Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 04:52 PM

2 posts, read 13,967 times

Advertisements

I have a very very tiny chorkie (chihuahua/Yorkie) weighing in at 2.5 lbs and its extremely hard to find suitable play companions for her. I have two that I visit so she has some play time, and a couple cats, but only one lives close. I was putting this out there to see if anyone in the area knows of or would like to meet up somewhere were they can run around and play together.
Attached Thumbnails
Pittsburgh Tiny Dog/Puppy Play Dates-photo_041809_001.jpg   Pittsburgh Tiny Dog/Puppy Play Dates-100_0988.jpg   Pittsburgh Tiny Dog/Puppy Play Dates-100_0979.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 07:16 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,212 times
THAT IS ONE ADORABLE DOG!

I have a four pound yorkiepoo and just let her run with our big boys - 15 lb. ****zu/poo and 8 lb. maltese.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:17 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,283,744 times
Try meetup.com. They have groups for just about anything and I bet you can find a small dog meetup.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:44 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,663,953 times
The size of the dog your dog relates to has nothing to do with it unless your dog is not fixed. Dogs are natural pack animals. Take her to the local dog park and keep her close to you until she finds her place in the pack. They won't hurt her and she will have a great time. If you don't have a dog park, try taking her to obedience clases in local pet super stores or to local dog shows where pets of her size are being shown. They may be able to refer you further. If all fails, get another dog. They will form their own pack, however be prepared to be left out as they will much prefer each other's company to yours.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:07 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,417,590 times
With all due respect, I think the OP fears an accident can happen to her very small dog - a larger dog could bump into hers, run into it, step on it etc - a 2.5 lb dog could very easily get injured by an active larger dog which is why they're looking into smaller dog pals, it's understandable, I know there are small dog meetup groups on meetup.com and hopefully they'll find some similar-size doggie pals for her to hang out with.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:11 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,548,608 times
I would be concerned about a rambunctious big dog hurting or killing such a small dog, even if unintentionally.

Not a fan of dog parks, ok with "play dates" - I am not sure adult dogs who don't "play" with other dogs are missing out on anything if they get to play with their family.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I would be concerned about a rambunctious big dog hurting or killing such a small dog, even if unintentionally.

Not a fan of dog parks, ok with "play dates" - I am not sure adult dogs who don't "play" with other dogs are missing out on anything if they get to play with their family.
My best friend and I traveled in a motorhome working at county fairs across the country for two years. I had a St. Bernard and she had a Poodle/daschund mix. They became best friends once Chibi, smaller dog realized that the warmest place in town was to snuggle in the belly of Peaches, the St Bernard. One time, my best friend got very sick and we had stopped to do the laundry, so I took the laundry and told her to rest. When I came back with the laundry Peaches was laying across the head of the bed, and Rumi, my best friend was using her as a pillow and Chibi, her dog was nestled in her arms. I wish I had a camera to capture that moment because it was so peaceful. This was over 30 years ago and although the dogs have passed thankfully Rumi and I are still best friends and have been for 49 years.

Last edited by yukiko11; 06-11-2009 at 12:01 PM..

Old 06-11-2009, 11:35 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,283,744 times
Wonderful for you and your friend, however many big dogs are not used to yelpy, little dogs and consider them prey. This is why many dog parks have separate sections for big/little dogs. Dispensing bad advice on a public forum is only going to lead to getting someone's dog really injured. A 2.5 lb. pup has no business being in a setting where much bigger dogs are running free. My 42lb. English Bulldog has been rolled many times when he collided with a bigger dog at the dog park while running. A 2.5lb. dog stands no chance against a 60+lb. dog, even if he accidentally steps/falls onto him.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Wonderful for you and your friend, however many big dogs are not used to yelpy, little dogs and consider them prey. This is why many dog parks have separate sections for big/little dogs. Dispensing bad advice on a public forum is only going to lead to getting someone's dog really injured. A 2.5 lb. pup has no business being in a setting where much bigger dogs are running free. My 42lb. English Bulldog has been rolled many times when he collided with a bigger dog at the dog park while running. A 2.5lb. dog stands no chance against a 60+lb. dog, even if he accidentally steps/falls onto him.
I have to agree with you but not for the reason you think. I have raised 3 ST.Bernards in the last 35 years. They have always gotten along with all kinds of dogs. They instinctively know about difference in size and age. When my St Bernard Yukkiko was 2 years old my neighbor was taking the 4 pups his dog had given birth to to have them put down because he didn't want to be bothered with them. They were only 5 weeks old. I asked him to hand one over the fence and told him I would adopt it. I was scared to death to show it to Yuki, but I knew the poor pup was going to die anyway so if she killed it, it wouldn't make any difference. I opened the door and told Yuki this was her new friend and I put the pup down. This pup weighed about a lb and Yuki weighted about 120 lbs. I went into the living room and turned on the stereo very loud so I couldn't hear anything for about 1 hour because I was a coward and I cried the whole time because I was a coward. Then I got up the nerve to look outside. What did I see? Yuki was laying on her back and the puppy was on her stomach nursing. Within a few days Yuki actually made milk and nursed that pup until I finally had to put a shirt on her to stop the behaviour. That pup Meisha live to be 17 years old.
The only bad experience I ever had was with my last St Bernard Tulip. She was a senior and in the house, and I frequently had to take her out late at night in my yard which is 1/2 acre and not close to my neighbors. The neighbors next door bred and showed English Buldogs. That night they were away and two of the buldogs got out and attacked us during our late night walk. Because Tulip was old and well trained, I managed to force her into the house in front of me instead of allowing her to protect me, but the dogs bit me in the back of my legs. before I could get inside. As the owners were not home, the sheriff had to use pepper spray to force them into a place on their property where he could confine them.
The size of the dog has nothing to do with its socialization. Your dog got mowed down and two dogs just like yours would have killed my dog that was 3 times their size if they had the chance. That is why my original suggestion was to hang on to the smaller dog until they get to know the other dogs.

Last edited by yukiko11; 06-11-2009 at 12:51 PM..

Old 06-16-2009, 07:47 PM

2 posts, read 13,967 times
Default Thanks!

I have socialized Lilly with multiple size dogs, up to a 160 lb Great Pyrenees. She does very well with all size dogs, especially in a one on one setting. The problem with the dog parks around here are the owners not the dogs for the most part. They seem more intent on hanging out with the other owners than watching their dogs. It would be WAY too easy for her to get accidentally stepped on and get crushed. Especially when you have large dogs there and there are 15+ running around. And the other reason I don't want to go to the one in the South Side anymore is that a Bull Mastiff grabbed a 6 lb chi off the ground in its mouth being very aggressive and killed it. It happened in an instant and the owners were right there. That scares me way too much to put her in that kind of danger, even if its not intentional. I take her on walks and she meets all types of dogs, and plays with my parents great dane. I try to get her as socialized as humanly possible. I was simply looking for some advice on where to look. I will go to meetup.com tonight and see what I can find.

Thanks for all the feedback!!!!

Heres a funny pic...She got her head stuck in the smallest hamster ball that you can buy...it was too funny
Attached Thumbnails
Pittsburgh Tiny Dog/Puppy Play Dates-photo_060909_003.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs