Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 05:46 PM

161 posts, read 568,412 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Our standard poodle is almost 2 1/2 years old, and 55 pounds. He has been to two training sessions already and is wonderful as far as sitting, staying, even coming when called he is 98% reliable. But he is terrible when new people (or just people in general) come over to our house! He gets very excitable, jumpy, sniffs all over and will even mouth guests' hands (he does not bite per se, but takes the hand with a soft mouth). Needless to say, this is not good, especially for the children who come over to play, as they can be easily knocked over. It is to the point where we have to put the dog outdoors when people come in our house, or hold him by the collar the whole time or keep him on a leash until he tires out and realizes the people are "cool".

Eventually he calms down enough to where we can release him and he is less enthusiastic about his greetings, but what are some things we can do to facilitate a more pleasant visiting experience for everyone? We are about to move to a new neighboorhood and I don't want to be the house with the crazy dog where children are afraid to play (or a lawsuit waiting to happen)...

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 05:50 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,899 times
Ummm....make the kids play out in the backyard and keep the pooch in the house??

Old 05-29-2009, 06:07 PM

18,382 posts, read 19,018,265 times
from what I have read this could be a combo of several things. one is the dog is trying to show he is dominate the other is that he has been allowed to do it and views it as normal. dogs greet each other by smell and people are so much taller is one reason why he wants to jump up to our height so he can smell/greet us. do you make a big fuss saying hello to him when you come home? come into your home and do not greeet him until you have put your things down, then tell him to sit down and do not reward him with a pet until he is calm and sitting. same thing with visitors. I have also read it is good to greet them stooping which brings the visitor more down to their level and hleps reduce the need for them to jump up. also try not to introduce them until he is calm. 2.5 is still young yet. reward him with treats. also I would try to re enforce the down or off command. my dog doesn't jump on people too much but still demands way too much attention when a new person comes around. she calms down after a bit, she is about the same age as your dog. I hope in another 6 months or so she will grow up a bit more in this area. good luck

Old 05-29-2009, 06:34 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
You need a trainer that will come to your home and help you work on this. It can be done!

Old 05-29-2009, 10:44 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,814,317 times
I'm having the same problem with my dogs (4 of them!). I read that when you come through the door, ignore the dog! Do not pet him, do not greet him, do not look at him, do not acknowledge him. Turn your back to him, like he's not there. My dogs settle down after about a minute, then I wait about another 5 minutes before I greet them. I just go about my business.

I've only been doing this for a few days, but so far, they're getting the hint not to rush me when I come through the door, as I'm not responding to them. Yes, they start to jump, but then they settle down when I just turn my back to them.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:48 PM

378 posts, read 1,206,887 times
If he's not neutered, I bet that would help.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:51 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,739,685 times
Would an immediate time out help each time?

Old 05-29-2009, 11:12 PM

161 posts, read 568,412 times
He is neutered. You are right that when we come home, the dog is already at the door waiting and we do give immediate attention--I will try the "ignore" feature. But it may be harder to get my husband to follow this advice! :-)

Old 05-29-2009, 11:21 PM

18,382 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
I'm having the same problem with my dogs (4 of them!). I read that when you come through the door, ignore the dog! Do not pet him, do not greet him, do not look at him, do not acknowledge him. Turn your back to him, like he's not there. My dogs settle down after about a minute, then I wait about another 5 minutes before I greet them. I just go about my business.

I've only been doing this for a few days, but so far, they're getting the hint not to rush me when I come through the door, as I'm not responding to them. Yes, they start to jump, but then they settle down when I just turn my back to them.

from what I have read this is the key. you don't have to ignore them for long periods just long enough to get in the door, put your things down. the calmly call them over have them sit for a pet. it will make all the difference. this is also what you do for a dog that pee's with excitement when people come over.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:38 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,940,360 times
This is easy: NO attention is given until ALL FOUR FEET ARE ON THE FLOOR. EVER. No eye contact, no verbal attention ('down!' is also verbal attention), NOTHING.

You'll see how quickly he responds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs