Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 08:03 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,665,410 times

Advertisements

Both cats and dogs find kittens to be a pain in the butt. They have no "animal" manners, they bounce off the walls and they have too much energy for anyone.
Give your kitten a chance to grow up a little. Let the dog get to slowly see the kitten through a crate so he realizes this scent is part of his home.
When the cat is old enought to defend himself they will work out the picking order.
Animals are surprising in their political correctness. They will work it out if you let them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 10:37 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,803,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiko11 View Post
Both cats and dogs find kittens to be a pain in the butt. They have no "animal" manners, they bounce off the walls and they have too much energy for anyone.
Give your kitten a chance to grow up a little. Let the dog get to slowly see the kitten through a crate so he realizes this scent is part of his home.
When the cat is old enought to defend himself they will work out the picking order.
Animals are surprising in their political correctness. They will work it out if you let them.
Don't declaw the kitten, it needs a mode of self defense if the dog gets too rough. It is amazing how much respect a 100lb dog will give an 8lb cat after it has a scratched up nose. It seems like an experience that never leaves most dogs, it seems to only take once unless you have a dog with a very high prey drive and a high pain tolerance. In that case though, you should never get a cat.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:04 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,217,702 times
Yes, back it up and take it slow. I would have the dog and kitten taking turns in a crate with the other loose in the room. Do that for a whole week! Then introduce one to the other while one is being held.
Hold one while the other runs around loose. Hold the dog while you get the kitten to play and chase and have your partner love on the kitten. All desire to chase and get excited by the dog should be no, sit, no.
And......in all looks by the dog at the cat, sniffs, whatever, I would emphasize to the dog that the kitten is first/alpha/off limits.
Practice interactions should take place when the dog has been exercised and fed.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:27 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
Roll the kitten up in some flour loaded with hot sauce and watch what happens when the dog gets a lick of him.
I have had two dogs, a Male German Shepard and a Female Lab who loved hot sauce. The both prefered Texas Pete followed by Tabasco...

When they would dig up field mice and bring them in the house, I would coat the mouse with sauce and put it back in the field. The Lab would find it, lick off the sauce and bring it back for a re-fill.

If you put some on your shoes to stop mild chewing, they would destroy the shoe...

I had these dogs at different times, so one did not teach the other...

Rich

Old 07-30-2009, 01:09 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
Intros should go slow....Scent plays a big part of introductions. I usually towel down each animal and then exchange towels. Let the animals adjust to the scent before the actual meeting. If your dog is lunging, then by all means keep him leashed or kennel one or the other. I usually put the dog in a down stay and let the kitten sniff...be sure to keep full control and be aware the dog could lunge. Most dogs need to have their noses smacked a few times by the cats...
Who ever said dogs do not get along with cats has been watching too many cartoons I've never had a dog who did NOT get along with the cats.
I just introduced our Dylan (Golden) to a new kitten just about the time you started this post. They are best of buds and where you find one, you'll find the other. In fact, as I type the kitten is lying in Dylan's tail!

Someone forgot to tell these two dogs and cats do not get along!

Old 07-30-2009, 01:42 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,404,704 times
I do have one dog that just loves cats....Unfortunately that because he thinks they make a wonderful snack. I believe he was breed to be what they call a "Hog Dog" in the South. When they figured out at 6 months old that he wasn't aggressive, whoever had him dumped him out in the country (where I found him, poor thing). He is a very good boy but still has very high prey drive that kicks in every now and then. I can usually shut him down with a "leave it" command. However, since I wouldn't be able to live with myself if he for once didn't listen, we will remain catless thoughout the remainder of his life.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:06 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenfatt View Post
Dogs do not like cats!
I disagree. Sauteed with shallots and a little Bernaise sauce and I am certain that the vast majority of dogs would love cat.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:19 PM

1,121 posts, read 3,665,410 times
There are two things you have to consider.
One is that the dog will only accept the cat if he thinks it's HIS cat.
The other is that the politics of the pack cannot be worked out until the kitten is old enough to give the dog a good scratch on the nose if he gets agressive. That is the start of respect.
Keep the kitten safe but let the dog interact with him everyday.
Don't use punishment or discipline. Just be very patient and let them work it out between themselves.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:14 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times
I think dogs and cats CAN get along but it depends on the dog's prey drive.

Growing up, we had 3 dogs (at different times) and one cat. The cat tolerated the dogs through out their lives. She would swat at a dog if it bothered her, but overall they got along.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:36 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,693,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenfatt View Post
People- here's a newsflash thats about 20,000 years in the making: Dogs do not like cats! Its axiomatic. Why the insistence on thinking every dog should tolerate one of the things?
I when young had an older cat, we did bring in a puppy a Geman Shepard.
The cat knew the house, looked the dog over, and did decide the boss will be me. Yes they never had a problem, she would go out, and the dog when older would mind her kittens. Later on, with 2 small dogs, I did bring home a 6 month old kitten, crated her, let dogs sniff, held her, then did keep them apart, for a few weeks. They all did get along well, even the bird, one dog
just did ignore the cat. Best keep them in a different place til they learn
to be together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs