Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 11:18 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Okay, I have a German Shepherd who I play games with alot, one of our favorites being "hot and cold" where I put her in a separate room while I hide a stuffed toy, let her out and then say "hot" and "cold" as she searches for it. Usually she has two or three turns before she has had enough. But then, she does the strangest thing: after she has found the toy, and she no longer wishes to continue playing, she will go to lie down, toy in her mouth, and then "mouth" it while lying down--just lie there, usually with it in between her paws, with her mouth all around it. She actually does it after most of our games. Why does she do this?
To be quite frank, that doesn't sound very "unidentified".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 12:16 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmomof11 View Post
We finally gave up on the stuffed toys around here. The stuffing, or as we call it, fairy poop, is such a pain to clean up! Still, it's hard to resist those cute toys, and they love tearing them up so much. Will I break my vow never to clean up fairy poop again? Most likely On a different topic, does anyone have an idea about a really tuff toy that would last perhaps more than 10 minutes with a Great Dane? He's 8 months now and he killed a Kong. Has anyone tried the fire hose toys with any success?
My pitt bull destroyed a Kong after less than a week They have lifetime warranties though, and if you send it in they'll send you a new one!

Old 06-25-2009, 12:53 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
i wouldnt expect kong to last too long if my dog actually used it as a chew toy. its more of a throw and retrieve thing so it doesnt get that much abuse.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:59 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Okay, I have a German Shepherd who I play games with alot, one of our favorites being "hot and cold" where I put her in a separate room while I hide a stuffed toy, let her out and then say "hot" and "cold" as she searches for it. Usually she has two or three turns before she has had enough. But then, she does the strangest thing: after she has found the toy, and she no longer wishes to continue playing, she will go to lie down, toy in her mouth, and then "mouth" it while lying down--just lie there, usually with it in between her paws, with her mouth all around it. She actually does it after most of our games. Why does she do this?
It is normal possessive behavior. She found her toy, and now it is hers.

My 6 year old female Alaskan Husky (Blizzard) likes to take my 2 year old male Mastiff's (Buddy) "toy of the moment" and play 'keep-away.' When Buddy finally gets his toy from Blizzard, he does exactly the same thing as your German Shepard. He lays down with his stuffed toy between his paws, and either pushes it with his nose (some of his toys squeak) or just rests his massive head on it. Until Blizzard comes over and takes it away from him, again. Then the game begins all over again. If he cannot manage to get his toy back from Blizzard (she runs around avoiding him, wagging her tail the entire time), then Buddy will either: 1) get frustrated and start dragging Blizzard's doggie bed around the house; or 2) Get interested in something else and ignore Blizzard. If Buddy looses interest in the game, Blizzard will deliberately parade in front of Buddy with the toy in her mouth. If Buddy ignores her, she looses interest in the game as well. She only plays the game to frustrate Buddy, she doesn't even like toys any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs