Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2009, 09:47 PM

5 posts, read 30,947 times

Advertisements

I have a male pit bull, he is still very young. Through his life I have struggled with various skin problems and other issues. Recently I noticed he had severe sores on his feet and he was licking them constantly. He has had these before but the meds only take them away for awhile then before i knowit they are coming back. Then I noticed he had lumps on his ankles and on his back thighs. I was wondering if these could be lymph nodes???
Before I could even get to call the vet, I then noticed he had also lost his bark. My husband told me that the day before he found some trowup with something hard in it. But we were not sure if it was from him or not because we have another dog. His bark has came back over the weekend since the vet is closed on sat night and sunday all day. I did call their em. center and they paged the vet and he said that he thought it could wait till monday morning so we scheduled a visit for monday.

So I took him to the vet, She told me that she was going to try to put him on some antibiotics for 2 weeks so she gave him doxycycline 200 mg twice a day. She also said that she was sure this lumps on his thighs were his lymh nodes but that she was not sure if the ones down by his ankles were lymph nodes or cysts.

I have looked on the internet and noticed that there are a lot of cases where these problems are because of cancer. If these meds do not work I do not know what to do next. Should I then look into the possibility of this being cancerous because he has the swollen lymph nodes? But what if the infection in his feet go away and the lymph nodes swellin goes down? I am a little concerned because my vet has not done any blood screenings on my dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 09:05 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,587,238 times
I'm sorry no one has any advice for you. I think that infections can cause swollen lymph nodes - they certainly do in people. And a cyst is usually nothing to worry about. Good luck!

Old 06-09-2009, 02:38 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,355,485 times
I'd very seriously doubt you're looking at cancer in a dog that young. I'd more think small fatty tumors or bites from something. Do you have biting ants or anything that could have found their way to your yard?

Don't get too stressed out at this point. A dog your dogs age has youth and health on it's side in general. It's probably something quite minor and nothing to lose sleep over.

Keep us updated. And a photo of the cutie might be helpful!! *wink*

Old 06-09-2009, 07:52 PM

Dice 1 year old 11 month pit-bull-p2150042.jpg

Dice 1 year old 11 month pit-bull-p2150044.jpg

Dice 1 year old 11 month pit-bull-p3020063.jpg

Dice 1 year old 11 month pit-bull-p2150043.jpg

Dice 1 year old 11 month pit-bull-p2160047.jpg

Dice 1 year old 11 month pit-bull-p2160050.jpg

Dice 1 year old 11 month pit-bull-p5100001.jpg

Dice 1 year old 11 month pit-bull-p3040068.jpgThank you very much for your support. I do not know how to upload a picture to this post. But you are more than welcome to become a friend of mine on myspace. My info is barfulface@yahoo.com I tried to upload a picture of him as my profile picture.I even tried to add it as an attachment an wiil not work. Don't know if it worked. But the vet told me she thinks that they are his lymph nodes. Does anyone know where i could get a good image of where the lymph nodes are located on a dog? I have looked but cannot find them from a credible source.
Also he does not want to eat. Last time he had a problem, I gave him chicken livers and he loved them. But then my fiance's mother told me and him the they are not good for him. But it is the only thing he will eat. So I called my vet and she said if that is all he will eat I can give them to him and they are fine. I just want to make sure it is ok 2 do.
He has gotten his voice back 100% and he is more rambuncious today so I think things will be ok.

I do not have biting ants nor does he have fleas. I did check for them, in my yard and on him and my other dog. I know it is something with him because my other dog shows no sign of what is going on with dice.
Dice is so important to me because 9 months before he was born i found out i was pregnant and I lost the baby at 3 months pregnant with my 3rd miscarriage. Then in August I was still so depressed someone came into my job with him and tried to sell him to me for 150 dollars he also tried to tell me that he was 8 to 9 weeks old. I ended up talking him down to 45 dollars...lol He was not 8 to 9 weeks old, I took him to the vet and they said no he is way to young and wanted to know where I got him from because they shouldl not have given him to me and was way to young to be away from his mother. And he was about 4 weeks old he fit right in my 2 hands. It was like he was the baby i lost. he was born on the same day my baby was due. And he was born around the day my father died. So when my vet told me that I knew it was ment to be. Well I got lucky, my 5 year old (at the time) now almost 7 y/o female pitbull started to lactate and make milk for him even though she had not had puppies for 4 years. I guess she just wanted really bad to be a mother again to something even if it was not her real baby. So she got her chance and I got my baby it all worked out. Now he is the best little son I could have ever asked for.

Well I always think things happen for a reason there is a defenit reason we were brought to each other.
I think I figured out how to add pictures as an attachment. These are pictures of dice. There are also some with angel in there too. Shes my first baby...

Old 06-09-2009, 07:54 PM

The second to last picture is dices hobby. He's a rope jumper. But he is good at it. He only does this when he has a break from infections and is well enough to play rough but i have more pictures like thhis that are so funny...

Old 06-09-2009, 11:21 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,587,238 times
He is beautiful! I hope it is just infections and will clear up. Sending you good thoughts.....

Old 06-16-2009, 10:17 PM

well I took dice to the vet and he has swollen testicles. Now the vet is confused what is going on. I made them do blood work. I told them it has been way to long and the meds are not working. his lymph nodes are still swollen and now his testicles too.. Not sure what is going on with him. I just hate having to feed him meds all the time. Poor thing, I knw he hates when i shove pills down his mouth everyday. he has had several problems since he was a baby and has been on meds for most of his life.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:45 PM

9,352 posts, read 19,943,214 times
poor dicey!!

swollen lymph nodes sounds like an infection....swollen testicles?? no idea.....

i hope the vet figures it out soon and dice is back to his good ol' self......

Old 10-04-2014, 01:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,576 times
Oh I love your story. It brought tears to my eyes, I instantly felt that dice was brought to you that day for a reason. It was meant to be. Ok im full fledged balling now... Lol. Anyway I too have a pit. Hes a blue brindle, hes a year & 8 mos old and i have dealt with a lot of skin type of things. He gets bumps and bites every so often then he licks and scratches, I feel so bad for him. But it seems to be the norm for this breed. Good luck with your baby, im sure Dice will live a long happy life with you! 

Old 10-05-2014, 08:23 AM

6,615 posts, read 6,487,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dice the destroyer View Post
well I took dice to the vet and he has swollen testicles. Now the vet is confused what is going on. I made them do blood work. I told them it has been way to long and the meds are not working. his lymph nodes are still swollen and now his testicles too.. Not sure what is going on with him. I just hate having to feed him meds all the time. Poor thing, I knw he hates when i shove pills down his mouth everyday. he has had several problems since he was a baby and has been on meds for most of his life.
To give your dog pills... First ask your vet if your dog's pills can be crushed without compromising the ingredients. If it's ok: Go to any pharmacy and ask for a pill crusher. They are extremely simple and easy to use and will grind them down into fine powder.

Then mix your dog's crushed pills in 1-2 tbsp human baby food (in a jar, either beef or chicken). Our dogs LOVE it. It's like an ultimate treat for them to have a tbsp each day. One gets the meds mixed in, the other just gets it as a treat. I hope this makes your life and his easier.

Good luck on finding out what's going on and I hope he's ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs