U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 09:08 AM

2,779 posts, read 7,253,564 times

Advertisements

I just had a chain link fence installed in a grassy area for my two pups one of whom is as big as me and seems to be a digger.

My question: would Rebar inserted below ground along the fence line, about every foot, suffice to keep them in? I don't see digging a 100 foot trench full of poop to see if poop works, and I really don't want a dobie as big as me running down the street with my name on it.

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 09:28 AM

593 posts, read 2,774,066 times
Just so we understand, is the dog kept in a kennel or yard where you cannot intervene when the digging begins?

How much exercise and mental stimulation each day (in minutes or hours) does the dog receive?

Old 07-16-2009, 09:40 AM

This is a yard. When I left the house this morning, if it weren't for the digging, I would have left the door between the 15 room house and the enclosed yard open, with my two dogs running free in both. Because of the new fence and new digging, I closed them in the house. Both dogs get to go outside whether on leash or in new enclosed fence several times throughout the day. They play together vigorously and interact with me and my teens lots. If you are asking if I can keep them out of the yard except when I am there to observe digging the answer is yes, though I don't wan't to rely on training due to my need for a failsafe solution.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:57 AM

Training & consistency is failsafe. Especially when they are puppies. Sticking rebar in the ground is nothing more than a fun challenge to a determined escape artist.

And if they can't get under the fence, they'll just jump over it. I suggest supervising when left in the yard. Increase exercise.

On Dobermans exercise requirements From Pet Planet breed profiles...
Overall Exercise
> 2 hours per day.
Until the dog is 12 months old, exercise should consist of short but frequent sessions. Over exercising the dog can lead to joint problems. This is an active breed and will enjoy swimming, accompanying a cyclist and running off the lead. They are prone to bad behaviour if not given enough exercise, both mentally and physically.

Reward when the dog is behaving nicely in the yard. Don't reward for digging.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:58 AM

19,856 posts, read 63,096,067 times
Stones placed along the fence stopped one of mine who dug a lot. Of course, yours could always dig in front of the stones. But I had a lot (live where big stones are plentiful) and it seemed to work psychologically.

Another thing I've read of is to bury some kind of hard plate about 6 inches down. They hit that and stop. When my ex-husband was in the automatic door business, he would bring home the mats you step on to open the doors and those worked quite well. I think most stores have the "eye" instead of mats these days.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbark Hickory View Post
Training & consistency is failsafe. Especially when they are puppies. Sticking rebar in the ground is nothing more than a fun challenge to a determined escape artist.

And if they can't get under the fence, they'll just jump over it. I suggest supervising when left in the yard. Increase exercise.

On Dobermans exercise requirements From Pet Planet breed profiles...
Overall Exercise
> 2 hours per day.
Until the dog is 12 months old, exercise should consist of short but frequent sessions. Over exercising the dog can lead to joint problems. This is an active breed and will enjoy swimming, accompanying a cyclist and running off the lead. They are prone to bad behaviour if not given enough exercise, both mentally and physically.

Reward when the dog is behaving nicely in the yard. Don't reward for digging.
2 yo Doberman 5' tall standing on rear legs, 6' fence

Old 07-16-2009, 10:39 AM

8,307 posts, read 37,558,412 times
I know people who buried a strip of chicken wire around the inside perimeter of the fence to discourage digging. Dogs don't seem to like the sensation of hitting buried wire with their claws (I don't think I would either). If you are not around constantly to enforce no-digging by-laws this may be your best solution, but it could also be impractical if you have a very large yard. You could probably get away with only putting the wire in areas the dog is likely to dig.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
2 yo Doberman 5' tall standing on rear legs, 6' fence

YouTube - amazing doberman jump

YouTube - Amazing Dog Jumping Over Fence

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ahWLJ2-15E

Old 07-16-2009, 12:10 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,773,643 times
My dobie could clear a 6' fence with no problem. Chicken wire works. Electric wire around the bottom is also a good way to stop the digging.

Letting your dogs run around all day in the back yard is not really exercising your dog. He is most likely digging because he is bored.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:48 PM

We are going with the rebar sunk at 1' intervals with some overlap and a strip of rebar along the edge of the fence, and in addition I will be attaching the chicken wire and extending it inwards of the fence about 2' all along the areas that don't already abut concrete. Thanks for the great ideas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs