U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 09:58 AM

1,149 posts, read 2,198,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
I can see it making sense for health/safety reasons but not the usual t-shirts and the like that you see. Growing up we had small dogs and the older ones frequently wore sweaters. They definitely show a greater level of comfort and happiness when you help warm those old bones.
Well,I guess what really bothers me is, Some of them wear better and more expensive clothes than me!!!

Okie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 10:02 AM

9,352 posts, read 16,763,689 times
bailey and i went to an adoption event a few weeks ago where they held a doggie wedding ..... as a matter of fact, there were enough doggie couples that marched down the aisle that we broke the world's record..... i bought a little "wedding dress and veil" for her so people would know she was the bride..... didn't even attempt getting the dress on her because i knew that would NEVER happen.... the veil worked pretty well though..... another red heeler boy that is in foster care and looking for his forever home was her groom.... it was all in fun and a great way to get people out to the adoption event ..... there must have been 20 or better rescue groups there.....

sweaters for dogs in winter are understandable.... love the pic of shadow in her coat and snow boots..... also .... costumes for parades, halloween, or other events are fun..... not that i would EVER be able to get bailey to wear something like that.......

but dressing a dog up as a fashion accessory IS ridiculous......

Old 06-29-2009, 10:04 AM

8,191 posts, read 28,047,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie_Dokie! View Post
Well,I guess what really bothers me is, Some of them wear better and more expensive clothes than me!!!

Okie
Hahahaha! *hangs head in shame* I paid more than double for Shadow's winter boots than I paid for mine. Of course, she has twice as many feet as I do........

Old 06-29-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
OK - dogs in cold weather protection gear is totally different than dogs in sundresses.
Exactly!

Okie

Old 06-29-2009, 10:19 AM

376 posts, read 1,612,366 times
Yeah -- I see a lot of dressed up dogs (and nail polish!) down here (SW FL). I think it's sorta silly, but I'm not a fashion maven anyways so no skin off my back. I kinda wish there was a way to have a portion of the proceeds from such items (not protective wear, just costumey stuff) go to animal shelters, wouldn't that be nice?

Old 06-29-2009, 10:34 AM

315 posts, read 977,557 times
I probably have the only Fila with toenails that are regularly manicured and painted, and he guards the house wearing a feather boa and a tutu most days. My girls dress him up and he doesn't seem to mind. Looks silly to me, but he's their baby.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:51 AM

9,352 posts, read 16,763,689 times
hahahahahhahahahaha......

now THERE is a visual.......

Old 06-29-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenfatt View Post
I probably have the only Fila with toenails that are regularly manicured and painted, and he guards the house wearing a feather boa and a tutu most days. My girls dress him up and he doesn't seem to mind. Looks silly to me, but he's their baby.
If it makes you and the girls happy I guess no harm no foul.
But what the dog is thinking...
Maybe is....

"Wow!" What humans will do to make themselves feel good".
"As long as they feed me,groom me and take care of me...Well Hell,I don't care. Who am I to complain?"

Eat your heart out....Okie!

"Okie!"

Old 06-29-2009, 04:11 PM

7,079 posts, read 34,453,627 times
My dogs NEED coats in the winter!!! Pugs are NOT winter dogs and need to be kept warm in weather below freezing! And my chihuahua has NO hair on her abdomen and shivers when it's 50 degrees. Bigger dogs (where the surface to volume ratio is better) do MUCH better in the cold, and usually have thicker fur than my two. But my dogs NEED their coats.

And in NYC they put salt on all the streets and sidewalk in the winter. And it HURTS, so boots ARE in order. My pug limps from the pain of the salt.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:15 PM

4,585 posts, read 10,809,871 times
I'm not into the foo foo stuff but I do have a JRT with a short coat and on occasion it does get cold so I do have a jacket for him.

I think it depends on the breed and where they live, many with short coats aren't prepaired for freezing temps and snow plus stuff like salt and other chemicals they put out to melt the snow/ice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or