U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2009, 08:13 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,374,312 times

Advertisements

Police: Woman skinned puppy to make belt - USATODAY.com

There. Are. No. Words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 08:16 PM

9,912 posts, read 12,477,331 times
I vote Cruella De Ville gets to be the first LIVE human face transplant donor.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:36 PM

4,980 posts, read 8,441,396 times
Really sick... that is an abomination.
I saw a video from a Swiss man that he took in China. They don't even kill the dogs, they skin them alive. They raise them solely for fur. They have no feelings toward the dogs.
It made me have nightmares. I have since taken to writing letters about it, but there are absolutely NO laws regarding animals in China.
I try to do what I can, I joined the ASPCA and other organizations, and I write letters, but I feel I am not doing enough.
I only wish there really is a hell, because people like this should rot in it, but most religions don't teach any decency toward animals at all.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:21 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,278,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
...but there are absolutely NO laws regarding animals in China...
Not to mention any large dog is either shot or clubbed to death on-sight in Beijing. It is illegal to "harbor" a large dog. (I doubt things have changed much in the few years since I first learned of this info).

Have you ever gone to the Best Friends website. They are one of the no-kill rescues which took a good number of the Michael Vick rescues. I think it was last year where they had an article about the ONLY rescue organization in China. Land of one billion people. One of the founders had visited Best Friends. I sent an email to her to thank her for her work....talk about an uphill battle. So, you may want to search BF and read about their very brave (in more ways than one) work.

Best Friends Animal Society Home Page

Re the OP's post: This is why I would end up in jail if I got heavily into rescues. Some people are simply evil, and no amount of praying will change that.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:40 PM

4,980 posts, read 8,441,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
Not to mention any large dog is either shot or clubbed to death on-sight in Beijing. It is illegal to "harbor" a large dog. (I doubt things have changed much in the few years since I first learned of this info).

Have you ever gone to the Best Friends website. They are one of the no-kill rescues which took a good number of the Michael Vick rescues. I think it was last year where they had an article about the ONLY rescue organization in China. Land of one billion people. One of the founders had visited Best Friends. I sent an email to her to thank her for her work....talk about an uphill battle. So, you may want to search BF and read about their very brave (in more ways than one) work.

Best Friends Animal Society Home Page

Re the OP's post: This is why I would end up in jail if I got heavily into rescues. Some people are simply evil, and no amount of praying will change that.

I will check it out!

In China, they cage bears in cages so small they cannot move. They extract their gall bile with a needle. It is so cruel. I saw that Jackie Chan was against the "bear farming."

Yeah, I am like you, I have no feelings for people who hurt animals.
Some of the experiments done to animals are just repetitious. Like we all KNOW cigarette smoke is bad, but they keep subjecting animals to it.

I have had pet rats. They are like small dogs, smart and very affectionate and they bond with their owners fiercely. I'd put some of the rats I have had up against any dog or cat for intelligence.

It really bothers me that they are abused because so many people don't realize what great animals they are.

I had to put one to sleep last year. She was over 3 years old, which is old for a rat. She was like a friend to me. I had them put her to sleep with gas, first, before they injected her, so she would not feel anything. Before I took her in, she crawled up onto my chest, and clung to me, and bit my lower lip, hanging on, she never hurt me or drew any blood. It was like she knew. How she knew how much pressure to apply with those sharp teeth was beyond me! But we were so bonded. She always wanted love, and gave it too.

When I hear someone say, "Oh, it's just an animal, not a human", it angers me...of course they aren't human, but they feel pain, fear, affection, joy, contentment, and amusement. I just don't get the rationale of some people.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:58 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,278,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
It really bothers me that [rats] are abused because so many people don't realize what great animals they are.

When I hear someone say, "Oh, it's just an animal, not a human", it angers me...of course they aren't human, but they feel pain, fear, affection, joy, contentment, and amusement. I just don't get the rationale of some people.
They not only can feel all those things you mentioned, but can make decisions based upon several choices (not necessarily just training) and respond to their names being called.

A few years ago I saw a program about a man who trains giant African rats to detect land mines; apparently they are much better workers than dogs! They were also working on the rats detecting (smelling?) certain cancers in human beings, the way some dogs are trained. Pretty fascinating stuff...-- APOPO --

Old 06-20-2009, 11:17 AM

56 posts, read 148,403 times
a few years back, our daughter showed us a site from Europe, where a younger lady made purses and wallets from animals, she even posted video on the steps that went into it.

I will ask My daughter sometime when we talk if she remembers where it was located, pretty bazzar. it takes all kinds of people.

My hub says whatever you can think of far fetched, creepest things, someone in the world is doing it!

a lot of sick twisted people out there.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:17 AM

8,309 posts, read 34,422,661 times
She needs tarring and feathering. Maybe running out of town on a rail as well.

Sidebar: I had rats when I was younger. While they are certainly more endearing than I would ever have expected, I'll still take the pepsi challenge with my dog against any rat in history any day of the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or