Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 12:30 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times

Advertisements

was going to rep you mrs 1885, but i gotta spread the love around some more....

well said..... and carries particular weight coming from someone who is in the rescue trenches day in and day out......

Old 07-15-2009, 01:00 PM

158 posts, read 493,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpaw View Post
I say this because the mother of my husbands staffy was not allowed to be around her pups, she was aggresive with them.

We got our shepherd at 8 weeks old and while he was in his crate she went off on that crate like I had not seen a dog ever do. I have not doubt that she would of killed him.

I talked to a lady that does Staffordshire rescue, she said it does happen. Some just don't like puppies.

But hey, what do I know.

mrs1885.......Great Post!
So if I have read your post correctly you are saying from one particular experience that you are basing all staffies to be like that?

Im not saying you know nothing, you probably do know more than me. However, you cant label one dog and say it will be like another.

I appreciate your opinion but Im not sure how useful it will be to answering my question, which was "how can you tell if a dog is pregnant?"

Old 07-15-2009, 01:05 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild_spirited_elz View Post
So if I have read your post correctly you are saying from one particular experience that you are basing all staffies to be like that?

Im not saying you know nothing, you probably do know more than me. However, you cant label one dog and say it will be like another.

I appreciate your opinion but Im not sure how useful it will be to answering my question, which was "how can you tell if a dog is pregnant?"
I think the post moved on when you said you'd just let her have the puppies. I was in the 'doubt she's pregnant' category based on time lines, but once you said that you changed your post. I don't think it's actually 'how can you tell she pregnant' as much as it is you want her to be. So the answers - suggestions, information, recommendations, etc - that you are getting are now based on your updated post, not the original.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
You've obviously decided you want puppies and the truth and the fact that allowing her to have them - even if you place every single one of them - is simply adding to the already out of control over over population problem isn't going to change your mind. You could care less about the ones being killed every single year. And you know what, that's your right. But at least be honest about it.

I'm so tired of people coming here and asking a question and when they don't get the answer they want because they don't like the truth since it doesn't work with their plan that they just ignore it or argue it.

So that's fine. Go ahead and let her have puppies. And if she kills them I'm sure it is just coincidence and you know much more than dogpaw. And if she dies in the process of having them, no big deal - God knows there are plenty other people out there like you breeding them willy nilly, like your aunt, so you can run right out and grab another.

I bet you have years of experience and knowledge. And you know all kinds of things like if a dog is a good mom than her puppies will always be wonderful mothers. I certainly wish someone had informed my cocker foster of that because she sucked as a mom and I had to do tons of bottle feeding and puppy butt cleaning when she just didn't feel like it.

I'm sure your aunt has tons of experience breeding her dogs and can give you all the advice you want, not need. She can tell you exactly what you want to hear. I'm sure she - as well as you - have done all the genetic testing that needs to be done to ensure a healthy litter.

All you have are a few examples. How long have you been involved in the breed? Because I was involved with rotties for over 12 years and still didn't feel that I had enough knowledge to properly breed and raise a litter of puppies that would add to the breed. But I guess compared to you I'm just a moron. I'm sure you've already found someone that does have the necessary experience that can help you do this right. And I'm sure the puppies she's carrying will help out the breed greatly. Congrats on such an awesome job!

Sorry. I've just had enough of posts like this. God forbid we ask for advice and give you an honest answer and guide you in the correct direction. Much better to ask people that know what they're talking about and then argue with them when you don't get your way.

Right first of all, I really dont think you read my post correctly. I was not looking for a lecture and being told that I am careless for not just my own pets sake but for others in shelters.

My question was to those people who either: have experienced dogs who have had a phantom pregnancy or to those who have experienced a dog actually going through pregnancy.

I was not looking for a personal attack. If you would really like to know, I already donate not just to my local animal shelter but also donate to the RSPCA and I dont appreciate being told I dont care about those animals in shelters because I DO.
The animals I have had previously were from shelters apart from Baker and George. I dont agree with people who breed animals for money and I WOULD NEVER EVER breed my Baker to make money because that is not ethical at all.

You are entitled to your opinion, however, you clearly have not read my post correctly and frankly if you dont have any answer that is relevant to my question then you should have not have posted on here.

It is to my understanding of being a member on this forum that the people on here should keep within the nature of the post and also give advice to those who have a question based on their experience, memories and relevant resources.

This forum is not a place to verbally attack somebody nor is it a place to be judgemental.
I asked a question and you gave me no relevant information that would be of use to me.

If you feel so strongly about animals being in shelters, then I suggest you write your own post about it and dont drag that into my post which has nothing to do with signs of dog pregnancy.

Im not arguing with you because I dont like the answer, I just dont feel you are giving me any advice or doing anything that may help me in this situation.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I think the post moved on when you said you'd just let her have the puppies. I was in the 'doubt she's pregnant' category based on time lines, but once you said that you changed your post. I don't think it's actually 'how can you tell she pregnant' as much as it is you want her to be. So the answers - suggestions, information, recommendations, etc - that you are getting are now based on your updated post, not the original.

Look, I really think you have misunderstood me here. I dont want her to have puppies, however I am against abortion and as you would gather I would not like Baker to have one.
What I meant by not minding her having the puppies is, if she is going to have them then i need advice on how to help in the delivery and the rest of her pregnancy so she will have healthy pups.
The post ACTUALLY changed when when somebody told me to have her spayed and it lead onto this

Old 07-15-2009, 01:38 PM

150 posts, read 980,716 times
I have a wild and crazy solution: Take your dog to a vet! There, that was easy.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006Buckeye View Post
I have a wild and crazy solution: Take your dog to a vet! There, that was easy.
I already have, i took her to the vets last week and she said that:
A: she couldnt feel anything
B: it was unlikely for her to be pregnant because her season was so long ago, it completly ended 16may

and have booked her to have tests done anyway just in case she is.. which scares the hell out of me because I really did keep a sharp SHAAARP eye on her when we went out walking and plus she neve met dogs on our walks as they arnt any dogs we encounter on our local walks

Old 07-15-2009, 01:52 PM

150 posts, read 980,716 times
Quote:
I already have if you read previoua posts and she said that that:
A: she couldnt feel anything
B: it was unlikely for her to be pregnant because her season was so long ago

So there, I already did and have booked her to have tests.

Too bad you didn't take her to the vet to be spayed initially. The logical assumption would be for the vet to do bloodwork to check for pregnancy.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:56 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,920,046 times
Quote:

Thats not what I said. But at this point it really doesn't matter. I really hope your girl is not pg.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006Buckeye View Post
Too bad you didn't take her to the vet to be spayed initially. The logical assumption would be for the vet to do bloodwork to check for pregnancy.
Yer I know.. We missed it because we went through some real tough times, we had to move house, changing jobs, issues going on and unfortunatly we just forgot all about Baker being spayed..
But hey, shes booked in to be spayed in aug and has been well before the whole "were not sure shes pregnant" thing..

So when shes spayed there will be no more confusion becuase we will defo know that it will be a phantom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs