U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 02:22 PM

12,403 posts, read 31,403,364 times

Advertisements

ANY Mutt or Purebred would do!! When we lived in Fla & I was a kid had Collie/Sheperd Mix!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 03:02 PM

7,556 posts, read 11,875,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glastron_79 View Post
Would it be silly for me to assume because they're extremely short haired, they do better in heat?
The coat has less to with a dog's tolerance of heat than its snout - short nosed animals simply can't breathe (cool themselves) as well. This type of dog is known as brachycephalic, of which I assume you're wanting to stay away from. A shame though, as the best guard dogs are part of this group, imo.

I have Dogues de Bordeaux, and it's 102F today - they're asleep in the kitchen.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:51 AM

7,488 posts, read 6,460,441 times
Doberman, but be prepared to manage a highly intelligent animal. Don't go into ownership without knowledge of how to well-train it, and keep its life intellectually interesting, so it doesn't develop behavioral problems.

This is true for any intelligent dog, not just dobies.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:48 PM

269 posts, read 950,599 times
As long as your dog will be living in your air conditioned house, I vote for any breed! You might want a large dog to be a physical deterrent - most working breeds don't bark much. I'd go to your local spca/humane society and pick one out! He/she can meet your children before you adopt and get a feel for how the new pup will be with children and even other dogs if you want.

Most dogs are protective of their family - just make sure you're willing to commit to some form of training so the dog knows the difference between your friends and an actual threat. Some "protective" breeds have been poorly bred and will not see the distinction.

I'd vote for any kind of working dog breed/mutt. I have a rottweiler (might be mixed) and boxer (also might be mixed) both from the spca. I raised them to be super friendly with people and other dogs because I didn't need/want a particularly protective breed. Still, when someone they don't know knocks on the door (especially at night - the scary barks come out).

Good luck with your search!!!

Old 07-13-2009, 02:00 PM

3,575 posts, read 5,813,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Wolfhounds are nice, not good guard dogs. And they also don't do well in the heat. Ridgebacks were originally used to hunt lion in South Africa: GREAT in the heat.
As a Wolfie owner I would have disagree, he is an exceptional guard dog, to the point our mail man will not come anywhere near the door anymore! He is not viscious but incredibly intimidating. They are 200% reliable with children, very gentle and incredily loyal, the only downside is they don't do great in the heat

My suggestions would be a Boerboel or a Rhodesian Ridgeback, both breeds are used to the heat and great temperaments.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:13 PM

2,949 posts, read 12,165,437 times
Gosh, no offense, but some of the recommendations are a little out there.

I have lived in south Florida for many years. I currently have a Whippet who is the best guard dog, loves children, is clean, loving, and just a sweet little guy that we love to pieces. We have had greyhounds who are not guard dogs, but just as loving and friendly as can be.

My recommendation is to go to the Human Society or a shelter (my greyhounds and whippet were rescues). Go to your local Bark Park and observe the dogs there. Labs have always been great for children. I have had two Beagles (one up north and one down here) and do not recommend them as a suitable breed unless you really research their background.

They say that breeds born in Florida tend to do better than those born elsewhere. Not sure how factual that is. There are lots of dogs just waiting to be adopted into a loving and caring home. Good luck to you!

Old 07-13-2009, 06:30 PM

13,793 posts, read 18,724,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
As a Wolfie owner I would have disagree, he is an exceptional guard dog, to the point our mail man will not come anywhere near the door anymore! He is not viscious but incredibly intimidating. They are 200% reliable with children, very gentle and incredily loyal, the only downside is they don't do great in the heat

My suggestions would be a Boerboel or a Rhodesian Ridgeback, both breeds are used to the heat and great temperaments.
I have to agree as well I had one I adopted from the humane society he was three yrs old and someone was messing around one of my windows and Iggie knew and he put his head to that window and I heard someone scream and starting to run !!! Needless to say I never had a problem with anyone coming anywhere near my house LOL !!! I always kept him in the house because I felt safer with him and he was so affectionate with me and my two boys . Wonderfull dog still miss him . He passed at 8 yrs old and I miss him teribly .

Old 07-13-2009, 08:57 PM

142 posts, read 413,141 times
You don't have to exclusively get a RR from a breeder, they have them in shelters as well, and I'm sure if you looked in your area you'd probably find a RR rescue locally. Rescue dogs are the best IMO, it's always better to "adopt not shop"

Old 07-13-2009, 11:07 PM

593 posts, read 2,562,698 times
Le Poodle

Old 07-13-2009, 11:09 PM

12,256 posts, read 16,184,986 times
I don't know what dog would fit my personality (kind of hard to find a sarcastic dog) but I'd love a chocolate lab. Always thought they were so pretty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs