey. If he doesn't then he gets the can. And don't hit the little yapper with it; just toss beside him. Keep treats on hand as well, so that if he obeys the command you treat immediately!

Old 05-27-2009, 12:46 PM

603 posts, read 1,947,169 times
no i havent tried that yet!!I used to use it YEARSSS ago and it worked on some.I will give it a shot.I dont hit him.I think some one did at one point in his life though.Ill grab him by the scruff,gently,and hell growl and snap at me!Even if i take my finger and "poke" hell do it!I was told that when you scruff an animal it is kind of like what their mother did to discipline them.A lot of people like it and a lot dont.I just dont believe in hitting an animal.But my little JoJo definately doesnt like to be told what to do!Hes such a good dog otherwise though.He LOVESSS going for car rides,hes very good in crowds of people,very friendly.He will sit on ANYONES lap!Hes playful!His favorite buddies are my pitbull and st bernard puppy!While he drives me and the two other people in my house CRAZY i cannot simply get rid of him.Youre supposed to atleast try to work out the issues!Pets are not disposable!And i dont know who else would put up with him and his issues.I could never live with myself if i placed him with some one else.Once they come to my house they usually dont leave until their time comes because of old age!

Thanks for your suggestion!!

Old 05-27-2009, 12:53 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,132,127 times
We have barkers (all chi) . What works with ours is a little spray bottle of water. We spray them a quick mist (not the hard stream) and say "no bark". It seems to work and doesn't hurt them. Of course, they do not like water, I'm guessing a Pom/chi mix would't either. Now all I usually have to say is "I'm getting the water!" and they quit. Good luck, the constant yap can be annoying!

Old 05-27-2009, 12:58 PM

315 posts, read 1,088,092 times
If the can with pebbles doesn't work do you think you could try retraining him? What I mean is that whenever he starts barking for whatever reason try calling him to you and make him sit, then reward him for sitting. Try alternating between the sit, down, stay, anything that will divert his attention to you then treat but don't let him go back to the source of the barking. Other than that you might have to resort to a muzzle but you'd have to get one that allows him to drink with it on. You could tether him to your waist so he will have to follow you wherever you go, if he starts barking at something you go in the house or change rooms, whatever it takes. Those little dogs sometimes bark for the sheer pleasure of hearing their own voices....lol. Is he getting enogh exercise to tire him out? Maybe add more evercise to his routine. And as a last resort you could try training him to bark only on command using his barking as the starting cue. Try not to give him attention when he does bark, sometimes leaving the room will deter them as they don't like to be alone .

Old 05-27-2009, 02:58 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,423,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcrazy View Post
no i havent tried that yet!!I used to use it YEARSSS ago and it worked on some.I will give it a shot.I dont hit him.I think some one did at one point in his life though.Ill grab him by the scruff,gently,and hell growl and snap at me!Even if i take my finger and "poke" hell do it!I was told that when you scruff an animal it is kind of like what their mother did to discipline them.A lot of people like it and a lot dont.I just dont believe in hitting an animal.But my little JoJo definately doesnt like to be told what to do!Hes such a good dog otherwise though.He LOVESSS going for car rides,hes very good in crowds of people,very friendly.He will sit on ANYONES lap!Hes playful!His favorite buddies are my pitbull and st bernard puppy!While he drives me and the two other people in my house CRAZY i cannot simply get rid of him.Youre supposed to atleast try to work out the issues!Pets are not disposable!And i dont know who else would put up with him and his issues.I could never live with myself if i placed him with some one else.Once they come to my house they usually dont leave until their time comes because of old age!

Thanks for your suggestion!!

Pits are amazing, aren't they? I can see me with a housefull if I'm not careful!! LOL

Diva, our pit, is best friends with Butch, our chi.

Good luck with your little guy and the barking. I know it's frustrating.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:11 PM

18,383 posts, read 19,010,807 times
I read if you teach them to bark on command you can teach them to hush on command. mine barks and thinks she is a wacth dog. mine will hush sometimes but sometimes she is way to focused to even listen. I shut the door so she can't see all the activity that gets her going. that helps. I also gave her treats when she would hush on command. re directing also helps too. mabe a kong with treats to give her something to do. good luck

Old 05-27-2009, 03:28 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3chidogs View Post
We have barkers (all chi) . What works with ours is a little spray bottle of water. We spray them a quick mist (not the hard stream) and say "no bark". It seems to work and doesn't hurt them. Of course, they do not like water, I'm guessing a Pom/chi mix would't either. Now all I usually have to say is "I'm getting the water!" and they quit. Good luck, the constant yap can be annoying!
Yes this is what worked with our two chihuahuas and it stopped barking almost instantly . they got the idea after about three times of being shot with the water .

Old 05-27-2009, 04:27 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,658,354 times
I adopted one years ago and my Mom has had him for 4 years now. I adopted him because my rescue group said he was turned in because he would not eat dog food, would wee in the house and was a huge yapper.
I fixed everything except the yapping. He was not all that bad though. Poms have very good hearing. They hear every noise and bark at it. They are excellent watch dogs!

Old 05-27-2009, 04:28 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
they have a reputation for doing much much worse than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs