U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-05-2009, 09:11 AM

17 posts, read 107,164 times
Default Why my dog is attached to me?

My two year old dog suddenly would not leave my side if I am home. She would not walk with my daughter or my husband. We have a good walk schedule since she was a puppy. My teenage daughter or my husband takes her for a jog in the early morning, I walk her in the evening, she got about 4 miles a day. Now she would not leave unless I am with them. Other than that, she is her normal self. Why?
This behavior started on Tuesday, after I took her to a doggie daycare for a day on Monday. She always likes human better than doggies. In doggie daycare, she usually just follow the person and never get in trouble with other dogs. She just ignore them and attach herself to the person.

Does anyone experience any behavior change like this? Or should I be concerned?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 09:40 AM

9,857 posts, read 10,732,164 times
It appears that something happened at doggie daycare on Monday and you need to find out what that is. Several years ago, a child of one of our friends apparently threw a rock at Simon (I say apparently because I did not see it happen, but the rock was moved and Simon ran into the house and hid) and he would not leave my side for days. Now, we always make sure that if she is visiting that we can see both her and Simon at all times. I hope you get an answer, but if she is anything like Simon, she will get over this unless the same circumstances are still at doggie day care.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:02 AM

41,705 posts, read 46,172,177 times
I wouldn't take her to doggie daycare ever again! Someone (human) at doggie daycare treated your dog badly. As a result, your dog only feels safe with you for now.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:20 AM

422 posts, read 641,046 times
I know this sounds weird, but are you having any health problems? When I was not feeling well, before she got older, my dog alwys "knew" it. She even knew when I was about to go into labor with my first child. She also "knows" when I am sad or upset and sticks by my side.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:13 PM

4,629 posts, read 6,026,375 times
I once took my dog to a groomer. When I picked him up and took him home, he ran under the bed and stayed there until I coaxed him out. The groomer was all sweetness and said nothing untoward happened at all. What else was she going to say?

I'm with the other posters - something happened at the day care. I would not take your dog there again, either. I agree with SXMGirl, but if someone did something wrong to your pup, I doubt they'd admit it.

Kimmie...doesn't sound weird to me at all! You had (have?) a very sensitive dog ~

Old 06-07-2009, 08:09 AM

2,199 posts, read 4,905,356 times
Sometimes, dogs are scolded, punished, ignored or not treated well at doggie day care. Or she might have been scared that you weren't coming back and is worried that you're going to leave her again.

My dog liked doggie day care when he went. But once I took him to a new place, and he came home upset. He rebounded, but the next time I took him, he got upset when we turned down that street and by the time we got in the parking lot, his tail was down and he was trembling. I took him home and never went there again. But he was fine other places. Maybe you could try her for a few hours somewhere else and see if the problem is that one specific place or doggie day care in general. Hope it works out!

Old 06-07-2009, 09:42 AM

4,357 posts, read 8,272,793 times
I think your dog is trying to tell you something!

Old 06-07-2009, 09:50 AM

4,514 posts, read 8,081,732 times
Default Like a toddler on the first day of school....

If it happened the day after you first brought her to doggie day care, your dog probably thinks you're trying to get rid of her... just like a child thinks they're being abandoned on the first day of school or when you leave them with a babysitter.

Keep bringing her to doggie day care. Once she gets use to the routine and realizes that you'll be coming back to get her every day she'll probably love it.

IMHO it's just that your dog needs time to learn about the new experience and routine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs