U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 05:18 PM

6 posts, read 11,299 times

Advertisements

i gotta go with the ridgeback as well... great dog all around. great with heat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 05:28 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,232,440 times
Wow! Thank you for the suggestions! BTW, I didn't mean "trained" guard dog, just a pooch that will alert us to something not the norm and be a good scare to anyone potentially threatening.

I also would never house a pooch in a doghouse outside in FL. It would be important for the dog to be comfortable playing outside with children, going on walks, going to the beach, etc. Just makes sense that some breeds might do better in heat than others.

Thank you again! I will research the suggestions offered. You guys are great!

Old 07-10-2009, 05:39 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,232,440 times
I googled Rhodesian Ridgeback and Weimaraners...

Would it be silly for me to assume because they're extremely short haired, they do better in heat?

Sorry if I'm posting these pics in the wrong manner. These dogs are spectacular!

http://www.breederretriever.com/phot...ck_a_pups_.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...aner_Amigo.jpg

Old 07-10-2009, 05:56 PM

338 posts, read 867,332 times
My suggestion is to go to one of the many animal shelters inyour area and find a dog who fits the bill. If you pick a older pup or youg adult you can get a pretty good idea of the temperment and size. And you will be doing a good thing

Old 07-10-2009, 06:29 PM

295 posts, read 1,086,886 times
Ridgies are great dogs, but they are not short-coated couch potatoes and they are not a good fit for everyone. They are very intelligent, can be very stubborn, are high-drive and high-energy working dogs, and they do need a job. If you don't provide a job for them, they will find their own & their choice will probably not be even close to what you had in mind. Research the breed thoroughly and talk with reputable breeders, owners, rescuers. A good starting place is here: Things to Know About Rhodesian Ridgebacks | Rhodesian Ridgeback Rescue, Inc. .

Most dogs will alert to perceived threats once s/he has become part of your pack. Rescue dogs seem especially adept at this because they are so grateful to you for saving them. A medium to large dog with a deep bark will provide better a "deterrence factor" to potential threats than will a small dog, but never underestimate the tenacity of a terrier.

Coat length isn't a huge factor in how well a dog does in heat; it is an insulator against both heat and cold. However, dogs should NEVER be left hot areas (enclosed cars, kennels, outside, etc) regardless of coat length because they can quickly succumb to hyperthermia due to the fact that they do not sweat.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:41 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,831,619 times
No matter what dog you choose please consider a rescued dog or a dog from a shelter. I lived in FL for 30 plus years and while it is hot during summer most dogs do not suffer with the heat. While I love my weim and they are great with family, I also love my rescue dogs. I have one rescue mutt who lays right outside my bedroom door so no one is getting in my bedroom without him knowing.
If you have small children I wouldn't recommend a big dog only because the dogs are 'big' and could knock over a toddler. My kids were 5 and 8 when we got our first weim. He use to put his head on the pillow and lay beside my daughter.

If you have any questions about weims.. just ask

Old 07-11-2009, 07:21 AM

19,178 posts, read 8,964,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Rhodesian Ridgeback?

They're big, but they're good dogs.
agreed! my DD has a rhody. As a rescued dog, she is his 3rd "master". His loyality is beyond measure!
Never chased a bird, of any type, but look out, if a deer wandered acrossed our property!

Old 07-11-2009, 08:28 AM

58 posts, read 149,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellzBellz View Post
Beagle or Lab (they love the water)
Although My Chihuahua is all Rottweiler..and not a yapper...TG

Lab's can't stand the heat. I live in IL and she pants when it's 70. She also isn't much of a guard dog as she is an alert system.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:58 AM

315 posts, read 977,841 times
Female Rottweiler- females usually have a better, more considered response to threats.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:59 PM

6 posts, read 11,299 times
ridgebacks have a pretty mean sounding bark, but has never knocked over my 3 yr old
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs