Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 07:38 AM

557 posts, read 2,610,182 times

Advertisements

Good suggestions! Thanks! Will look for the Dermcap, too. Have been feeding Hobbs a lamb & rice forumula; have never used the generics. Need to revisit the thread on the best dog food. Sometimes we order from Drs. Foster & Smith. Started heart worm medication upon adoption which is supposed to treat other worms, too (but does it?). About the vets: I'm not going to be diplomatic. They just aren't up to par down here. We live in the country and have only a few options for vet clinics unless we want to try driving 3-4 hours. Neartest ones are 1.5 hours away. They are incredibly overloaded. Vets at both clinics used never remember even within a 6 hour span who you are and what procedure your pet is having done. Our last cat died while under the care of one vet clinic and it really ticked me off when the vet commented that my new kitty wasn't particularly friendly (maybe the cat didn't like the vet!) None of these vets have impressed us and we need to be truly proactive and ask all kinds of questions which don't always receive satisfactory answers. I'm comparing with the vets I went to in western WA who were excellent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 10:04 AM

314 posts, read 1,104,825 times
Its a bit old fashioned, but I put a couple tablespoons of bacon grease on my dogs dry food. Does wonders for their coat, not to mention they love the taste.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:26 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,977,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunInHair View Post
Started heart worm medication upon adoption which is supposed to treat other worms, too (but does it?).
The heartworm meds will help prevent other worms, but they don't do a good job of treating if they already have them. The reason I asked is because a dry coat is a hallmark of intestinal parasites.

Quote:
Its a bit old fashioned, but I put a couple tablespoons of bacon grease on my dogs dry food. Does wonders for their coat, not to mention they love the taste.
Eep! I'm really happy that works for your dogs, oldenfatt. It scares me though, because I've seen less than that amount of bacon fat cause bad, bad pancreatitis in dogs.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:04 AM

1,477 posts, read 7,908,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunInHair View Post
Started heart worm medication upon adoption which is supposed to treat other worms, too (but does it?)
It depends upon which product you use. Heartguard Plus treats hookworms and roundworms. Regular Heartguard does not. Interceptor treats hookworms, roundworms and whipworms as does Sentinel, I believe.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:47 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Please dog people, do not start feeding your dog bacon grease for their coats..I gave my poor pooch a couple of tablespoons for his dry coat, and he came down with an acute attack of pancreatitis.

Symptoms: walking with a hunched up back and drawn up abdomen, vomiting, diarrhea.

Stick to a bit of olive oil, fish oil, vitamin E, or adding in a little sauteed ground turkey to his kibble...

Many dogs will get sick from bacon grease and could end up with an enlarged pancreas...

Old 06-24-2009, 03:48 PM

314 posts, read 1,104,825 times
I should have mentioned that my dogs weigh 150-220 pounds.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:24 PM

557 posts, read 2,610,182 times
I recall now, years ago, putting a bit of bacon grease on my dog's dry food every Saturday when we'd cook bacon but we hardly ever have it now so will try Dermcap or similar. Guess I shouldn't expect overnight results with a dog who's likely been malnurished for a few years.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:46 AM

108 posts, read 114,491 times
There are so many vitamins and nutrients sprays available for your dogs to be mixed in the dog and cat food. And for sure these keep the pets healthy and covers any type of deficiencies. I use these and happy that my pets are healthier.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:22 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
if your dogs on a good diet it shouldn't NEED additional suplimentation.

The original thread is form 2009 so I hope the op managed to address the issue.
a situation like that id put money the dog was fed cheap food full of grain and filler...remove the junk and tada the issue of dry skin, ull fur and brittle nails/whiskers ect usually resolves itself pretty quickly.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:51 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times
Even though it's an old thread, I wanted to mention that I'd also have the thyroid checked. It could be an overactive thyroid rather than a nutritional issue. Although coming from a shelter, I would guess it's the latter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs