Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 07:07 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times

Advertisements

Dear Skip;

I didn't see any comments about whether your dog is eating well, or not. If he does eat the puppy chow, it sounds like you are on the right track. He'll gain in his own healthy time. Dogs like some variety in their diets, but dramatic changes can upset their systems and cause troubles.

My little ***** was never a good eater, but she's always maintained a healthy weight, so I didn't worry about it until I started reading about the things the food manufacturers are adding to the pet food. After that, I started making her food using food from the grocery store (ground beef, brown rice, and vegetables blended to liquid, then all cooked together and frozen/refrigerated). I make a small batch every week. Since I started that a month ago, she eats twice a day -- sometimes asks for seconds, and has put on 1.5 pounds. Obviously, her finicky appetite was for the manufactured food, not food in general.

She still won't touch treats.

Best wishes with your new family member.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 08:00 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
He's adorable and thanks for adopting him. Our Simon is a border collie/lab mix and his weight is usually between 40 and 45 pounds. He isn't a big eater unless you count the cat food that he sneaks. When he came to us he was eating Ol Roy, but we have tried him on all types of good brands, and he prefers Pedigree. Our cat likes Halo, and Simon likes her food, but won't eat Halo for dogs. He also doesn't eat treats like dog biscuits. Best of luck to you. You will eventually find a food that he likes, and when you do, his weight will increase. The acivity level of border collies is such that he should not have a weight problem. They are so active even if only patrolling your property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs