Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 11:05 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,428,379 times

Advertisements

I am so far beyond ecstatic that I don't know what to do with myself! My house is so full of foster dogs and I get e-mails all the time of others being euthanized that I know I can't save until these are adopted. It breaks my heart. And this year has been really bad. No one wants to take on another mouth to feed in a bad economy.

But this month has been amazing. I could cry right now, in a good way!

Started with an adoption application late last month for Simon, the geriatric blind cocker spaniel we've been fostering for 2 years now. The potential adopter is a professional single female that adopted a female blind cocker a few years ago. She's decided she'd like to help another and found Simon on line. After confirming her info and vet reference, her application was approved. She was out of the country on vacation for a week or so, but came back early because she was so excited to meet Simon!! She called as soon as she stepped off the plane. Simon's going to meet his new potential mom and sister this afternoon at 6, and as long as there's no puppy mill in the backyard or dog testing lab in the basement and he gets along with everyone, Simon will finally have a home and family of his own!!

http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss2/HilltopAnimalRescueTeam/Available/Maggie%20and%20Simon%20cocker%20spaniels/simon.jpg (broken link)

I had a potential home for Simba, the chow we have, but they'd lost 3 dogs due to being irresponsible - no fenced yard and refused to put their dogs on a leash. One was run over by a vehicle, one escaped from the porch and the other was running loose killing the neighbor's chickens. I tried to work with them as they seem like a really nice retired couple, but they wouldn't even commit to keeping Simba leashed to keep him from being hit by a car, so I had to deny them. It killed me. Sim is gorgeous and so sweet and so deserves a home and family.

Then last week I got a call from a really wonderful lady who had just left the vet's office after having her chow put to sleep. They lost their male last year and the female last week. I got her application and confirmed all and approved that as well. So, pending the home check and introduction, Simba too may have his own family and home this Saturday!!

http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss2/HilltopAnimalRescueTeam/Available/Simba%20the%20Chow/move018.jpg (broken link)

Continued......................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 11:10 AM

Then I got an application several weeks back for one of the puppies we have. Confirmed all that and had another rescue person do the home check, which came back excellent. She lives in IN but her mom is in TN and she travels back and forth. So, later this week, Lacy (formerly puppy F) will go to her new home!! She's been my favorite of the litter, but don't tell the others!!

http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss2/HilltopAnimalRescueTeam/Available/Maggies%20puppies%20052609/015-3.jpg (broken link)

Then I got an application for two of the puppies that was approved! They're going all the way to UT to their new home!! And I had 2 pilots that do rescue work on the side offer to fly them. The second week of August they meet their new family!!

Puppy B, name still pending:

http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss2/HilltopAnimalRescueTeam/Available/Maggies%20puppies%20052609/003-2.jpg (broken link)

Puppy H, now named Harley:

http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss2/HilltopAnimalRescueTeam/Available/Maggies%20puppies%20052609/048.jpg (broken link)

Not done yet................. continued!!

Old 07-14-2009, 11:14 AM

Then early last week someone dropped 2 puppies at our house. Someone had originally dumped them at the local church and the people there would feed the scraps on Wed and Sun when they went by. Other than that, at just 6 or 7 weeks old, they were having to fend for themselves.

I got them loaded on the website Sunday and yesterday got a call about them! She sent an application, I confirmed it all this morning and we are hoping to do a home check / intro Thursday or Friday!! And she's possibly taking both of them!! That makes 7 little lives saved this month and the month isn't even half over yet!! I'm so happy I could dance!

Mindy, the female:

http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss2/HilltopAnimalRescueTeam/Available/Mindy%20chi%20terrier%20mix/July11006.jpg (broken link)

Max, the male:

http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss2/HilltopAnimalRescueTeam/Available/Gold%20male%20puppy/July11008.jpg (broken link)

We think they are both a terrier / chihuahua mix.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:26 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
That Chow is handsome! Glad you are doing so well this month, wish all the homeless could find a responsible home!!

Old 07-14-2009, 11:29 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,978,619 times
Ok, now I'm crying.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:42 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
Kansas Sky -- Please pass me a tissue, won't you? I'm crying too.

Mrs1885 -- I'm so happy for you. And for Simon. And for Simba. And for the puppies. And for the families that have adopted them. This is INDEED a wonderful month for you. Congratulations, and thank you for all that you do.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:49 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
doin' the happy dance for you and the lucky pups all the way up here in st. louis.......

Old 07-14-2009, 12:14 PM

Thanks guys! I'll take some tissues too! I do love the happy tears. And I can't help but think of all the others this makes room to save. Happy doesn't even begin to cover it!

Simba is handsome. I had wondered why no one was interested in him. I just think he's knock out gorgeous! He finally blew his winter coat a couple weeks ago and I got him all raked out. I think there was enough fur to make 18 more of him, and now he looks half the size he was! LOL!

Old 07-14-2009, 01:25 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,116,892 times
Fantastic month! It is always good to hear the happy stories of abandoned/shelter dogs finding a new forever home. Keep up the great work!

Old 07-14-2009, 04:57 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,376,409 times
Awoo woo wooo woo woo. That's my happy Malamute imitation. Fingers and paws crossed that this trend will continue for you. Thank you mrs1885 I needed some good news because....

Just had an email that we have a cat hoarder in our county. Elderly woman, over 70 cats counted and many more hiding. ONE litter box. Many ill, pregnant. Our pound only takes dogs and currently the HS has 19 adults and 34 kittens in foster care and with the slow econ. they just are not moving like they had been last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs