Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 10:47 AM

5,010 posts, read 10,686,308 times

Advertisements

A lot of people have been asking this very same question, which is why new "technology" has been designed for pets who remain indoors while their owners are at work. Please check this out:
Portable Dog Potty | All Dog Housetraining | FetchDog (http://www.fetchdog.com/pet-supplies/housetraining/alldoghousetraining/portable-dog-potty/B30028 - broken link)
Or this:
Large Dog Potty - Dog Beds Dog Harnesses & Collars Dog Clothes & Gifts for Dog Lovers | In The Company of Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 11:01 AM

973 posts, read 3,304,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
I have a question for you: Can YOU hold it all day?

Please have someone come and walk your dog. Leaving him in the yard isn't a good idea, for all the reasons that have been discussed above, and more. It's simply not safe.

Find a dog walker. I'm sure some teenager in your area would love to earn a few dollars each day to walk your dog.
I was beginning to wonder if anyone was going to ask this. I wouldn't even think of expecting my dog to hold it for 8-10 hours. I know exactly how I feel when I can't get to the bathroom right away and I have no doubt it is equally uncomfortable for a dog. My old vet told me years ago that he didn't think it was healthy to expect an animal to not use the bathroom for such extended periods of time. It makes sense to me.

I have few issues with leaving a dog in the yard but ONLY if they have access to a garage and that the yard is fairly secluded. If I lived on a corner lot along a busy street in a bad neighborhood, I would feel differently.

Is there a neighbor/friend who could come by and let the dog out? What about checking with a pet sitting service to see if they would stop by the let the dog out for a reasonable fee?

Old 07-16-2009, 12:22 PM

593 posts, read 2,893,545 times
I know a lot of people work 9-5 jobs or whatever but when a spouse or children are home to let the dog out then that helps.

My concern is not so much with the going to the bathroom part .. I'm pretty sure that is not going to be an issue until old age but instead making sure the dog will receive an adequate amount of exercise and mental stimulation after sleeping all night then sleeping all day til you come home and then have to unwind, deal with dinner & so on and so forth. That doesn't leave a lot of time for your dog. It really leaves the dog to his own devices for so much of the day.

It's important to remember that dogs are social animals that are happiest when they are with their people. And when they are left alone for long periods without adequate exercise and mental stimulation in their routine, that's when the dogs can bark for hours on end... unbeknownst to their owners... just out of boredom or they will make their own fun, using whatever is at their disposal to pass the time, be it furniture, carpeting, drywall.... you name it.

So if you can wake up at the crack of dawn, give this dog a nice long 30+ minute walk or 20 minutes of fetch, 10 minutes of obedience training practice, and make sure that tongue is dangling by the time you're done and you can pretty much count on him sleeping while you're gone instead of misbehaving. Then the second you get home you can let him out, then go on another walk or play then you'll be allright.

After a while, when he is trusted, you may be comfortable putting in a doggie door.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:36 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,647,597 times
Congratulations on your new friend! Many people have dogs and work all day. As long as you spend quality time with him when you are not at work, I wouldn't worry. I don't know what your yard is like, but I would think he would be okay out there as long as you have a doghouse and it isn't right out in the open to anyone that goes by. But, if he seems to do okay in the house, that's fine, too.

That being said - We have two bigger dogs, and just added a new small dog yesterday. Right now during the summer, the kids are home with thme, but when they go back to school, they will be alone for about 7 hours five days a week. The big dogs go in a big kennel together, with a sheltered area. They are fine with this. We live out in the country and if we don't put them in a kennel they will roam. Now for the small dog, I plan to get to know him and see what will work for him. If he is not a roamer, I can put in a doggie door to the garage and he can do what he wants. If he really wants to be with the other dogs, we can do that, or if I feel that inside is the safest place for him, that's what we'll do! Sometimes it's just a matter of trying things and seeing what works best.

Good luck - it will work out!

Old 07-16-2009, 01:40 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,023,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
OMG, he's adorable!!! I love him!

As for advice: I work from home AND have a fenced-in backyard, so Artie is at my beck and call, whether it's to go for a walk or be let out back to play.

However, when we do go somewhere for the day, I always get a dog walker to come take him out once or twice while I'm away. Artie's last walk is at 9pm and his first walk is at 6am (9 hours), so I know he can hold it overnight, and would likely be able to hold it during the day too. However, if you can swing a couple of $$ to have someone come walk Baxter (love the name too!) mid-day, I think he'd be grateful -- and you wouldn't feel bad/guilty.

he is at your beck and call or you are at his beck and call??

oh and back to the original topic..... bailey (60 lb red heeler mix) has held it all day since she was a puppy..... she HATES pooping in her own back yard and so will hold that even longer until we get to the park or out on our walk......

i wish like heck i had some responsible teens around who i could hire for mid-dayb or mid-afternoon walks..... as it is right now, i have been leaving the sliding door to my deck open enough for bailey and now charlie to go in and out as they please.....

Old 07-16-2009, 03:57 PM

14 posts, read 290,465 times
StarlaJane - Thanks for the links! Would the dog actually pee on the grass pad though? I would think the dog would stand on the grass pad and lift his leg and end up peeing on the wall?

Again, thanks for everyone's input. I am currently looking into finding a professional dog walker. Best price so far is $200 a month for a 30 min walk M-F. I'm really surprised that everyone seems to recommend a neighborhood kid. It may be because I live in Los Angeles, but I really wouldn't trust a random kid with keys to my home.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:00 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,469,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeatte View Post
SeeBee - Here's a picture It's actually from the first day I saw him at the shelter.
Thank you very much! He's a doll..

latetotheparty - LOL that the part about Bailey not going potty in her own backyard! Hey, at least she likes to keep her yard neat and tidy ~

Old 07-16-2009, 06:37 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,584,576 times
I have always worked full time and I have always had dogs. I use to work 5-8 hr shifts but for years have worked 3 -12 hr shifts so while I have 4 days off every week I am gone over 12 hrs on the other 3 and my dogs have done fine. I do have a dog door that allows them to go out on a fenced patio to relieve themselves some times they go out sometimes they hold it. The down side of holding it is it is not good and can lead to bladder stones in dogs prone to that. Most of my dog loving friends have dogs that are left alone for 8+ hrs a day and yes they do fine.

I see people suggesting getting a a teenager to come spend some time with the dog, I have another suggestion that people over look. How about an active senior? There are many senior people that live in retirement settings that do not allow dogs or just do not feel they can any longer care for or maybe even afford a dog but really miss having one. You might be able to find such a person that would love to come take the dog on a walk mid day.... kind of a " dog share " where they get too enjoy a dog with out all the hassles of being a real owner. If you live near any retirement places you might want to go see if there is some one that might be interested. The positive is you not only might make your dog happier but you might brighten the day of some lonely senior.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:40 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,686,308 times
Quote:
StarlaJane - Thanks for the links! Would the dog actually pee on the grass pad though? I would think the dog would stand on the grass pad and lift his leg and end up peeing on the wall?

Again, thanks for everyone's input. I am currently looking into finding a professional dog walker. Best price so far is $200 a month for a 30 min walk M-F. I'm really surprised that everyone seems to recommend a neighborhood kid. It may be because I live in Los Angeles, but I really wouldn't trust a random kid with keys to my home.
*LOL* I have a female, so I didn't really think about that! So, apparently, they need to design a faux hedge for the boy doggies!!
I think that a dog-walker will be your best bet, at least until they invent the faux hedge. Otherwise, you actually could put pee-pads against a wall with the faux grass pad underneath.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:27 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,975,192 times
Quote:
Hi,

This is my first post here and I'm hoping to get some constructive advice. My husband and I just adopted a 3-4 year old "Shepard mix" (60 lbs) from a shelter (Baxter). He's been home with us about 1 week now. He's been doing great and I have been off work to help him adjust. Next Monday, I go back to work and I work 8:00 am -6:00 pm (includes commute time). I am worried about leaving Baxter at home alone during that time. I'm worried about two things: 1) He will get lonely/restless and develop negative behaviors and 2) He won't be able to hold it all day. I'd like some thoughts on this.

Also, right now because we have cats, Baxter spends his days and nights in a separated room. When he and the cats get along, we would like them to all have free access around the house, but we don't know when that will happen. We walk him 30 minutes in the morning and night. We also have a medium sized backyard. My husband and I are at odds about whether to keep him in the separated room during the day or in the backyard. What is best? For right now, he seems comfortable in the separated room and seems to think of it as his den. He seems to be more comfortable in the room than the backyard; he's uneasy in the backyard, but he's spent less time there. The room seems like such a small space for him though.

I know some people think it is horrible to leave a dog alone 40 hours a week and I'm starting to think I feel this way too, but I want to keep him! Thank you in advance!

My dog......female, black lab mix has no problems holding it 10 hours.....11pm till 9 am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs