U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 01:16 PM

28,123 posts, read 24,152,739 times

Advertisements

This post reminds me of the night we were driving home and saw a husky lying in the street. As we neared, we saw it move. Some a-hole had hit the dog and just gone off without checking to see if he was still alive. We called the police and sat out on the street with him while he drew his last breaths. My only consolation is that he wasn't alone when he died.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 03:05 PM

1,668 posts, read 5,543,491 times
This is sad, as we've domesticated dogs to depend on us. They don't do well on their own. On the other hand, I rescued a blue-tic hound. People release a dozen of them to hunt. If they get back 10, that's acceptable to them. Anyway, I brought him home, made a pen... One cold day I let him inside while I went to work. He must have seen his reflection in the window because he tore down every curtain, blind, and pretty much destroyed my house. It looked like a crime scene. I found him another home, but I didn't have the property to handle such a hyper dog. Anyway, if your stray was that friendly, the next person probably took him home.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:54 AM

2,806 posts, read 4,149,168 times
Dont beat yourself up...the dog you already made a committment to has to come first, and if you know things would have gotten ugly, you really had no choice. You gave him cheese and called to let someone know he needed help...if he is as sweet as he sounds, he will get adopted in no time! My little pack has grown up with a plethora of foster dogs coming & going, and have become very social and great with other animals (which is surprising to many because they are all at least 50% chihuahua, who are supposedly elitist...lol!) but not all dogs, particularly only dogs, can tolerate the intrusion and/or understand it may be temporary or it may be for a very long time/forever...it stresses them out, which stresses the new dog and the humans out, and it is just a bad scenario all around. Most of my friends would not be able to foster, but they knowI usually will so they call me...I will keep my fingers crossed that a fellow rescuer will pop into your life so if anything like this happens again you will have a better option at your disposal!

Old 06-09-2009, 06:12 AM

16,585 posts, read 20,566,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
I will keep my fingers crossed that a fellow rescuer will pop into your life so if anything like this happens again you will have a better option at your disposal!
My sister, who lives on a horse ranch an hour South of me, told me the following later on that day: "The next time this happens, find a way to secure the dog and I'll come up and get it". She recently lost her 14 year old Golden and her 13 year old Dobe and is down to one Border Collie mix who is lonely for his dog buddies.

I drove all the way back out to that store (without Nanners this time) in hopes of finding the little dog, but he/she was nowhere to be seen.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:06 AM

7,772 posts, read 9,114,044 times
i am choosing to believe that someone who didn't have a "nanners" saw his potential and took him home..........

i would have likely been in the same boat..... my bailey goes almost everywhere with me..... if it was a boy-dog, she would have been ok with him.... but no girl-dogs allowed on or in her territory......

Old 06-09-2009, 02:41 PM

5,100 posts, read 8,692,380 times
I'd betcha someone else did pick the dog up. If it was that friendly, I'm sure a dog lover came along and jumped at the chance.

Unfortunately there is no shortage of homeless dogs, so if your sister is actively looking for a dog that's in need, she'll have one very soon.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:18 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,973,969 times
A couple years ago I was driving through West Virginia on my way back from my parents' house. I saw this dog on the side of the road, sitting against the guardrail, about 10 feet away from the shoulder. Cute dog...border-collie or border-collie mix. I stopped, pulled over, got out and moved to the back of my car. The dog watched me intently...perked up...ran toward me.

I had my dog Bandit with me, but I pulled him out of the far back (I have a wagon and the far-back is his) and tossed him in the backseat, then loaded the stray into the back of the car behind the grille that separates the far-back from the backseat. He wasn't wearing a tag or a collar. He seemed generally young, generally well-fed and healthy. Still intact. His longish black hair was knotted and tangled and filled with those little burrs that grow in weeds.

I took him home, cleaned him up, and fostered him for a few weeks while I tried to find a home for him. Named him Fergus. My boy Bandit was tolerant, but not thrilled. Eventually I found a home for Fergus with a friend on a farm in the neighboring county.

The thing that was so heartbreaking about Fergus is that I think he was dumped -- probably because after he got over his initial trauma and adjusted to me somewhat, he revealed that he was EXTREMELY dominant and aggressive and high-energy. Very bitey. But when he lived with me, I noticed that when we walked, he'd stop and stare INTENTLY at any car that drove by. Or if he saw someone getting into or out of a parked car, he'd stop abruptly in his tracks and he'd just stare at them. I think he was looking for his family...the ones who had dumped him. His fixation on cars is what made me think that he hadn't just run away or gotten loose and lost. I could easily imagine that someone was fed up with his aggression and couldn't handle him any longer and decided to get rid of him. In my mind, I could picture them driving him out into the country, pulling him out of the car, then getting back into the car and driving away...leaving him to watch them drive away. It was truly heartbreaking.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:19 PM

1,280 posts, read 2,630,080 times
Or maybe he was picked up by the county since you called. Could you check the shelter and get him to your sister?

Old 06-10-2009, 11:56 AM

16,585 posts, read 20,566,351 times
I called the shelter. They haven't picked up a dog, alive or dead, matching that description anywhere in Fontana since the day I called.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:29 PM

3,730 posts, read 8,193,343 times
He could still be hanging out there or maybe near a fast-food dumpster if one is in the area, maybe near a stream or lake - ? It was a tough call, w/ your other dog in the car. Maybe a local person took him home. If you're really curious, you could ask the manager or a kid who works there if anyone spotted a dog meeting his description, they take smoke breaks (at least at ours sometimes) and may have noticed him, just say you're curious, he may belong to someone you know etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs