U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 08:26 AM

371 posts, read 1,115,328 times

Advertisements

I may be taking a 2yr old male lab who is not neutered. When should I do this...after he's gotten comfortable in our home/ with us for a week or two or right away? How soon does this need to be done? Also, do most dogs seem different ( calmer,perhaps ) shortly after the procedure? I just don't want him to go thru too many changes at once!
thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 08:36 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,335,124 times
How soon? It could/should have been done when he was a pup...but it's never too late.
I would do it right away, and then he can come home and settle in with your family.
I doubt you'll notice much difference due to being neutered.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:44 AM

2,063 posts, read 6,004,945 times
ASAP IMO

I doubt you'll notice much difference right away. Over few weeks though he'll probably calm down a little. He'll also probably be more tolerant of other male dogs.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:48 AM

232 posts, read 501,529 times
I agree, as soon as you can! No reason to wait, really.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:58 AM

10,959 posts, read 6,164,276 times
My hubby and I have had 5 dogs throughout these years - all adopted, in a manner of speaking. One was 5 yrs old when he came to our house from the local humane society. They told us the previous owners turned him in after he had run off on more than one occasion. Their requirement was to get us to have him neutured, which we did. One day while we were at work, our front door blew open somehow and our two dogs went out to "explore their surroundings". When we came home that evening, they were both laying on the front lawn w/ their front paws crosssed, as if to say, "what took you so long?" Too cute. I think we were both relieved to see them. Perhaps the neutering helped? He could have still been wandering but the fact that he was waiting for us in our yard, says something.
Pups neuturing or spaying don't really seem to notice the difference as much as an older dog. Many vets do try to say to get the pooch fixed early on and not to wait. I had heard that pups under 5 months should wait til their 6th month, at least, but not sure if that's 100% true.
The older and heavier the pooch is tho the more difficult the operation and cost involved because of the aneasthia.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:08 AM

5,240 posts, read 13,979,023 times
Yep, immediately. I pull dogs from the shelter and do them ASAP. And they've been through just as much as your newly adopted dog. It really doesn't even phase them that much. And the sooner the better for them medically and hormonally / behaviorally.

And thank you for adopting and saving a life!!

Old 07-05-2009, 10:12 AM

593 posts, read 2,560,202 times
No reason to do it immediately either.
Sorry for my dissent on this issue but what's the rush?

You do not NEED to neuter your dog.

IF this is an indoor dog and you have a fenced yard and supervise when they are outdoors as you should be regardless, then there is a 0% chance they are going to make any puppies.

It's still a good idea to do it but I'd wait until your dog is settled.

I'm actually kind of surprised that the place you adopted from didn't require this or even let you leave without having this done.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:28 AM

371 posts, read 1,115,328 times
We're getting him from a family. Don't know why they didn't have it done earlier. I think I''ll get it done asap, so he can really settle in w/us afterwards. I hate to have his first couple days w/ us in pain, especiallly b/c my young kids want to be w/him right away!

Old 07-05-2009, 01:51 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,335,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liza54 View Post
We're getting him from a family. Don't know why they didn't have it done earlier. I think I''ll get it done asap, so he can really settle in w/us afterwards. I hate to have his first couple days w/ us in pain, especiallly b/c my young kids want to be w/him right away!

His pain shouldn't be that bad...they will give you an extra pain management RX if you ask....but I really doubt he'll need it....these guys usually seem to bounce right back pretty quickly....just give him lots of love and soft cuddles.

Old 07-05-2009, 06:14 PM

5,240 posts, read 13,979,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbark Hickory View Post
No reason to do it immediately either.
Sorry for my dissent on this issue but what's the rush?

You do not NEED to neuter your dog.

IF this is an indoor dog and you have a fenced yard and supervise when they are outdoors as you should be regardless, then there is a 0% chance they are going to make any puppies.

It's still a good idea to do it but I'd wait until your dog is settled.

I'm actually kind of surprised that the place you adopted from didn't require this or even let you leave without having this done.

Dogs aren't spayed / neutered only because of accidental litters. Reproductive cancer rate soar the older a dog gets. If I remember by the time they're like 7 years old there's a 50% risk of testicular cancer in males. Females are very prone to mammary cancers and uterine / ovarian cancer as well.

Aside from the medical reason, there are behavior issues associated with unaltered males and females. Spraying, moodiness, escaping, etc.

There's no reason to not neuter / spay a dog unless you are a responsible, reputable breeder that is trying to improve the lines of a pure bred working or showing dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs