U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 01:11 PM

369 posts, read 1,827,637 times

Advertisements

Which dog food is best? I've read the info on websites like dogfoodanalysis.com .. But I'm still left wondering.. What food is best? Especially for my Manchester Terrier.. A small (20lb) high energy breed with a short haired coat!

The breeder told us pro plan was what he was on his whole life. When we got him, he ate the pro plan at first, then quit on us. He also seemed to have a difficult time squeezing out poops!

After reading about how bad pro plan actually is we switched him to Wellness... Cold turkey! Now he has been having loose stools for the past 3 days.. I found some bad reviews on wellness, complaining of the very same thing.. loose stools.. diareah..

I'm still trying to figure out what food will be best for us.. I plan on giving wellness a month to regulate... but if he quits on us, where do we go from here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 01:14 PM

10,091 posts, read 36,770,422 times
Going cold turkey on the Wellness was the first no-no. You've upset his digestive tract. Any time a new food is introduced you must slowly introduce the new with the old. I have never heard anything negative about Wellness, but I suppose there are dogs out there that could be allergic or have a bad reaction. Wellness is rated in the 6th catagory...can't do any better than that. There are other 6 rated foods...you could try those, but remember to introduce slowly, or you'll have the same reaction.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:40 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,376,483 times
Wellness is good, as are brands like Acana, Orijen, Merrick and EVO. We feed our 9 month old Bulldog raw food, since I firmly believe that even the good kibble can't be that great if its shelf life is 2 years or more. He's been doing wonderfully on it.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:31 PM

133 posts, read 476,961 times
Wellness is really good...no matter what you feed your dog, always introduce new foods to his system slowly.
I feed my two GSD's a combination of Blues organics kibble, Honest Kitchen ( excellent ) and raw.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:53 PM

16,649 posts, read 26,630,359 times
Artie loooooves Wellness Core.

He's grain intolerant so, upon finding that out, he was happy to be fed something grainless.

Because the Wellness Core is $60 for 26 lbs, I typically mix it up with another grainless food -- Taste of the Wild (bison/venison flavor), which he eats as if they're treats. The TOTW is $49 for 30 lbs and is just as high a quality.

Interestingly, every time I switched Artie's food, I did it gradually. But his stool was always soft -- but I discovered that was because he was grain intolerant. When I switched to grainless (Wellness Core), I switched him cold turkey because I didn't want his stomach to continue to hurt from the previous food with the grain in it. And he did fine, but that was a unique situation.

Another interesting fact: Artie's stool got firm on Wellness Core. But, again, that's because he was grain intolerant and his previous food wasn't agreeing with him.

So, my opinion is that Wellness Core and TOTW are great foods. But your mileage may vary, of course.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:05 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,109,442 times
It seems that the latest thinking is to not keep a dog on a single food for years on end but to choose 3 or 4 different brands and keep them on one brand for several months, transition them to the next brand over a week or so, feed them that for another several months and so on. A rotation diet. The theory is that even well formulated foods have some variation in nutrients and by rotating through several kinds you are more likely to make sure they get a healthy balance over the long term.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:26 PM

753 posts, read 2,217,740 times
I started my boxer on wellness ocean core, and she did great. I always had to mix in some canned food because she wouldn't eat it otherwise. But with the price being so high, I switched to TOTW, and it has been even better for my girl. I no longer have to mix in the canned stuff. I do plan to rotate food next time I buy. I have read many times that they can develop allergies if the food is not changed and I don't want that to happen.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:41 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,859,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
It seems that the latest thinking is to not keep a dog on a single food for years on end but to choose 3 or 4 different brands and keep them on one brand for several months, transition them to the next brand over a week or so, feed them that for another several months and so on. A rotation diet. The theory is that even well formulated foods have some variation in nutrients and by rotating through several kinds you are more likely to make sure they get a healthy balance over the long term.
I think this is a sound theory, and we have been doing this too.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:01 PM

173 posts, read 500,727 times
I'll echo what everyone else has said -- Wellness is a good food, just make sure you switch over gradually (especially if switching from a grocery store brand like ProPlan). We usually alternate between Evo and Orijen, but any of those 6-star category (and even 5-star category) foods should be good.

BTW, does anyone else find it ironic that we spend hours and hours researching the best food for our dogs, then grab a quick burger from McDs for our own dinner?!

Old 06-19-2009, 07:15 PM

10,091 posts, read 36,770,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I think this is a sound theory, and we have been doing this too.
We do this as well...At the moment Wellness Core and TOTW...with a little Evo thrown in!
My only concerns...should there ever be another recall...I'll have no idea which got them ill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or