Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 03:33 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,423,988 times

Advertisements

I'm going home for Christmas, and I'd really like to fly. I'm about a 10 hour drive away, but I'll be going through a lot of mountains and don't really want to risk the snow and ice. I've had several near fatal accidents driving in the winter...

I'd prefer to fly, however, I have a dog now

Southwest Airlines allows pets, but they must be in a crate underneath the seat in front of you the entire flight. Even in the airport, they must remain in the crate. Beesley is extremely skiddish, and often relieves himself when he gets scared enough. I would imagine a flight (even just 1 1/2 hours) might be pretty traumatic for him. I don't see any other option. I'm not leaving him home for someone else to take care of...I want him with me for my vacation.

Thoughts??

Last edited by MAtheBanker; 10-20-2009 at 03:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 04:14 PM

666 posts, read 1,844,161 times
Would it be a direct flight or a connection? If it were me, I would definitely drive if it wasn't a direct flight. Flying during the holidays is stressful enough when the airlines are not in dire economic times. I fly every holiday and routinely get delayed / cancelled / rebooked / stranded. I wouldn't want to risk that with a dog that is stressed to begin with. I'd drive and be in control of my own destiny.

If you decide to fly, have you talked to your vet about the possibilty of a mild sedative so he can be a bit more comfortable?

Old 10-20-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastee View Post
Would it be a direct flight or a connection? If it were me, I would definitely drive if it wasn't a direct flight. Flying during the holidays is stressful enough when the airlines are not in dire economic times. I fly every holiday and routinely get delayed / cancelled / rebooked / stranded. I wouldn't want to risk that with a dog that is stressed to begin with. I'd drive and be in control of my own destiny.

If you decide to fly, have you talked to your vet about the possibilty of a mild sedative so he can be a bit more comfortable?
Yes, it would be a direct flight. The flight itself is only 1 1/2 hours, and the airport has areas where you can go outside with pets for them to do their business.

I wish driving was an option, but the 10 hour drive would turn into at least 15, since I'd have to go slower with bad road conditions. Last year when I drove home during this time of the year, I hit a deer. Luckily it didn't total my car and I was able to make the entire road trip. It's simply too dangerous to drive that far in the winter. I'd not only be risking my life, but my dog's.

Is the sedative a humane option? I mean, it sounds great, but it doesn't sound too...nice.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:41 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
better he be a little woozy for a few hours than completely wigged out.....including soiling himself and his carrier......... might could even use benedryl (STRAIGHT benedryl, not combined with anything for aches, pains, fever, cough, etc.) ...... that is dosed by the dog's weight..... my 55 lb girl gets one children's tablet (12.5 mg) when her allergies flair up. it has the added effect of making most dogs a little sleepy..... just like it does for most people. Talk with the vet about how much beesley could have.

i flew a cat here from houston many years ago..... the vet gave me kitty valium for her, but she was still VERY unhappy for the duration of the flight and getting back home......

Old 10-20-2009, 04:50 PM

666 posts, read 1,844,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
Is the sedative a humane option? I mean, it sounds great, but it doesn't sound too...nice.
Why would it be inhumane for a dog, but not for people? People who are afraid to fly take an anti-anxiety like Xanax or some form of sedative. One of my dogs does not do well in the car so he gets Bonine (used for sea-sickness) before long trips.

I think its more humane than letting him be stressed for the duration of the journey.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:03 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
It's absolutely humane. When we were moving into a new house, I went to the vet to get Artie through the turmoil (movers in the old house, a few nights in a hotel, movers in the new house, etc...).

He gave us Xanax. It was given to us with the generic name but he told me that it was the same as human Xanax. I wanted to share the goodies!

Anyway, it didn't work too well on Artie -- he's so freakin' high-strung -- but when I gave him a larger dose (OK'd by the vet), it just relaaaaaaaxed him a bit. Not a lot -- he was still Artie Fartie -- but he was slightly calmer, which was nice. For an hour.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:13 PM

Heyyyyy, cut me some slack. I'm a first time dog owner, I have no idea what things I should do or not do when it comes to travelling :P

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I'm feeling a little better about the trip. The only thing that REALLY sucks is how much more I'm going to have to pay to take my dog. My plane ticket is only $215 round trip, but with Beesley it's going to be $365 Oh well, you gotta do what you gotta do! Plus, it cheaper than boarding him up for 5 days!

Old 10-20-2009, 05:31 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,679,007 times
We fly with our Shih Tzu pretty regularly but our first trip with him was a nightmare. He freaked out in the airport with all the people around, scratched at the carrier & yipping, barking, etc..I could not get him to stop. This was with 2 kids in tow. I had a nice lady come up & suggest that I ask his vet about a sedative for travel. I did just that & so glad I did. Now, before we leave for the airport, I give him the sedative & by the time we get to the airport, he is cool as a cucumber. The sedative is mild & doesn't "knock him out", just relaxes him. I also put his blanket over the carrier to keep him from seeing the commotion around him & to soothe him with the scent. Our flight is 2 hours long & I have never had an issue with him. We have a pretty good routine down now.

Now on our last flight, a woman with, funny enough, a Shih Tzu, sat 2 rows diagonal from us & that dog barked the ENTIRE 2 hour flight. Of course, this barking rattled my dog who quietly "whoofed" back once or twice but other than that, I was amazed he sat quietly through all that. We were getting off the plane & I jokingly said to the crew "That WASN'T us!" They all laughed & said "we know!"

Old 10-20-2009, 05:34 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Rather than boarding or flying him, another option is to get someone from your vet to do pet sitting. Usually the vet techs do it. Prices vary, here it's $15 pr visit or $30/night for them to sleep at your house. I have used pet sitters for maybe 30 yrs since I have a lot of animals (3 dogs, 3 cats) and boarding fees would be extreme. The vet techs do a good job and since I know where they are employed, I feel comfrotable w/them in the house. Just anotehr thought!

Old 10-20-2009, 05:35 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
How big is your boy again? Because there ARE limits on how big a dog can be and still ride in the cabin! And he must be able to stand up and turn around comfortably in the carrier. You would have to start acclimating him to the carrier NOW: hiding treats in it, feeding him in it, taking him out in the car in it, etc.

I would NEVER fly my dog in cargo. EVER.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs