U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2009, 06:32 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,109,442 times

Advertisements

On the weekends there may be one or more rescue groups with foster dogs up for adoption. Because these dogs are not our personal pets and most have recently come out of a shelter they are often a bit more nervous than your average pet. So please pay attention to your dog and approach with a little care.

When my group goes to Petsmart we try to have one person per dog (or more) but that is not always possible, especially if we have a litter of cute puppies. Many folks like to stop and chat with us and we like talking to people but we also need to keep careful watch over our charges and we need others to also watch their own dogs.

When it comes to those flexi-leads please keep them short, I've come very close to being tripped by them several times as owners were looking at product on the shelves while the dogs ran out the full length of the lead as I'm walking with a foster dog and trying to train her to walk nicely and therefore my focus is more on her.

thanks everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 07:04 PM

4,128 posts, read 13,268,210 times
Have seen an elderly woman walking a young lively yorkie on a retractable leash - the dog was waaay ahead of her - I hope the dog doesnt veer out into the street (the corner was nearby) b/c it will definitely get clipped by a car if it happens. Unfort. I was a distance away and there was no way I could mention it but if I'm closer, I sure will. Would rather have a regular 4 ft leash any day!

Old 06-22-2009, 12:27 PM

4 posts, read 28,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
On the weekends there may be one or more rescue groups with foster dogs up for adoption. Because these dogs are not our personal pets and most have recently come out of a shelter they are often a bit more nervous than your average pet. So please pay attention to your dog and approach with a little care.

When my group goes to Petsmart we try to have one person per dog (or more) but that is not always possible, especially if we have a litter of cute puppies. Many folks like to stop and chat with us and we like talking to people but we also need to keep careful watch over our charges and we need others to also watch their own dogs.

When it comes to those flexi-leads please keep them short, I've come very close to being tripped by them several times as owners were looking at product on the shelves while the dogs ran out the full length of the lead as I'm walking with a foster dog and trying to train her to walk nicely and therefore my focus is more on her.

thanks everyone
Hi does your group only do Petsmarts in VA? I'm intrested in adoping a dog but when ever I take a look at a adoption schedule at a Pet store it's always cats. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Old 06-22-2009, 12:41 PM

19,815 posts, read 55,790,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraG View Post
Hi does your group only do Petsmarts in VA? I'm intrested in adoping a dog but when ever I take a look at a adoption schedule at a Pet store it's always cats. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Look on www.petfinder.com and put in your zip code. And ehat size/age dog or cat you want. It will show youy who is available close to you.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:46 PM

9,352 posts, read 16,776,804 times
bailey and i are in petco nearly every weekend and there is usually one, if not TWO adoption events going on......

the group that gets the spot at the front of the store doesn't have to worry a lick about bailey..... she hates it up there because she thinks she is being taken in to get her nails cut.....

when i do try to stop and look at the pups, she is tugging on me to get AWAY.......

Old 06-23-2009, 06:27 PM

19,126 posts, read 26,601,840 times
Whenever my dog goes out into a public area where there may be other pets/children she ALWAYS wears a head harness with 5' lead, non retractable. She LOVES people, especially children and I don't want her to jump on anyone in a fit of glee Our other dog (we just adopted her 2 weeks ago) isn't quite ready to go out in public, but it will be the same way for her. I'm so sick of those retractable leashes... people tend to ignore their dogs when they're on them.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:37 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,982,894 times
Excellent post zugor - reps!

Great info for people that haven't spent much time around shelter pets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or