U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 05:34 AM

305 posts, read 1,076,309 times

Advertisements

any ever use one????
for how long at a time, for training,
oppose? for?
oppinions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 07:06 AM

8,080 posts, read 13,455,455 times
We used one to break the habitual repetitive barking ours was doing when the moon came out.

I never left it on all the time and it seemed to not actually hurt the dog
based on the reaction. More like a mild annoyance.

I was worried our dog would be afraid to bark when appropriate but this wasn't a problem.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:16 AM

8,309 posts, read 34,386,059 times
E-collars can be great tools, but they do require special conditioning and some fairly advanced and time consuming procedures to implement properly and humanely. If you just slap a bark collar on the dog and hope for the best, you're essentiall torturing your dog. The dog doesn't have a foundation to understand why it gets a shock and the association becomes something like "when they put that thing on my neck I get shocks and don't know why". Then the dog just hates the collar and is terrorized by the mere sight of it in your hands.

If you do it the right way, shock collars are perfectly humane and reasonable; no different than a pinch collar. However, if you aren't familiar with the process of introducing an e-collar to a dog then this can be real torture and is probably a job for a pro.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:51 AM

13,103 posts, read 24,877,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
E-collars can be great tools, but they do require special conditioning and some fairly advanced and time consuming procedures to implement properly and humanely. If you just slap a bark collar on the dog and hope for the best, you're essentiall torturing your dog. The dog doesn't have a foundation to understand why it gets a shock and the association becomes something like "when they put that thing on my neck I get shocks and don't know why". Then the dog just hates the collar and is terrorized by the mere sight of it in your hands.

If you do it the right way, shock collars are perfectly humane and reasonable; no different than a pinch collar. However, if you aren't familiar with the process of introducing an e-collar to a dog then this can be real torture and is probably a job for a pro.
Good advice, I use an E collar that works like an underground fence.
It took one day for my dog to learn her boundaries in the yard..if she ventures to close she gets a warning click and backs away real fast. It's agreat tool as it allows her freedom in the yard....that said my yard is not fenced and even with the e collar on she is not put out there by herself..hubbie or I are out there too

Old 05-31-2009, 11:48 AM

173 posts, read 501,775 times
Friends of ours have a citronella collar that they use on their dog for barking. Instead of a shock, the collar sprays citronella, which is enough of a distraction to get him to stop barking. It's worked for them..

Old 05-31-2009, 12:39 PM

550 posts, read 1,427,934 times
We used a barking collar on our Sheltie/American Eskimo rescue named Chevy... we had to put it on tight, or he would push it out of position. After a few weeks, we were actually able to remove the collar and he still didn't bark - at least not all the time, as he did prior to using the barking collar.

We lived in a suburb at the time, and Chevy had a huge backyard, which was great for the exercise he needed, but the neighbors complained about his barking - so we had to do something. It didn't matter if we were outside with him or not, he'd still bark excessively. It was in his genes to bark. I hated putting the barking collar on Chevy, but in the end, it saved him from getting rehomed.

We were told the citronella collar doesn't have a high rate of success. The store owner said she didn't plan to restock the citronella collars once her inventory was depleted, because she had had too many of the citronella collars returned and exchanged for electronic barking collars.

My husband and I both "tested" the electronic collar by holding it to our own neck and talking. There was no ignoring the "shock", but I wouldn't call it abusive.

If you dog has long hair, be sure to use the longer prongs on the collar.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:40 PM

11 posts, read 17,973 times
Wink Citronella Collar

This seems like something I'd want to try FIRST! I cannot imagine using a shock collar on my Chub-a-licious Chester. He barks alot when he is in the company of a person that he feels is unfriendly towards me. Sometimes it is annoying, but on the whole, I'd rather him be cautious.

Old 05-31-2009, 02:48 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,310,800 times
Have you tried teaching your dog not to bark?

Old 06-01-2009, 07:13 AM

510 posts, read 1,843,746 times
My sister in law used the citronella collar also. It worked great. She had a problem with him going after the cat, and some other behavior issues. It was about $100 though. Now her son is using it for thier puppy, and she seems to be learning very quickly.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:49 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,310,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquastone View Post
My sister in law used the citronella collar also. It worked great. She had a problem with him going after the cat, and some other behavior issues. It was about $100 though. Now her son is using it for thier puppy, and she seems to be learning very quickly.

Doesn't anyone train their dogs with positive training? What is it he is trying to get the puppy not to do? Not act like a puppy? Putting a collar on a pup to stop a certain behavior is just being lazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs