U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 07:35 PM

1,055 posts, read 3,598,379 times

Advertisements

So my ice dispenser spit a piece out at an odd angle and it missed the cup one day. Harper scoops it up and runs off with it to eat and play with. Next time I'm filling my glass he wanders over and gives me an odd look so I toss him an ice cube. Now the second he hears the machine he runs over and sits (the usual command before giving him something) and stares at me until I toss him one.

Same with his walk cue. I work from home most of the time so I wear shorts/sweats a t-shirt and no shoes. For a week or two the only time I got dressed (shoes and jeans and stuff) was to take him for walks so for a while after that whenever I pulled on my jeans and grabbed my shoes he would go all nuts on me thinking we were going for a walk. A few weeks of meetings and on-site visits though and he has figured out it is only a 50/50 shot. He still hangs out by where I hang his leash though just in case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 07:50 PM

795 posts, read 3,925,246 times
dogs can be too smart for their own good sometimes!

speaking of this subject, here's something i just noticed with barnaby, my 12-year old shih tzu today...so i guess you really CAN teach an old dog new tricks.

lately when i've nit-picking him for fleas and ticks, or cleaning out his ears, or brushing his teeth, anything unpleasant, i must have also been finishing up by unthinkingly kissing him on the nose just before i went to get his treat...

because today when i started to trim the hair on his legs and stomach, i only got so far as trimming one front leg and then i looked up and we were literally face-to-face, and i just couldn't resist...i kissed him on his big black nose...

and he? well, he started wagging his tail and digging his head in his bed and rolling around on the floor...because he thought we were all finished.

and then i DID have to stop and go get him a treat.

like i said, too smart for his own good...or maybe that's too smart for my own good.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:47 PM

8,309 posts, read 34,386,059 times
You should see my dog at the mere sight of camouflage and/or shotguns. Last week I dropped his working whistle on the ground by accident and he went nuts thinking we were going to do some field work.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:00 PM

19,121 posts, read 26,671,610 times
My parents lab LOVES ice cubes. Anytime anyone goes in the kitchen he sits in front of the fridge and stares at the ice dispenser... he'll stay there for hours if you let him.

My dogs hear keys or metal rattle and they get all excited thinking we're going on a hike or to visit my parents dogs. One of the dogs does what we call 'tap dancing' because she used to jump up on us when she got excited but we didn't like that, so now she tap dances really quickly in place when she's excited

Old 07-08-2009, 09:08 PM

19,822 posts, read 55,970,721 times
When I adopted a chow/lab mix who was about 2 y/o, she learned in 3 days that when I put on earrings, changed shoes, and went to the bathroom, I was going out. I turned around on day 3 and she was already in her crate! I swear she was psychic - although the term for that is my behavior had become a discriminative stimulus for her!

Old 07-08-2009, 10:00 PM

593 posts, read 2,565,945 times
My dogs do the same when I'm getting ice cubes. They don't particularly like the ice cubes. They will sometimes run off and leave them in the other room or sometimes they will sniff it and lick and and just leave it. But they like GETTING ice cubes.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:45 PM

1,628 posts, read 3,161,955 times
Whenever I put on my shoes, she jumps all over me.

Whenever I pick up her leash, her tail wags like mad.

When I stretch on waking in the morning, she sidles up next to me so I can spoon her

She also comes running (even if dead asleep) when the refrigerator door opens.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:19 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,131,103 times
Years ago my teen aged nephew wanted to teach my golden retriever how to push the lever so that he could get his own ice cubes when ever he wanted.

Can't you just imagine the mess that Dooner D. Dog would have made.

Teenagers

Old 07-09-2009, 05:46 AM

1,808 posts, read 5,867,374 times
That sounds like what we call "the beagle dance of joy!". Tonka does the same thing any time we mention his "fun leash", which means we're about to go hiking or do something else with him that he enjoys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
One of the dogs does what we call 'tap dancing' because she used to jump up on us when she got excited but we didn't like that, so now she tap dances really quickly in place when she's excited

Old 07-09-2009, 09:19 AM

1,055 posts, read 3,598,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Years ago my teen aged nephew wanted to teach my golden retriever how to push the lever so that he could get his own ice cubes when ever he wanted.

Can't you just imagine the mess that Dooner D. Dog would have made.

Teenagers
Hahahaha I dread the day Harper figures that one out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or