Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2009, 07:27 AM

1 posts, read 7,271 times

Advertisements

i HAVE A LOVING GENTLE GIANT PIT MIX. He HAS NO CLUE EVERYONE THINKS HE'S SUPPOSED TO BE MEAN.
WHEN I CAME HOME TWO DAY'S AGO THERE WAS A PIT BULL IN MY FENCED YARD. I PUT HER IN MY BACK YARD, BUT SOON AS MY DOG ENTERED THE YARD THE OTHER DOG JUMPED OVER FENCE AND ATTACKED MY DOG. (BRUCE)
AFTER THE FIGHT BRUCE DIDN'T SEEM TOO INJURED BUT NOW TWO DAY'S LATTER HE DOESN'T SEEM HIS SELF. AND HIS EAR WHERE THE DOG HAD A HOLD OF HIM IS NOW LOOKING BAD. THERE IS A DISCHARGE OF SOMETHING.I'VE BEAN TRYING TO KEEP IT CLEAN.BUT HE SCRATCHES. NOW THERE IS WHAT LOOKS TO BE A LIQUID POUCH FORMING UNDER HIS NECK.
COULD THIS BE AN ABSCESS? WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT THIS?SHORT OF TAKING HIM TO A VET.(NOT THAT I WONT)BUT I JUST TOOK HIM FOR A HURT PAD LAST MONTH AND IT COST ME 250.00 AND I REALLY DON'T HAVE IT TO SPEND. ANY ADVISE WILL BE APPRECIATED. SHELLI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 07:32 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
take your dog to the vet that is the best advice we can give you . sounds like your dog has developed an infection from the bite . You also need to find this other dogs owner and tell them that they owe for medical bills inflicted by their dog . If they dont want to pay call animal control and then you have legal ground to stand on . You can sue them for the bill in small claims court .

Old 07-02-2009, 08:19 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
Bruce needs to get to the vet asap as it sounds like an abcess. He needs antibiotics. Also, take a picture of the wounds and talk to the neighbors. They are responsible for any medical bills. If they are uncooperative, call the police and a lawyer. You and your neighbor may need to update the fence. The pitties in back of me have not jumped the fence, but they would crawl underneath. Their owner had another fence put up and a locking mechanism on the ground that has kept them out of my yard. While our Simon likes to run along the fence with them, he never liked them in his yard. Let us know how things go with Bruce. I'll hope for the best.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:42 AM

1,629 posts, read 3,476,825 times
Please go to the vet. Money is no object when it comes to the health and safety of a loved one.

In the future, it might help to defray some costs by getting pet insurance.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:02 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Vet now! The pouch is most likely an abcess and he needs antibiotics. The vet may culture the pus to see what will be most effective. For a human story, I punctured my finger in the garden and tried to treat it myself; my doctor gave me one antibiotic but changed it when the culture came back. By that time, my finger was huge and very painful. Don't put Bruce through this! Animals are more stoic than people and if he's not acting himself, something is really wrong.

I don't mean to scare you, but infections can get into the blood stream, go to the heart, and cause heart damage.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:29 AM

593 posts, read 2,893,334 times
Go to the vet at once.
When you get home, call a lawyer and sue the pants off your neighbor for the medical expenses plus whatever else you can get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs