U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 11:56 AM

3,593 posts, read 10,645,293 times

Advertisements

With 2 Chessies & 2 Labs, it seems that "shedding season" in our household is never just starting or just finishing. It just all runs together. Got to agree that the furminator is a great tool for keeping the fur clouds under control. It does work on two coated dogs, you just have to use it properly and not overbrush. For dropped hair inside, the Bissel Healthy Home vac is the best I've found. Its a little expensive but its the only vac I've had that hasn't blown up after a couple years of the heavy use it gets from us. Has all the tools needed for keeping the doggie dust bunnies at bay too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 04:20 PM

4,334 posts, read 12,199,711 times
I use the shedding blade also on one of my dogs. You have to be careful not too use it too harshly and not everyday. I take my one dog out in the back once a month and use it gently, it takes out millions of lose hairs but I still have to vacuum almost everyday. She just walks and I see hairs dropping! She is a huge shedder and always has been.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:39 PM

16,649 posts, read 26,625,360 times
I also use the Furminator on Artie. Best invention ever.

I get so much fur out of his coat, especially now (springtime), I can make a whole other dog... which is the only way I'm allowed to have a second dog. LOL but

Old 06-18-2009, 08:03 PM

4,705 posts, read 10,128,484 times
Jazz has a very medium but dense double coat and when she starts showing Puffs of fur I take her to the self wash dog place give her a bath then use the powerful blowers on her as it really blows alot of the dead undercoat out. There was a man doing his lab one time and he kept saying" My God your dog has alot of hair" as the hair was flying all over. Good thing he left before the Aussie got on a grooming table as then it was double hair flying. Imagine a blizzard of dog hair! With her the shedding blade and undercoat rake work well too.I also pull out the puffs of fur by hand when I see them.

Dash has a double coat but his is not as thick and the undercoat rake works well on him.

Phoenix has a dense double coat too but her hair is longer then Jazz or Dash so a undercoat rake works the best for her. Despite her now living with my dad I still am the one that grooms her when I visit and it is quite a chore! Which is the price one pays for a beautiful full coat like hers. Alot of people say"I would just shave her down", no way as her coat is way too beautiful!

Dazzle ( bless him!) has a single coat and the hairs are long meaning they have a longer life cycle then say a lab with short hair so he is not a big shedder!

I always laugh when people say I want a short coated dog as I do not like shedding...well the truth is they shed more as short hair has a shorter life cycle then long hair so it falls out and is replaced more often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs