U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-21-2009, 10:21 AM

357 posts, read 979,801 times

Advertisements

lol

I'm on this forum every 5 minutes #itching about something.. You may have seen my threads on separation anxiety, and which dog food to feed..

Well I switched my dogs food.. I went from Pro Plan, to Wellness. The reason why is, he wasn't eating it. Then I found out the truth about Pro Plan. It was a simple choice.. When I brought in Wellness, my dog found his appetite again... He ate a cup in the morning, and a cup at night.. no problem.. Now he's back to not eating in the morning..

I don't care if he doesn't want to eat in the morning, but the problem is, when he doesn't eat all morning.. he pukes.... every time..

I'm about to drop him off at Doggy Day Camp.. I just hate dropping him off on an empty stomach..

He devours his food when he gets back from day camp though....

Yesterday I dropped off some food with him at day camp.. they said he didn't eat it during their lunch time that they have...

I'm just wondering if its the food... is it me? I just feel bad seeing him barf when he doesn't eat...
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 10:44 AM

12,380 posts, read 12,410,575 times
Hi there!

Artie also eats Wellness (Core) but no matter what food I'm giving him, it's hit or miss if he will eat his morning meal. Most of the time, he won't. He doesn't vomit, but it bothers me a bit that he won't eat it. Granted, I leave his food out -- and I work from home -- so I see that sometimes (whether it's at 10 or 1 or 3), he'll get hungry and eat.

It's not the food, though -- Artie skipped his morning meal more times than not, no matter how good the food was. And I can't imagine that it's YOU. Maybe they're just not hungry? I suspect that the Wellness food IS more filling, so maybe they're not yet hungry for the morning meal?

Old 06-21-2009, 10:57 AM

1,315 posts, read 4,569,616 times
What is he vomiting? Is it yellow or is it frothy white? Yellow indicates bile and is usually due to an empty stomach.

Is his weight stable or is he losing weight? If his weight is stable, his total caloric intake is fine.

You may want to consult your vet to rule out any parasites like giardia that can cause vomiting. If his vet says he's fine, here's a couple of ideas:

Many dogs with sensitive stomachs do better if fed more frequently. Feed him the same total amount, but on a different schedule. A light meal in the afternoon, and then another light meal right before bedtime so he has something in his stomach overnight. Then a light meal in the morning.

More late-day activity may help build a morning appetite. Later in the evening take him for a long walk or engage him in some good strenuous activity so he'll burn some calories and be hungry in the morning.

Oh, and ask your vet if your dog would benefit from a small dose of Pepcid each day. Sometimes that is all that's needed to stop the vomiting. Your vet can give you the proper dosage.

One of my dogs had this issue in the past and limiting treats and more frequent meals combined with a few weeks of Pepcid support solved the problem.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:58 AM

7,686 posts, read 8,919,243 times
bailey only RARELY eats a very little bit in the morning..... she gets a cup in the AM and a cup in the PM..... if she doesn't eat the morning food, i leave it there for her for the day..... and it is ALWAYS still there when i get home...... once i get home in the afternoon or early evening, she will generally eat then.... and once she finishes that.... i will give her the 2nd cup when we come home from the park..... that she will eat over the course of the rest of the evening and night.......

Old 06-21-2009, 11:01 AM

399 posts, read 1,153,614 times
I have always had ADHD dobes (much like the rest of our family). The kids and I aren't big eaters in the morning, either. I have found that with a few dog treats in the morning, by evening they are ready to eat. Because large-breed dogs are more prone to bloat, after dinner in an elevated dish then it's out to potty then nite-nite (no exercise or playing.) Works well for us. When I've tried to alter it, they leave the full dish, lie down and stare????? By the 3rd dobe, I'm done trying to force the issue

Old 06-21-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
What is he vomiting? Is it yellow or is it frothy white? Yellow indicates bile and is usually due to an empty stomach.

Is his weight stable or is he losing weight? If his weight is stable, his total caloric intake is fine.

You may want to consult your vet to rule out any parasites like giardia that can cause vomiting. If his vet says he's fine, here's a couple of ideas:

Many dogs with sensitive stomachs do better if fed more frequently. Feed him the same total amount, but on a different schedule. A light meal in the afternoon, and then another light meal right before bedtime so he has something in his stomach overnight. Then a light meal in the morning.

More late-day activity may help build a morning appetite. Later in the evening take him for a long walk or engage him in some good strenuous activity so he'll burn some calories and be hungry in the morning.

Oh, and ask your vet if your dog would benefit from a small dose of Pepcid each day. Sometimes that is all that's needed to stop the vomiting. Your vet can give you the proper dosage.

One of my dogs had this issue in the past and limiting treats and more frequent meals combined with a few weeks of Pepcid support solved the problem.

His puke is yellow.. with white foamy stuff aswell.. We got the dog 2 months ago, and the first thing I did was establish good health at the vet.. We had a bunch of blood work, and he got a stool sample tested.. He seems to be in good health. He only pukes when he doesn't eat..

Great post btw

Old 06-21-2009, 12:29 PM

16,388 posts, read 30,653,279 times
Is he vomiting after he scarfs down the food in the evening? Or in the morning when he doesn't want to eat? If in the a.m., then a Pepcid might help. As noted above, the vet can give you the correct dose based on weight. Good lcuk!

Old 06-21-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Is he vomiting after he scarfs down the food in the evening? Or in the morning when he doesn't want to eat? If in the a.m., then a Pepcid might help. As noted above, the vet can give you the correct dose based on weight. Good lcuk!

ussually pukes around noon time if he doesnt eat in the morning.. when he eats, he's fine.. when he doesnt eat.. we just sit around and wait for the puke to come.. because its a gaurentee...

I'll contact my vet!

and to answer the other persons question.. he seems to be maintaining his weight!

Old 06-21-2009, 07:00 PM

2,082 posts, read 2,920,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench Warmer View Post
His puke is yellow.. with white foamy stuff aswell.. We got the dog 2 months ago, and the first thing I did was establish good health at the vet.. We had a bunch of blood work, and he got a stool sample tested.. He seems to be in good health. He only pukes when he doesn't eat..
He may not have much of an appetite in the morning, but if he's vomiting up the yellow/white foam (because of an empty stomach) there are way to entice him to eat. If your dog is a healthy weight, you can add things to his kibble.

For instance: add some warmed-up low-sodium broth (vegetable/chicken/beef) to his kibble. The warm liquid will make a sort of gravy in his kibble and will soften it up as well, which makes it easier for the dog to digest. My dog LOVES for me to do this, and I just use use warm water. Another thing my dog likes is apple sauce or plain yogurt (or both!): a spoonful mixed into his kibble. If his stomach is upset, I may add something like a little yogurt and some plain, unsweetened oatmeal.

My dog, Bandit, used to throw up if his stomach was too empty, so I can relate. And sometimes it seems that Bandit just wants a little time to get up and get moving before he's ready for breakfast.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:03 PM

16,388 posts, read 30,653,279 times
My guess is that he won't eat b/c his stomach is bothering him. Then he veentually throws up. Vet visit is best. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs