Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 11:03 AM

546 posts, read 2,417,453 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a puppy for our family. We have 3 children and would love a friendly, nonshedding puppy. We spent Easter weekend with a 4 month old cockapoo and think we have found the perfect dog for us. Anyone out there have more knowledge about the breed? Pros... cons... Do we need to spend $600 and up to get a healthy, happy pup? Any info you can give us would be very appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 11:17 AM

607 posts, read 2,431,142 times
NClover;
They are great dogs. I cannot think of anything bad about them. Very lovable and great with kids.
As for how much you spend for a dog?? Well all I have for advice is that you don't buy them from a store. Go to a breeder and check them out. Good breeders let you see the area they have been living in, the conditions and always the ***** of the litter, sometimes the have the stud there as well.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardlips View Post
NClover;
They are great dogs. I cannot think of anything bad about them. Very lovable and great with kids.
As for how much you spend for a dog?? Well all I have for advice is that you don't buy them from a store. Go to a breeder and check them out. Good breeders let you see the area they have been living in, the conditions and always the ***** of the litter, sometimes the have the stud there as well.
Oh my gosh, they sensored me I wasn't saying a bad word, I was referring to the female dog that gave birth to the puppies. Holy Moly, now everyone is going to think I am a nasty girl. Oh well. Didn't mean to offend anyone.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:44 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardlips View Post
Oh my gosh, they sensored me:Holy Moly, now everyone is going to think I am a nasty girl.
Holly Moly, now we're never know for sure

as for finding a particualr breed, I don't believe cockapoos are AKC recognized, but that may not matter to you. Find the kennel club that is in your area (google it, or find it via the www.AKC.org site) and send out word that this is what you're looking for. Most people in dogs know a lot of other people in dogs and you may get some good leads. First thing I would do, though, is check www.petfinder.com. Sometimes these make the best pets.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Holly Moly, now we're never know for sure

Don't forget we still have our party we are planning at the end of summer.
You never know what could happen

Old 04-12-2007, 11:59 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nclover View Post
We are looking for a puppy for our family. We have 3 children and would love a friendly, nonshedding puppy. We spent Easter weekend with a 4 month old cockapoo and think we have found the perfect dog for us. Anyone out there have more knowledge about the breed? Pros... cons... Do we need to spend $600 and up to get a healthy, happy pup? Any info you can give us would be very appreciated! Thanks!
The 'designer dogs'...well...you don't know what your are getting to be honest. Your dog may shed just as much as a regular cocker spanial. At most, you may be able to avoid some of the temperment issues.

Yes, they are cute and adorable (all dogs are) but with so many back yard breeders and puppy mills out there....it's just heartbreaking.

If a rescued/pound dog won't work for you (and I have a husband with bad allergies to pets, I do understand the problem) then find an actual breed that will work for you. Not a designer dog that is contribing to the overbreeding problem in the United States.

If you need a non-shedding, kid friendly dog, look into bichon frise. (Great dogs...not barky, very people orientated, do well travelling (we take ours many places) and are known for being fantastic with kids and up for running around in the yard. They do not have to be kept in a fancy show cut...we get ours the basic 'puppy cut' and he just looks like a semi-shaggy white dog.

Poodles (standard especially) are good dogs as well. Stardards are very high energy and need training or they will try to rule the household....but they are good with kids. Don't rule out poodles just because there are some over-bred, badly bred yappy teacup ones out there.

And Yes, you are going to have to spend some money to find a quality dog from an ethical breeder with less risk of health problems.

We have a bichon and paid 700$ 7 years ago...and it was worth every penny. He's been remarkably healthy and is still agile and quick with no knee/hip issues. Friends of ours also have two bichons and well, they only paid 150$ for each dog from a backyard breeder. The male, at age two, is already showing signs of knee problems and the female has cost them close to 3K in vet bills.

A little research and money up frount can save lots of heartache.

Old 04-12-2007, 12:11 PM

548 posts, read 2,647,800 times
A friend of mine just got a Cockapoo last weekend from a breeder in PA. I can find the info. if you'd like. I think all the "poo" dogs are popular right now!

We have an Airedale. Doesn't shed, but a lot larger than a Cockapoo, so probably not a good substitute Also paid a lot since she came from a good breeder. The breeder was in AL--they breed for good Southern doggie manners. (KIDDING).

Old 04-12-2007, 12:26 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,925,589 times
Personally, I would never get a dog from a breeder. I would find a rescue dog. There is no shortage of available dogs of any type. But if you do go with a breeder, please spend a little more to go with an ethical breeder not a backyard breeder. And at all costs don't buy from a store!

Other than petfinder as mentioned above, here is another place to start, http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/cockapoorescue/

"Don't breed or buy while shelter pets die"

Old 04-12-2007, 12:30 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
Personally, I would never get a dog from a breeder. I would find a rescue dog. There is no shortage of available dogs of any type. But if you do go with a breeder, please spend a little more to go with an ethical breeder not a backyard breeder. And at all costs don't buy from a store!

Other than petfinder as mentioned above, here is another place to start, http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/cockapoorescue/

"Don't breed or buy while shelter pets die"
I agree with you.... but if you have a family member with low tolerance to pet dander...well....I looked for over a year for any poodle or bishon (or even a mix) to come into the shelters near me. It just didn't happen.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:40 PM

546 posts, read 2,417,453 times
Wow. Thanks for all of the feedback. We have been watching the rescue dog sites but have not had luck so far. I agree that we will probably pay more for the peace of mind a quality breeder gives you. Just wanted other people's take on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs