Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 05:28 PM

593 posts, read 2,894,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench Warmer View Post
Which dog food is best? I've read the info on websites like dogfoodanalysis.com .. But I'm still left wondering.. What food is best? Especially for my Manchester Terrier.. A small (20lb) high energy breed with a short haired coat!

The breeder told us pro plan was what he was on his whole life. When we got him, he ate the pro plan at first, then quit on us. He also seemed to have a difficult time squeezing out poops!

After reading about how bad pro plan actually is we switched him to Wellness... Cold turkey! Now he has been having loose stools for the past 3 days.. I found some bad reviews on wellness, complaining of the very same thing.. loose stools.. diareah..

I'm still trying to figure out what food will be best for us.. I plan on giving wellness a month to regulate... but if he quits on us, where do we go from here?
MY boys used to be on wellness (super 5 chicken) for a couple of years. They did fine on it at first but as time went on, loose stools were a common occurence and it got worse and worse until one day they diarhea bad and I believe it was from the food. I send in samples to mother hubbard and they came back and said there was no pathogens found in the food.

I switched them to another brand (Castor & Pollux) This was last summer. They have been doing much better on C&P. So far so good. Firm stools. They like it. It doesn't have a foul odor like so many dog foods. It's a lot cheaper too which is a bonus- especially since wellness had just skyrocketed up to like $65 a bag at that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 3,930 times
Default Homemade Food For Dogs

Which dog food is the best? Homemade dog food of course. In general, homemade dog food has less probability of being contaminated or poisonous unlike those commercial food where food recall is very common. With the dog food recall scare – and the stuff about wheat gluten and rice proteins and melamine, I thnk its in the best interest to feed your dog homemade food.

Commercial dog food is very expensive. In order to maintain the wellbeing of your dog, I think it is necessary for us as the owners to provide essential nutrients and vitamin sources in their food. Homemade dog food also has proven to eliminate serious complication - [URL="http://www.homemadefood4dogs.com/"]Homemade Food Recipes 4 Dogs[/URL].

However in order to make homemade dog food you have to know what you are feeding to different types of breeds to achieve their optimum diet requirements.For example, when I include salt in my homemade dog food it has caused his fur to fall off rapidly. I am improving my homemade dog food recipes through the web [URL="http://www.homemadefood4dogs.com/"]Homemade Food Recipes 4 Dogs[/URL].

Old 08-05-2009, 06:25 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,660,266 times
I am going to decide on one of these after doing some research:
These are supposedly grain free....unfortunately most are out of my price range for now!

1.) Acana
2.) Innova EVO
3.) Orijen
4.) The Honest Kitchen
5.) Ziwi Peak ( $109.00 for 11 lb. bag )
6.) California Natural
7.) TOTW
8.) Wellness

These are more my price range:

Chicken Soup for Dog Lovers Soul, Natural Balance, Castor & Pollux, Blue Buffalo

I have them on Nutro Natural Choice right now.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:34 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
These are supposedly grain free....unfortunately most are out of my price range for now!

1.) Acana
2.) Innova EVO
3.) Orijen
4.) The Honest Kitchen
6.) California Natural
7.) TOTW
8.) Wellness

Chicken Soup for Dog Lovers Soul, Natural Balance, Castor & Pollux, Blue Buffalo

Artie has tried Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul and didn't respond well to it. I don't think that's indicative of the food, though, which I'm told is terrific -- I believe he's grain intolerant.

He's now eating Wellness Core mixed with Taste of the Wild (venison/bison), which he likes very much. Due to cost, I'm going to just give him the TOTW once this bag of Wellness Core is finished.

I've heard positive things about Blue Buffalo, and even more positive things about Natural Balance. Given Artie's grain intolerance and the limited selection at my local store though, our choices are limited. That said, I'd give him Natural Balance if I could.

As for the Ziwi Peak, at that price, there had better be Kobe beef and/or lobster in that bag! Sheesh!

Old 08-11-2009, 08:56 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,920,829 times
I fed my shepherd Blue Buffalo and he loved it and seemed to do very well on it. I have a Corgi pup that I will put him on it as well. I can get it at any Pet Smart and it's affordable.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:40 PM

218 posts, read 799,123 times
Quote:

1.) Acana
2.) Innova EVO
3.) Orijen
4.) The Honest Kitchen
6.) California Natural
7.) TOTW
8.) Wellness

I fed Mojo CS (puppy formula) and overall I felt like it was a good food. If finances had me searching for a new dog food I would feel good feeding him CS again. Personally I do prefer grainless so he has been rotating between EVO (loves it!) and TOTW (likes it but haven't tried all the formulas yet). Recently discovered that I can get Orijen locally so that will be our next bag.

I use the Natural Balance food rolls as treats and Mojo loves it. Would be a bit pricey for me to feed that full time though. Not at all familiar with Castor & Pollux but have heard good things about Blue Buffalo.

And while I realize the OP was a couple of months ago, should anyone read this thread because they're having the same issue, pumpkin will help firm up the stools right away. Not the pie filling with spices but the pure canned pumpkin! A couple of tablespoons (can mix it with his meals or serve it plain if he'll eat it) will do wonders. If poop is still runny, feed pumpkin again. Of course, if you don't know why his stools are soft I'd suggest a trip (or at least a stool sample) to the vet.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:43 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,314,495 times
Bandit's currently eating Blue Buffalo. He doesn't love it. He tolerates it fine; he just doesn't act very excited about mealtimes.

He has eaten Avoderm and he liked that.

He also liked Eukanuba's Naturally Wild (Venison).

Old 09-14-2009, 04:51 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,422,703 times
Anyone use Science Diet? It's more expensive than I'd like to pay, but you gotta do what you gotta do

Old 09-14-2009, 05:54 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:

1.) Acana
2.) Innova EVO
3.) Orijen
4.) The Honest Kitchen
6.) California Natural
7.) TOTW
8.) Wellness

I have been using Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, Large Breed for the last two years and both my Mastiff and my Alaskan Husky love it. Everything on your list is a top quality dog food, so no matter what you choose you can't go wrong.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:57 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
Anyone use Science Diet? It's more expensive than I'd like to pay, but you gotta do what you gotta do
Avoid Science Diet like the plague. It is one of the worst dog foods on the market today. Powdered cellulose (a.k.a. sawdust) is one of Science Diets top 10 ingredients, in addition to corn. It is definitely not something you would want to feed even your worst enemy's dog, much less your own.

Quote:
Hill's Science Diet Canine Adult Oral Care

Chicken By-product Meal, Corn Meal, Brewer's Rice, Powdered Cellulose, Soybean Mill Run, Animal Fat (preserved With BHA, Propyl Gallate And Citric Acid), Dried Egg Product, Vegetable Oil, Natural Flavor, Flaxseed, Taurine, Preserved With BHT And BHA, Beta-carotene, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Choline Chloride, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Niacin, Thiamine, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (minimum) 21 %
Crude Fat (minimum) 13 %
Crude Fiber (maximum) 12%
Moisture (maximum) 11 %
By-Products are beaks, feet, feathers, and other disjecta membra that is essentially undigestible. Dogs have great difficulty digesting corn, in any form. Brewer's rice is waste product. Soybean mill run is another waste product, consisting of soybean hulls, and only what soybean that manages to cling to the hulls. When they will not specify the animal where the fat comes from, assume the worst.

Last edited by Glitch; 09-14-2009 at 06:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs