U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 11:14 AM

9,355 posts, read 16,854,361 times

Advertisements

coffee shops / restaurants, etc. are considered "indoors" by dogs... even on the patio .... or at least by my dog and every other single dog i have seen when we are out and about.... she will not go until i take her outside to relieve herself......

and how is disposal of a dirty diaper in the trash any better or less disgusting than disposal of a tied off bag of dog poop in the trash?? both are "bacteria laden"

and somehow, i don't think damien the rottweiler is going to be making any appearances in public gathering places anytime soon ......

Old 06-29-2009, 12:18 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,525,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
coffee shops / restaurants, etc. are considered "indoors" by dogs... even on the patio .... or at least by my dog and every other single dog i have seen when we are out and about.... she will not go until i take her outside to relieve herself......

and how is disposal of a dirty diaper in the trash any better or less disgusting than disposal of a tied off bag of dog poop in the trash?? both are "bacteria laden"

and somehow, i don't think damien the rottweiler is going to be making any appearances in public gathering places anytime soon ......
First thing is:

You don't see the feces of the baby, and you may or may not smell it momentarily, but after the diaper is changed (not in eyesight), the smell is gone as well.

The feces on the floor, unless owner keeps a bottle of pine sol in their purse for such matters, will continue to stink, and will not be a pleasant odor to eat a sandwhich around, before, during and after (and since were outside, how about the flys that will continue to hand around the "remnants" of the feces).

Second thing:

At no point was breed type, size or temperment distinguished, it is simply should DOGS be allowed in restarants. This could mean foofy the 3 lb teacup yorkie, to damien the 160 lb rottie mix.

I trust that your dog can mind his manners, and I would hope that you can trust that my kids will mind theirs. But can I trust that Damiens owner can control her pet gorrilla?

An unruly kid= mild/high annoyance, and a sigh of relief that he/she is not yours

An unruly dog= danger of bite, mauling or worse, and a hope and a prayer that you can get out of there fast enough before he sets his eyes on you

Old 06-29-2009, 12:26 PM

6,039 posts, read 9,463,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
No, I am not talking about a seeing eye dog neither.

I was sitting in Carabou Coffeee ejoying my smoothie and all of a sudden a guy walks in with his black Lab. I was like "huh"!

He looked around as if it was a normal thing to do.

Why on eath would someone bring a dog inside of a eating establishment?

I see it all the time here in Chicago. We have a lot of outdoor resturants and it never fails someone always has their dog with them.
Because dogs are better behaved than 90% of adults and 99% of children, and they're better company too. If the dog is leashed and behaves, I have no problem with it being inside a business establishment.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:26 PM

9,355 posts, read 16,854,361 times
people who own "damien the rottweiler" KNOW they have a damien dog, because, generally, they have CREATED the damien aspect...... and as a rule, do not put them in situations that you describe...... they don't want to expose themselves to the potential liability....... even those considered less enlighened have the sense to know this about their dogs......

to be perfectly honest, i have yet to see a dog relieve him or herself in a restaurant or public gathering place..... not saying it doesn't happen, just that in all of the dog friendly places that bailey and i have been to over the last 4 years, i have yet to see such a thing.....

poopy diapers?? those with some regularity....... oh and unruly kids can EASILY mean tripped wait staff, messes ALL AROUND their tables (uh oh, here come those flies again).... you get the point.....

HOWEVER.... i can see that we will have to agree to disagree on these points, because i will not change my opinion and i doubt you will change yours......

boils down to this ..... it is a relatively simple matter to determine if an establishment is dog friendly .... if this offends you.... DON'T GO THERE...... ..... unfortunately for the rest of us..... EVERY place is kid friendly, so we are not able to make that choice........

Old 06-29-2009, 12:40 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,525,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
people who own "damien the rottweiler" KNOW they have a damien dog, because, generally, they have CREATED the damien aspect...... and as a rule, do not put them in situations that you describe...... they don't want to expose themselves to the potential liability....... even those considered less enlighened have the sense to know this about their dogs......

to be perfectly honest, i have yet to see a dog relieve him or herself in a restaurant or public gathering place..... not saying it doesn't happen, just that in all of the dog friendly places that bailey and i have been to over the last 4 years, i have yet to see such a thing.....

poopy diapers?? those with some regularity.......

HOWEVER.... i can see that we will have to agree to disagree on these points, because i will not change my opinion and i doubt you will change yours......

boils down to this ..... it is a relatively simple matter to determine if an establishment is dog friendly .... if this offends you.... DON'T GO THERE...... ..... unfortunately for the rest of us..... EVERY place is kid friendly, so we are not able to make that choice........
I will agree to disagree, but one more thing: Damien the helldog, is around more than you may want to beleive. Visit a dog park, pet smart, vet, etc and you can see many, many unsocialized, unruly, vicous big dogs, with an idiot, clueless owner who thinks it is cute/macho/funny that his 200lb mastiff mix or Boerbel barks and shows it's teeth at smaller dogs, or other owners, and even thinks his dog (and himself) should be respected for this.

Secondly, I love dogs, I have three myself, yet I also have kids. I frequent places that are dog friendly with my family, and I have no issue with places designed for dogs! It would be wrong all together if someone wanted to open up a bakery in the middle of of a doggy diner, and then complained about the smell and noise. Same issue just reversed! Were talking about Red Lobster or Starbucks allowing animals to enter and hopefully "behave", while I attempt to drink my latte and enjoy my admirals feast. Some things just don't mix

However when it comes to the consumption of human food, I look for cleanliness, and having a shaggy dog, passing gas, drooling, and licking his unmentionables while he is laying dangerously close to the bread pudding doesnt do it for me!

All in all, I respectfull agree to disagree! Peace and blessings!

Last edited by cool rob; 06-29-2009 at 01:55 PM..

Old 06-29-2009, 03:28 PM

43,564 posts, read 52,720,164 times
Gee...I have yet to see either of my dogs defecate in public, let alone indoors. Unlike the baby, they know how to tell me they need to go.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:49 PM

4,551 posts, read 10,214,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
Lets compare the two shall we:

A dog who has a bacteria laden bowel movement, directly from his anus most likely onto the floor of the restaraunt, versus a kid who has the same bowel movement into a diaper, and his parent takes the kid into the bathroom and throws the diaper in the trash, where as the dog owner wipes up (most of) the feces and puts it in a bag, (nevermind I am eating a brownie here, or the restarant have carpet!)

Or how about this one, bratty damien the 2 year old is blowing snot bubbles out of his nose, and screaming at the top of his lungs and his mom thinks it is sooooo cute versus

Damein the 160 pound rottie/pit mix is intimidating old folks, by snarling his teeth, lunging and barking uncontrollably at kids, because his owner thinks it is soooooooooo cute

Now how often have you seen "damiein" this 160 pound dog doing this? I am hoping you can give more exact dates than just some sort of vague reference?

Old 06-29-2009, 05:55 PM

4,334 posts, read 12,231,248 times
I went three hours away to visit my Dad and took my Chi. I could not leave him in my Dads big home. He would have freaked. My Dad goes to this coffee shop everyday. They gave us special clout to bring my little guy in. We sat at the counter. No one complained. He was the hit of the coffee shop!
My little guy is very quiet and well behaved.

Last edited by Blondie621; 06-29-2009 at 06:13 PM..

Old 06-29-2009, 09:11 PM

1,628 posts, read 3,164,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
Also, I *think* it's irrefutable, but the presence of animals lowers our blood pressure, and kind of "gentles" people up, if you know what I mean. Having an animal present starts conversations, brings out smiles, softens expressions, etc.

Having dogs in stores, cafes, hospitals, etc. should be mandatory if just for the medical benefits!
Yep, true! I think, just as there are zipcars, there should be zip-dogs - everyone should have to have a dog ride in the car with them during rush hour. I, for one, drive much more gently with mine in the car. And can you imagine the near-extinction of road rage?

Old 06-29-2009, 09:17 PM

1,628 posts, read 3,164,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdweisman View Post
my initial reaction to the op is that they don't have a dog. why else would they find a dog in a resturant offensive? do they believe people will let their dogs go to the bathroom in the resturant?

my dogs are very well behaved. i feed them with a fork and they say please ( well i know it means please when they woof,) and thank you ( maybe the kissing is what the op objects to) so i maintain my dogs are better behaved then almost all children and many adults eating along side me.
just my humble view.
Unfortunately, it's just plain illegal to bring pets (other than therapy animals) INTO a restaurant where food is prepared, unless you have a special permit. it is a Health Code Violation. And because it can be expensive to meet and maintain the requirements of such a permit, the number of REAL dog-friendly bars and restaurants is slim-to-none.

Outdoor patios are excepted, of course.

Baltimore used to have one, but they had to stop because it was too expensive.

For anyone in South Carolina near the Pawley's Island area, however, I boarded my girl at a place called "Dog's Way Inn" (I was visiting family who didn't want the dog in the house, so I boarded her there so I could visit her every day) - on the same property, they have a dog park AND a dog-friendly bar. I had a lot of fun there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or