U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 11:48 PM

1,628 posts, read 3,154,898 times

Advertisements

Same here - my housemate's black lab has had a number of lumps. They've been harmless aside from preventing range of motion/mobility. They've been surgically removed for the dog's comfort, but not because they were dangerous.

But definitely see the vet. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 07:48 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,126,605 times
My guess is that it's probably a harmless lipoma. But a cancerous mass won't necessarily be painful and won't necessarily cause any other signs until the cancer is very advanced. Given the size, I think I'd have it aspirated sooner rather than later if it were me.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:03 AM

4,704 posts, read 10,126,357 times
I will add make sure they do an aspiration of it. When I took Jazz in to have her lump looked at my regular vet was not there so one of the other vets looked at it. Right away she said "Oh that is a cyst" I said "Really? Because I don't think it is" and she assured me that I would see when she did the aspiration the syringe would fill with fluid and she was ceratin when she looked at the slides there would be no cancer. I had a gut feeling she was wrong. She stuck the needle in and had to pull back pretty hard to get anything so no it was not fluid filled. Yet she still assured me it would be nothing. I barely got home and got a phone call saying she had seen abnormal cells so was sending it to the pathologist. It was a soft tissue sarcoma, A nerve sheath sarcoma to be exact so make sure an aspiration is done.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:08 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,350,324 times
So it's been 3 weeks since my original post, and in that time I've found 4 other lumps on Bandit. I was staying pretty calm about it all until Wednesday when I discovered #5. I had a dreadful dream Wednesday night -- in the dream, Bandit had chewed all the fur off his body and his skin underneath was like chicken skin, and it was covered in these fleshy nodules and oozing protuberances -- so called and made the appointment and we went today. The doctor (new to us; the vet I go to has about 6 vets and I'd never met this one) felt the lumps, was able to isolate them, and took aspirations of all 5. Bandit was a champ. He just lay there and let her stick all those needles into him. (I did ask them to bring me some ice cubes once he started panting. He's epileptic, and overheating and stress are two main triggers. With all three of us...the vet, the tech, and myself...leaning all over him and doing invasive things, I figured he was in the danger zone.)

The vet checked all the samples under the microscope and they were all textbook cases of benign fatty tumors.

So I guess the official diagnosis is that Bandit has ADS: Aging Dog Syndrome. Ha! He's almost 8 years old and weighs 75 pounds, so that makes him about 60 in human years. As my Mama always says, old age ain't for sissies! Guess that counts for dogs as well. And dog-mamas.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:38 PM

4,127 posts, read 13,264,385 times
Whew, you (and Bandit, of course) dodged the bullet. Am very happy for you both. Now you can relax and you can have a good wkend. What a relief ;-)

Old 07-24-2009, 09:43 PM

21,843 posts, read 23,069,424 times
Thanks for the update - glad Bandit is feeling ok!

Old 07-25-2009, 01:19 AM

4,704 posts, read 10,126,357 times
Glad to hear that the bumps are not serious. It is still worth having any new bumps checked out as you never know and in the case of Jazz's nerve sheath sarcoma getting it off ASAP was very important. I hope you feel better now that you know what Bandit's bumps are.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:58 AM

10,091 posts, read 36,761,761 times
Great news! I always go under the assumption a vet visit is never wasted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or