U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 03:13 PM

1,628 posts, read 5,877,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mominbristow View Post

BTW, does anyone else find it ironic that we spend hours and hours researching the best food for our dogs, then grab a quick burger from McDs for our own dinner?!
I sure as heck don't!! I get decent dog food at Pet Smart, and have never given it more than 1 minute of thought. I clicked on this b/c I was surprised people spend time figuring out what to feed their dogs!

I eat organic healthy food myself however and will spend considerable time preparing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 07:03 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,175,540 times
Dr Marty Goldstein has some very good info here, and gives some examples of the best brands as well.

Dr. Marty Goldstein - Dr. Marty's Feeding Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
I sure as heck don't!! I get decent dog food at Pet Smart, and have never given it more than 1 minute of thought. I clicked on this b/c I was surprised people spend time figuring out what to feed their dogs!

Time researching dog food = NOTHING compared to the time spent in heartbreaking confusion during that recall thing just a couple of years ago.

Also considering that thousands got sick and died after $$$ at the vets, it's a darned good thing that pet owners, consumers won't let themselves be lied to and robbed any longer by crook companies, which are still having recalls (and were even before that catastrophe.)

Pet owners were forced to wise up and become savvy, diligent consumers because we found out the HARD WAY that we can't trust all that fancy, BOGUS advertising thrown in our faces.

This applies to any product we spend our hard-earned $$$ on -- not just what we buy for our pets.

As mentioned, Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble not only lists ingredients for each food, it bases ratings on just what those ingredients are; just explaining them all "in Plain English."

Old 06-20-2009, 07:27 PM

3,627 posts, read 12,760,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Since reading about all the things they call "food" in pet food (ground up dead animals, for one), and given our 11-yr-old Lhasa's dwindling appetite, we went to homemade. Every week, I cook up a pound of ground beef (20% fat), 1 c. rice, and 1.5 cups veggies blended into a "soup"), until it absorbs most of the liquid, and freeze it into two small containers -- four servings per container. (I started using garlic, too, but my husband objected to her breath, so that stopped.)

It's been a just about a month, now, and she eat EVERY meal, her digestion/elimination is much improved, and she seems happier.
I think you are off to a good start but for the long term, Leorah's post makes sense. Dogs still need a good source of calcium and phosphorus and that needs to come either from raw meaty bones or a commercial bone meal. Some of the books listed above have recipies you can make to make sure you are not missing anything - as do some of the mixes she mentioned..

Old 06-20-2009, 09:46 PM

2,806 posts, read 6,487,323 times
Mine absolutely LOVE Honest Kitchen's dehydrated raw food...they even whine when they smell it in the hydrating process, (smells garlicky...lol!) We've been really happy with it! I also always have TOTW on-hand (grainless and EXCELLENT quality, especially for the price!) Good luck on your quest for the perfect dog food...and kudos to you for taking the time to ask & research!!!

Old 06-23-2009, 09:59 AM

369 posts, read 1,821,603 times
Default Update!

We are 1 week into WELLNESS just for puppies.... My poor dog still has yet to have a solid stool... Everything is very muddy and pudding like! As I mentioned earlier in the thread, we changed foods.. From Pro Plan to Wellness cold turkey.. We all agreed it would probably give him diareah... But when is enough enough?? 2 weeks? a month?

Also, where do we go from here?

Put him back on proplan, which he refused to eat.. or go COld turkey again to something else???

thanks for any advice!

Old 06-23-2009, 11:19 AM

1,479 posts, read 7,001,849 times
Questions for you:

When you say loose stools, are they like pudding or like water?
How often does he eliminate?
Is he gaining weight and growing at a normal rate otherwise?
Has he been tested for coccidia and giardia? Both can cause loose stools.

One of the problems with changing foods is the impact it has on the bacteria in the dog's gut. Dog's may not have the digestive flora to handle new ingredients in a new food, resulting in loose stools. Some dogs don't do well with any food having grain, chicken or soy. Wellness puppy does have some grain and Wellness Core grain free is not for puppies. Canidae and Natural Balance do make grain free foods for all life stages, which can be fed to puppies as well as adult dogs.

If you decide to try another brand of food, transition the pup to the new food over 5 days or so. Mix a bit of the new food with the current food the first day and add a little more each day until completely transitioned.

It usually takes a couple of weeks for the gut to settle down when a new food is introduced. You can add some plain, fat free yogurt to the food to help digestion.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:40 AM

4,126 posts, read 13,236,682 times
Several of mine weren't as firm on Wellness as they were on other brands, they were never loose-loose but looser than I'd like, and I've heard that from others too, they're OK w/ the treats but dont get the Wellness treats every day (I rotate several diff. brands of treats). It is a good food though but it just may not agree w/ him. Leorah had good suggestions about transitioning and also plain fat-free yogurt, maybe would try plain canned pumpkin (baking aisle, not the filling) but would prob. hold off w/ the pumpkin for a while b/c you dont want to introduce him to too many new foods in a short period of time.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:18 PM

369 posts, read 1,821,603 times
Question: When you say loose stools, are they like pudding or like water?

Answer: They are often pudding like.. Today his stool did have a log like formation, but it was followed by really soft stool.. that was like watery.. I want to say it was like mucousy.. kinda like gravy almost.. ( not to be gross )

Question: How often does he eliminate?
Answer: 3 or 4 times a day.. Give or take.. He used to just poop once or twice a day.. sometimes 3 times.. now he may poop 6 times in a day since switching foods....

Question:Is he gaining weight and growing at a normal rate otherwise?
Answer: He's already at full size.. He seems to be maintaining weight.. He looks the same!

Question: Has he been tested for coccidia and giardia? Both can cause loose stools.
Answer: No he hasn't been brought to the vet because we are certain it has to do with the food. His stools were fine before we switched.. We switched because pro plan is garbage, and he didnt eat it until he realized that if he didnt he would starve...

Quote:
One of the problems with changing foods is the impact it has on the bacteria in the dog's gut. Dog's may not have the digestive flora to handle new ingredients in a new food, resulting in loose stools. Some dogs don't do well with any food having grain, chicken or soy. Wellness puppy does have some grain and Wellness Core grain free is not for puppies. Canidae and Natural Balance do make grain free foods for all life stages, which can be fed to puppies as well as adult dogs.

If you decide to try another brand of food, transition the pup to the new food over 5 days or so. Mix a bit of the new food with the current food the first day and add a little more each day until completely transitioned.

It usually takes a couple of weeks for the gut to settle down when a new food is introduced. You can add some plain, fat free yogurt to the food to help digestion.
Interesting. I'm just wondering if this is bad food FOR HIM.. We should try the yogurt idea... He's been eating it...i just dont know what to do, or what I should try should we switch... I'm Soooooo confused!

Old 06-23-2009, 12:35 PM

1,765 posts, read 6,361,263 times
Honest Kitchen (web site is same)

that's all I give my weimaraner.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:06 PM

1,479 posts, read 7,001,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench Warmer View Post
Question: When you say loose stools, are they like pudding or like water?

Answer: They are often pudding like.. Today his stool did have a log like formation, but it was followed by really soft stool.. that was like watery.. I want to say it was like mucousy.. kinda like gravy almost.. ( not to be gross )

Question: How often does he eliminate?
Answer: 3 or 4 times a day.. Give or take.. He used to just poop once or twice a day.. sometimes 3 times.. now he may poop 6 times in a day since switching foods....

Question:Is he gaining weight and growing at a normal rate otherwise?
Answer: He's already at full size.. He seems to be maintaining weight.. He looks the same!

Question: Has he been tested for coccidia and giardia? Both can cause loose stools.
Answer: No he hasn't been brought to the vet because we are certain it has to do with the food. His stools were fine before we switched.. We switched because pro plan is garbage, and he didnt eat it until he realized that if he didnt he would starve...

Interesting. I'm just wondering if this is bad food FOR HIM.. We should try the yogurt idea... He's been eating it...i just dont know what to do, or what I should try should we switch... I'm Soooooo confused!
Since he seems to be fine other than the loose stools, you may want to give him another week or so on the Wellness to see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't, try another food. Not all foods agree with all dogs.

Sometimes dogs that overeat have loose stools, so perhaps he's just eating more and isn't used to it yet.

Since his elimination frequency has changed and you are seeing some mucousy stuff, just to make sure there's nothing else going on you may want to drop off a stool sample at the vet for testing. Can't hurt to rule out parasites and giardia/coccidia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or