U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2009, 04:38 PM

36,484 posts, read 43,747,138 times

Advertisements

Lucy-our 7 year old bichon rescued at age 2 is peeing only once or twice a day. We moved to a new town and house in March and of course every walk involved numerous stops to mark and pee. Now she won't pee but two times a day and even then we have to walk her around and around further then we wanted to walk her. In our old neighborhood we were able to let her out the front door a few times a day and she would literally pee on command. She is a good leash walker so that isn't the problem but in this new neighborhood we are trying to be better neighbors and insist on walking her with very little off leash time.
She is still eating and drinking alot, plays just fine and no other problem. Is is OK for my dog to only pee twice a day?
Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 04:55 PM

13,814 posts, read 14,645,759 times
I read somewhere where dogs can hod it for an hour to every year they are if she is 7 thats 7 hours. my dog is about 2.5 and the other day I was out with her and she pee'd like she had held it for 12 hours! I was amazed at how long she was at it!. maybe your dog just had a routine at the old house and was peeing due to habit more than anything. new house, new routine. to be on the safe side you might want to ask your vet as I am unsure of where the info I got is true or not. you aso might want to keep track of her water intake, that might give you a clue if she is going enough. good luck

Old 05-28-2009, 05:10 PM

399 posts, read 1,967,595 times
I had a poodle mix that would pee twice and that was because I made her go out. Otherwise I bet she would hold it much longer. She liked to go early in the morning, but I had to force her outside at night to go. She was about 15lbs. And she lived to be 18 1/2 yrs. But she was really like that her whole life.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:59 PM

5,244 posts, read 14,018,762 times
I'd get her in for a urinalysis just in case. It's possible that the stress of the move and the new surroundings she's just holding it out of nervousness in not wanting to go out into that strange new world. But I'd still have it done just in case.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:05 PM

557 posts, read 2,321,740 times
My new male adult lab/pit bull mix from the shelter goes about twice a day only, too. He gets 2 long walks a day plus at 2 shorter ones. My other males loved to mark everything outdoors so he's a puzzle. His urinalysis was negative so I figure it's just the way he is.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:44 PM

1,121 posts, read 3,196,526 times
You are in a new neighborhood and you dog isn't sure whose scent she is covering up with hers. She may be intimidated by the new surroundings. Why not try walking her around your own yard and house and let her claim that before she has to claim the neighborhood. If you have a dog park nearby, take her there so she can interact with the neighbors.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:32 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,828,417 times
Your dog probably just needs to get used to the new place. Our dog holds in his pee whenever we go anywhere... I just don't think he likes going potty in public (well, anywhere except our house) unless he has too, stage fright?

Old 05-30-2009, 03:02 PM

2,697 posts, read 7,787,713 times
Default Be careful bcse. Bichons are prone to bladder stones

If it persists, I would have her checked by the vet. We have a 7 year old Bichon who had to have bladder surgery 3 years ago (she has crystals in her bladder again, but we haven't had to have surgery again yet). Bichons are prone to bladder stones (I think calcium oxylate are common for Bichons) and one thing I was told to prevent them was to make sure she drinks a lot (doesn't seem like you have a problem there) and goes out often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs