U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 04:52 AM

7,492 posts, read 6,481,772 times

Advertisements

Dear Dashdog;

Good inputs. Do you know of a list of health issues by breed that might be publishable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 04:57 AM

Default Clarification check...

Thanks, Granny. Just a couple of questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I think there should be limits on how many litters a male can sire.
Is there a body of knowledge about disipating viability over the number of sires? I don't know anything about this issue; it's the first I've heard, but I am NOT versed in canine breeding.

Also:
Quote:
There is also a lot of trickery - testicle implants, making ears stand that won't naturally, color tricks [e.g., potassium permanganate], dental work, selective trimming, etc.
Are these issues breed specific. Should they be mentioned as a sub-category in breeder criteria?

Thanks again, for the info.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:03 AM

Thanks for the news on Denver, BlueWillow, regardless that it is off-topic, I am personally glad to read about Denver's decisions (which validate my own opinions).

And, just FYI, I never intended this to be ONLY about pure breeds, though it does appear that the general opinion is that responsible breeders breed pure, it isn't an opinion I share.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:07 AM

Sorry, Granny, not to be picky, but I want to understand this comment, better:
Quote:
I really think the market limits breeding for the good dogs. I don't know you can regulate it as much as for the breeders to work to make sure their dogs really do wind up in the right homes. I don't know the answer other than really subsidizing spay nueter programs.
In what way do you believe the market limits breeding? What do responsible breeders do with their pups that they cannot place? Or, is that what you mean by the spay/neuter programs?

Thanks for all the good info, not just to Granny, but to everyone that has participated in this topic.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:08 AM

4,133 posts, read 13,321,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Dear Dashdog;

Good inputs. Do you know of a list of health issues by breed that might be publishable?
Not Dashdog but here's a couple

http://www.dogpack.com/breeds/dogBreedsA.html

http://www.dogplay.com/Breeding/health.html

Old 06-19-2009, 05:09 AM

Dear Leorah;

I've come to think of you as the final word in any pet topic. Your words are always straight, and from the heart. Thank you for being there for all of us.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:33 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,933,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post

And, just FYI, I never intended this to be ONLY about pure breeds, though it does appear that the general opinion is that responsible breeders breed pure, it isn't an opinion I share.
Thanks for the clarification.

I guess I am of the opinion that a responsible breeder loves the breed itself, but this is not to say that the American Kennel Club or other such entities are the final arbiter of whether or not to breed.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:42 AM

315 posts, read 980,272 times
I breed, and with a total disregard for the American Kennel Club. Their breed clubs have an understanding of genetics that apparently stopped right after WW I and Eugenics. For working breeds, the worst thing I have seen happen is they are accepted into the AKC and their abominations they call shows. Once a breed has split into working and show lines, the breed is in decline. I already had Great Danes when I began work on my Biology degree and realized there was something intrinsically wrong with the way the breed is actually split by the AKC into 4 different sub-breeds by color. By the time I finished my Masters I understood it was because breeders are terrified of high-demand Harlequin dogs returning to being the genetic rarity they otherwise are- hurting the bottom line. Never mind that about half of Danes have congenital problems- they die young anyway.
The AKC is made up in large part by people whose livelihood depends on puppy sales, not by those dedicated to the welfare of the dogs.The only thing the AKC truly promotes is its own continued existence.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:47 AM

8,309 posts, read 34,427,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodi View Post
Good point but as of now there is also a surplus of working dogs. We have a blue heeler that we got through a rescue program. He was definitely bred to work but ended up abandoned, rescued and now lives with us in the city. There are lots of dogs who were bred for work that are sitting in shelters and foster homes waiting for someone to take them home. Our heeler is a pet but he is ridiculously smart and his instincts to drive cattle are there. He'd do great on a farm. Maybe a solution would be to limit breeding?
Blueheelers and other cattle dogs get a lot of that. They are handsome animals and very clever but they aren't always (if ever) well suited to urban existence. A lot of people will get a puppy because "they just love blueheelers" without ever having the slightest inkling of what the dog actually is (a running and nipping machine), realize that they have a lot more dog than they can handle, decide that this dog is particularly incorrigible (he's not, he's actually "a blueheeler") and mr. bottomless pit of undirected energy is put up for adoption or destruction.

To me, that's more a problem stemming from ignorant demand for an innapropriate pet than from people who try to perpetuate and improve the Australian Cowherd.

On the other hand, the breeder who provided my golden never would have put him in a home where he would not be trained, would not hunt or would not "do what he was born to do." He would most certainly have found his way to the SPCA or worse (very high energy, independent streak, much more strong willed than the stereotypical understanding of golden retrievers). In that respect, someone who puts a high octane working dog in an unsuspecting home is being irresponsible, but someone who can breed a high octane working dog probably isn't going to do that. I would be pretty wary of a breeder who would.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,254 times
Out of an estimated 6 to 8 million cats and dogs that enter shelters every year, 3 to 4 million are euthanized. Most of these are healthy animals or animals that have treatable health issues. Anyone who would purposely breed more pets while MILLIONS of innocent animals are being euthanized is absolutely irresponsible.

If you must get a "purebred" pet, please look on petfinder.com for a rescued animal from one of the many breed rescue organizations that exist in the US. Remember, "purebred" pets have tons of congenital health problems and predispositions for diseases -- from back problems in dachshunds to cancer in boxers and respiratory problems in bulldogs. Breeding is done only for a misplaced sense of self-worth (and money) for the breeders. It does the animals no favors. They don't care if they have legs of a certain length or the appropriate head shape. All they care about is having a home and being loved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs