Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 07:36 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,974,811 times

Advertisements

I rescued/adopted a dog (half black lab 2 years old) in May of 2008 and she has chronic stomach/esophagus inflamation which causes continued vomiting. We thought we had it mostly under control after searching for the right diet and medication but she has relapsed and is worse than ever......x-rays and endoscopes show no internal deformities. We have tried all types of system sensitive kibble and perscription wet food and she can't seem to keep any of it down. She is currently on predisone which seemed to bring things under control last year but is helping very little so far this time around. Does anyone have any experience with this than can offer any suggestions ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 09:35 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Can't help but just wanted to say I'm sorry for both of you, having to go through this!

Old 07-11-2009, 10:32 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
When my Lhasa was being treated for his cancer, he started developing digestive upset. Our vet suggested famotidine -- 5mg per day. He was a 24 lb dog. Your larger dog might need a larger dose. Of course check with your vet...

Have you tried putting yogurt in her food? Have you tried making her food, period? After reading so many scary articles about dog food, I started making my surviving female's meals (ground beef, brown rice, oatmeal, pureed veggies, including: spinach, peas, corn, carrots). She went from finicky to begging for more -- her weight increased three pounds in six weeks.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
When my Lhasa was being treated for his cancer, he started developing digestive upset. Our vet suggested famotidine -- 5mg per day. He was a 24 lb dog. Your larger dog might need a larger dose. Of course check with your vet...

Have you tried putting yogurt in her food? Have you tried making her food, period? After reading so many scary articles about dog food, I started making my surviving female's meals (ground beef, brown rice, oatmeal, pureed veggies, including: spinach, peas, corn, carrots). She went from finicky to begging for more -- her weight increased three pounds in six weeks.
Thank you......yes......I've been using yogurt......shes on special perscription wet food ......both Hills ID and Royal Canan (duck, rabbit, venison)....and of course the prednisone which doesn't seem to helping this time around like it did the first time......when I got her she was 43 lbs and I got her up to about 53 but shes lost most of the weight she gained....right now shes been getting just yogurt and chicken broth for the last 24 hours and shes still bringing that up........I'm at wits end.

Old 07-11-2009, 02:01 PM

315 posts, read 1,088,057 times
Sounds exactly like the problem my sister had with her dog. No matter what the vets tried the dog always relapsed. Finally after hearing about raw feeding she started the dog on it and for the past 2 yrs has had no problems. The dog is now healthy , happy and normal and was able to be taken off prednisone after a few months of raw feeding.

Old 07-11-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
Sounds exactly like the problem my sister had with her dog. No matter what the vets tried the dog always relapsed. Finally after hearing about raw feeding she started the dog on it and for the past 2 yrs has had no problems. The dog is now healthy , happy and normal and was able to be taken off prednisone after a few months of raw feeding.
Please describe this "raw feeding" and what it consists of.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:26 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
I don't feed raw 'yet' but have researching it. You can do a search on this forum it has been discussed many times. Many ppl feed raw chicken backs with a veggie mixture. I had a website but lost it when I had to reinstall windows, but here is one that may help

Raw Feeding FAQ

Old 07-11-2009, 06:07 PM

399 posts, read 2,253,055 times
You aren't feeding anything but the prescribed food, right? No table snacks or treats? Did your vet do a complete blood panel/CBC/Differential? When they scoped your dog, did they get biopsies and send them off? I'm sure they've probably done a fecal or two, but have to ask...have they run a fecal float and direct smear to check for parasites recently? Sometimes vets just go ahead and deworm anyway (especially since whipworm eggs can be difficult to find on a fecal) to see if that helps. There are medications that can help prevent vomiting, some to coat the stomach, some to help aid in digestion, some to aid in motility problems. There are just plenty of conditions that can cause chronic vomiting but it takes a good bit of detective work. Food allergies that cause vomiting aren't extremely common, but most vets agree that you have to feed a dog anyway so that wouldn't really be an extreme measure or cost to try, so why not feed a limited diet to cross that off of the list of possibilities, as well as knowing the dog is on a good diet .

We always started off with the fecals, complete blood work-up, food, anti-nausea medications. Then onto the x-rays/barium series, then the scope including biopsies of the whole GI tract. Next would be ultrasounds.

Have you tried feeding in smaller portions?

Old 07-11-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigafan View Post
You aren't feeding anything but the prescribed food, right? Yes....sometimes mixed with yogurt No table snacks or treats? None....shes never been able to tolerate them... Did your vet do a complete blood panel/CBC/Differential? Yes....all normal....both times it was done When they scoped your dog, did they get biopsies and send them off? Yes....nothing unusual except there was some erroded areas in her esophagus from the stomach acid from vomiting over a long period of time. That was all healed though after her first bout with this. I'm sure they've probably done a fecal or two, but have to ask...have they run a fecal float and direct smear to check for parasites recently? Yes.....her movements are all normal.....they have always been ok.....never loose.....the problems have always involved strictly vomiting, coughing and some congestion in the throat that one can hear "gurgling" at times along with some burping and hickuping.... Sometimes vets just go ahead and deworm anyway (especially since whipworm eggs can be difficult to find on a fecal) to see if that helps. There are medications that can help prevent vomiting, some to coat the stomach, some to help aid in digestion, some to aid in motility problems. Shes been on Metoclopramide 10mg and a Sucralfate 1 gm slurry at times....also a Pepcid to reduce stomach acid in the past too...There are just plenty of conditions that can cause chronic vomiting but it takes a good bit of detective work. Food allergies that cause vomiting aren't extremely common, but most vets agree that you have to feed a dog anyway so that wouldn't really be an extreme measure or cost to try, so why not feed a limited diet to cross that off of the list of possibilities, as well as knowing the dog is on a good diet .

We always started off with the fecals, complete blood work-up, food, anti-nausea medications. Then onto the x-rays/barium series, then the scope including biopsies of the whole GI tract. Next would be ultrasounds.
Shes had the X-rays....twice....the scope.......biopsies....and the ultrasound........everything looked normal.
Have you tried feeding in smaller portions?
Yes....tried feeding 3 times a day in smaller portions instead of twice a day.....now shes just on the Prednisone and for the last 36 hours I've reduced her diet to just easy liquid disgestables......chicken broth, yogurt and beaten raw eggs......if this doesn't work I don't know what to do next and I have a feeling that my vet is running out of cards to play too. She was "surrendered" from a house in the slums of Camden, New Jersey so I can't help but assume that she was poorly fed before I adopted her......her ribs and backbone were clearly visible.....God only knows what her diet was before I got her.

Last edited by FlyersFan; 07-11-2009 at 07:35 PM..

Old 07-22-2009, 08:23 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,657,508 times
I am bringing this thread back up to date here. Does anyone have any other info. or input on the health issue of this dog. The OP needs some help as he has run out of resources on this health issue to help his dog. Maybe another diet someone might know of? Any help ASAP would be greatly appreciated here! Maybe something even holistic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs