Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 09:56 AM

14 posts, read 290,455 times

Advertisements

I love all of the wonderful ideas I am getting from this forum!
piperspal - Excellent idea! I will call the shelter I got Baxter from and see if there is anyone advertising their TLC services. The shelter is not that close to my house though so I will also contact nearby shelters.
seebee - What you are saying is so true! The no kill shelter I got Baxter from had him in his kennel from 5pm to 11am with no potty breaks or visitations. This shelter is considered a great shelter too!

I checked out the senior center down the street, but it turned out to be more of a nursing home and assisted living center.

Update: So far, my solution is a service that does an "express visit" for 10 min for $12 ($144 a month). So, I would have them come M-W to walk Baxter around the block around lunch time for a potty break. Although he won't be getting a real walk, he can go potty and it will break up his day a little. He will still get his 30 min morning and evening walks. On Thursdays, I would come home and do it myself. I get every other Friday off, so I would be home then. I would try to make it home the Fridays I am working, but even if I can't then that means Baxter will have to "hold it" 2 days a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 10:26 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,952,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeatte View Post
Update: So far, my solution is a service that does an "express visit" for 10 min for $12 ($144 a month). So, I would have them come M-W to walk Baxter around the block around lunch time for a potty break. Although he won't be getting a real walk, he can go potty and it will break up his day a little. He will still get his 30 min morning and evening walks. On Thursdays, I would come home and do it myself. I get every other Friday off, so I would be home then. I would try to make it home the Fridays I am working, but even if I can't then that means Baxter will have to "hold it" 2 days a month.
I have a hunch that if Baxter could speak, he'd tell you he feels like he just won the lottery!
'Course, you'll probably be getting that message from him in any language...something about shelter pooches -
they seem to have a non-stop show of appreciation for being brought into your family!

Old 07-19-2009, 10:37 AM

593 posts, read 2,893,100 times
If baxter has someone coming in the middle of the day every day to let him out to potty then he's going to get accustomed to someone coming to let him out.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:10 PM

14 posts, read 290,455 times
Shagbark - I thought of that; that he would be accustomed to someone letting him out mid day. The two weeks that I have been home with him, I've let him out mid day everyday except once. The reason I didn't let him out that day is because I was doing a test run to see if he could hold it. That day (I walked him just in the morning and evening), he didn't have any accidents. I would hope that he would be able to hold it for a full day once in a while. I would think that there are many dog owners who might need their dog to hold it for a full day once in a while. I would assume that the owners who have their dogs hold it during the weekday probably take their dog out mid day during the weekend? But do you just think that every other Friday is too irregular?

Last edited by janeatte; 07-19-2009 at 01:21 PM..

Old 07-19-2009, 04:39 PM

557 posts, read 2,610,050 times
You sound like a caring pet owner. While having a dog when you're working full time may not be ideal, many of us have done that and it seems to work out fine in most cases. Is there any chance your dog could go to work with you or your husband? My labs did fine when we worked full time plus the house was more protected by their presence. By giving your dog lots of attention and exercise when you're off work, things should work out fine. Bless you for adopting a dog from a shelter and giving him a good home.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:31 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,723,290 times
Quote:
I would assume that the owners who have their dogs hold it during the weekday probably take their dog out mid day during the weekend?
That's what we do.

I take Bedford (our 2 1/2 year-old beagle/bassett) out for a 2 mile walk every morning (6 am) and then my daughter takes him for a quick potty trip at 8 am every morning before I head to work. We get home around 5:30 pm and my daughter takes him for a quick potty trip. Then I walk Bedford for a shorter walk (about a mile) around 10:30 pm. We do regular trips to the dog park on the weekends. We have few, if any, accidents.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:41 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,952,810 times
Quote:
I would hope that he would be able to hold it for a full day once in a while. I would think that there are many dog owners who might need their dog to hold it for a full day once in a while. I would assume that the owners who have their dogs hold it during the weekday probably take their dog out mid day during the weekend? But do you just think that every other Friday is too irregular?

IMO, dogs are pretty adaptable creatures. We all run into unforeseen circumstances from time to time that cause our pets to wait for relief. I think Baxter will be fine. I take my dogs to "day camp" 2 to 3 days per week, depending on the weather and my own schedule. I'm self-employed so a true routine for me is difficult. But I try to keep the dogs somewhat regulated for Mon., Wed., & Fridays at camp. They do seem to know on those days and are waiting by the door as soon as I get out of the shower.

But if it turns out that we won't be headed out for some reason; the dogs don't seem any worse for it at all. I am fortunate also that I have a retired friend who stops by here & there when I am gone too long. But they've managed just fine when there was no alternative to "holding it". I agree with SeeBee; sure beats being stuck in a shelter - for any length of time.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:38 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,687,119 times
Quote:
I love all of the wonderful ideas I am getting from this forum!
piperspal - Excellent idea! I will call the shelter I got Baxter from and see if there is anyone advertising their TLC services. The shelter is not that close to my house though so I will also contact nearby shelters.
seebee - What you are saying is so true! The no kill shelter I got Baxter from had him in his kennel from 5pm to 11am with no potty breaks or visitations. This shelter is considered a great shelter too!

I checked out the senior center down the street, but it turned out to be more of a nursing home and assisted living center.

That would work great, then you also would not feel so rushed with
coming home. My puppy had to go to doggy day care, but it was cheap
35.00 for 5 days, and I could pick the days! It sure was a life saver for me!
Mostly the dog was crated, with a puppy, the puppy my boss had! They
were walked a few times, but it was a big relief for me! She had her friend, and the older dog, no dog sitting! Maybe your vet might do doggy day care?

Last edited by maggiekate; 07-19-2009 at 08:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs