Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 04:57 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,471,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpaw View Post
This is not true. I used a retractable on my 100# shepherd. It just takes training and paying attention. He knew just how far out he could go before he ran out of leash. I used it all the time for potty breaks. For walks I would use a regular leash but for going potty they are great. It lets them get a little further away from you so they can do their business

Everything is a training tool, you just need to lean how to use them.
Just make sure you pay attention to the wear and tear. If it starts to fray even a little bit, replace it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 06:20 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,322,377 times
Default Gentle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbark Hickory View Post
Translation: It punishes the dog for not being trained to walk on leash.
The "GENTLE Leader" is very gentle, no need to pull or yank the dog to get them to learn to walk on a leash. Or discontinue walking the dog because he/she pulling your arm out of joint. It also prevents harm to the dogs neck and vital airway. Can't see how there is any punishment with this product. Perhaps you are the type of dog owner that automatically has control of a dog, that is then you have a gift. Not all dogs are created equal. Some dogs do pull and are too big to control on a regular leash.. Still highly recommend this product!

Old 07-08-2009, 06:35 AM

593 posts, read 2,885,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary54mi View Post
The "GENTLE Leader" is very gentle, no need to pull or yank the dog to get them to learn to walk on a leash. Or discontinue walking the dog because he/she pulling your arm out of joint. It also prevents harm to the dogs neck and vital airway. Can't see how there is any punishment with this product. Perhaps you are the type of dog owner that automatically has control of a dog, that is then you have a gift. Not all dogs are created equal. Some dogs do pull and are too big to control on a regular leash.. Still highly recommend this product!
Actually my experience is with very stubborn breeds including one prey drive dog that will dart across the street if he sees a squirrel. I have had the best luck starting out with a short leash (3') so there is no momentum to yank your arm out of the socket. Do not allow the dog to sniff and mark every single tree. You lead the walk. The dog stays at your side at all times, nose up.
If we see a squirrel and he gets all bonkers we stop. He sits. We move on.

And that's another thing. I highly suggest training "machine gun sits" as my former trainer calls them. On the walk, you suddenly stop then have the dog sit and reward. Then repeat again over and over about 10 feet apart so your dog learns that what you stop, he sits.

He has learned that on a walk, we walk... side by side. In certain places we stop and sniff but only when allowed.

It just takes consistency so the dog knows what is expected of them. We go on a lot of urban walks on busy sidewalks so it is very important to stay side by side, and not sniff and pee on everything and not pull on the leash.

The dogs pick these concepts up pretty fast. I haven't had to resort to yanking the leash or getting a special harness.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:17 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,506,127 times
I stand with Mearth on the collar stance, as do other well-informed dog behaviorists.

The posts that advised you to keep the dog on a short lead, and stop every time it pulls are in the know.

I believe pieces of hot dog held in your leash hand will keep their interest on you, and when they walk beside you without pulling, a reward with a "Good [one-word command here -- like maybe "walk"] would be sufficient. It shouldn't take as long as a trip to buy a collar you won't need, and shouldn't use.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:03 AM

371 posts, read 1,256,248 times
*Update----
I read all the suggestions and researched on the internet. We also ask the pet store folks ( who knows?) and we did a few days with the "tree method". This is awful. Not only does the dog circle around me, wrapping the leash under my feet, he doesn't stop or sit still. Nor did that distract him from what was immediately around us. Plus my 'tree' would get pulled off balance ( I'm 5' 105lb).
Next we tried the Gentle Leader. Works but didn't seem like he learned how to walk on the leash, just was sort of forced to. When back on a regular colllar, he was back to pulling.
Finally, did go to the prong collar....*EXCELLENT results. It helped w/ the 'sit' at the door to put the leash on. Then as he ran past me off the porch, a quick jerk and me standing there, suprised him and he came back right away. Within a couple of minutes- if that- he seemed to 'get it' and stayed right by me. Crossed in front of me and a quick, gentle jerk and he was back. Back at the porch, he sat w/no correction, and followed me and even sat to get the leash off. I also gave him treats every time he did immediately come back to show next to me is the place to be! This was the first morning we walked w/pleasure. The collar mostly sat very loosely around his neck and the leash stayed loose in my hands. I can't believe how well and quickly it worked. I can see how this could be abused- I read very carefully about fit, when and how to correct, etc. before trying it.
For us it worked, by far, the *best.
thanks!!

Old 07-12-2009, 12:23 PM

8,307 posts, read 38,685,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liza54 View Post
*Update----
I read all the suggestions and researched on the internet. We also ask the pet store folks ( who knows?) and we did a few days with the "tree method". This is awful. Not only does the dog circle around me, wrapping the leash under my feet, he doesn't stop or sit still. Nor did that distract him from what was immediately around us. Plus my 'tree' would get pulled off balance ( I'm 5' 105lb).
Next we tried the Gentle Leader. Works but didn't seem like he learned how to walk on the leash, just was sort of forced to. When back on a regular colllar, he was back to pulling.
Finally, did go to the prong collar....*EXCELLENT results. It helped w/ the 'sit' at the door to put the leash on. Then as he ran past me off the porch, a quick jerk and me standing there, suprised him and he came back right away. Within a couple of minutes- if that- he seemed to 'get it' and stayed right by me. Crossed in front of me and a quick, gentle jerk and he was back. Back at the porch, he sat w/no correction, and followed me and even sat to get the leash off. I also gave him treats every time he did immediately come back to show next to me is the place to be! This was the first morning we walked w/pleasure. The collar mostly sat very loosely around his neck and the leash stayed loose in my hands. I can't believe how well and quickly it worked. I can see how this could be abused- I read very carefully about fit, when and how to correct, etc. before trying it.
thanks!!
That's weird, you didn't really strike me as evil or barbaric.

Congrats. Kind of makes your heart soar to have an obedient dog, doesn't it?

Old 07-12-2009, 07:03 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,910,781 times
Quote:
*Update----
thanks!!

Amazing how people that have never used it get all worked up about it. It's a great tool and I'm glad it worked for you. It's like power stering.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:15 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,571,047 times
Quote:
We're 'trying out' a dog for a couple of days ( lab mix) who seems gentle and intelligent. Unfortunately he has not been walked regularly and is not good on a leash. Since we eventually want our kids to take part in his walking, please recommend a leash ( there's many on the market ) to stop him from pulling!! Also how do you get the dog to stay by your side while walking, instead of pulling ahead?
thanks in advance, you all always come thru!
halti collar, AKA gentle leader.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:53 PM

371 posts, read 1,256,248 times
Gentle Leader did keep him by us, I mean being lead by the face would. But he wasn't learning, b/c he could figure out immediately when the old collar was on and he could pull. The prong collar, like another dog, corrected him not cruelly ( I mean come on, you don't yank the leash, you do a quick, gentle jerk) but as what they are used to. This collar worked wonders and already he's better w/ his old collar on. Maybe for some the GL works, but I personally wouldn't recommend it unless you want to use that type forever. And again, the tree method , was a joke.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:37 PM

557 posts, read 2,604,872 times
Didn't see any posts about the real issue at hand--the *dog* is leading! He think's he's the alpha--or certainly higher than the OP in pack order. I've had this situation myself with my labs and lab mixes. Training is required for proper behavior. Lots of options--obedience group classes, working with a trainer, phone consults with a trainer. The book "The Power of Positive Dog Training" by Pat Miller helped me a lot. For the quick, temporary fix when a dog pulls on leash, just stopping momentarily really does work--but this is not a replacement for having the dog learning to properly "heel".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs