U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 07:21 AM

7,079 posts, read 34,464,964 times

Advertisements

You might also consider just taking your dog into the shower quickly. Just getting him wet will help. I have a pug, a completely heat-intolerant dog and that's what I would do if the A/C died.

BTW, even though he LIKES to lie in the sun, I wouldn't let him do that. Really not good for him!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 07:46 AM

3,627 posts, read 12,786,158 times
Holy Moly - you don't have humidity to contend with!!!!!
How about a fan and a mister? It is not like hosing them down, but I imagine many of the evaporative cooling products listed above [which are worthless in the Southeast US] would work incredibly well there.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:09 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,188,266 times
Keep them out of the sun and let them pant. Dogs cool themselves through their paws and their tounges. They are usually more comfortable on a hard floor rather than carpet as it is cooler on their belly.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:58 PM

443 posts, read 1,091,555 times
Thanks for the suggestions! We can't use a spray bottle on them because that's a discipline tool, but we opened up the bathroom last night after clearing out all the chemicals at doggy height and they lay in the tub and licked it for hours (they like to lick)

Old 07-18-2009, 09:06 PM

19,816 posts, read 55,790,617 times
So glad you found a solution! I was goinmg to suggest a mister but maybe the shower on low would work and not scare them?

Old 07-19-2009, 12:32 AM

1,628 posts, read 3,156,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
NO, don't shave the dog! They can get sunburned. All that hair is actually insulation for them as well as protection from the sun. Some of mine like to lie in the bathroom on the tile and one or two used to lie IN the bathtub for the cool feeling of the ceramic. Just keep them inside with you when the heat is brutal.
What about a shave, but a tshirt for cover when out in the sun?

(My dog has short hair, so I don't have to bother.)

Old 07-19-2009, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Sometimes the dogs "seem" water-phobic, but really enjoy the after effects.

I take my dog outside and he knows when I start going toward the hose, it's coming. He starts backing away, but I pull him toward me, and he's not happy at the moment, however, he lets me hold him on a leash, while I gently spray his whole body, including his belly. Afterwards, he is "smiling" (you know, a doggie tooth smile) and running around and feeling good.
Mine too!

She runs away when I spray her, but then she comes back - I think she likes the chase. Plus she always has more energy after she's gotten wet.

Also, I find the gentler the spray setting, the more amenable to the hose she is.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violent cello View Post
It's way too hot here in New Mexico for my dogs right now. They are panting all the time as we have a crappy a/c system. One of our dogs is happy to wear a wet dish towel on her back to cool down, but the other dog hates this. Any ideas on how to cool down our water-phobic dog? I hate to see him overheat! Sometimes we put a fan right in front of him but he just walks off. His favorite thing right now is to lie in full sun and then come inside and drink a whole bowl of water

Thanks
What about keeping them in a separate room when they're inside, that is equipped with its own window a/c?

Old 07-19-2009, 04:19 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,188,266 times
If you have a yard to let your dogs outside try getting a big dishpan and fillling it with water. Dogs will scratch in the dishpan and throw the water on themselves. If they are big dogs you might need a bigger container like a 3ft kitty pool made out of plastic. Try throwing in a ball or a toy for them to go after.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:16 PM
ZSP

1,568 posts, read 4,158,507 times
Lots of good advice - I live in the desert southwest and have three brachycephalic, heat intolerant, dogs....two Bostons and a Frenchie. We have had more than 10 days of 100+ temps but we're dealing with that.

Our outdoor play time/walks are limited to the very early morning hours (6 to 8 am) and late evening hours after the sun has set. The rest of the day they are inside except for short potty breaks.

All my dogs love their plastic kiddie pool, bowls of crushed or chipped ice, or a quick run thru the sprinklers. A few minutes in the bathtub cools them off quickly too.

We do have cool, tile floors but also use cooling mats, collars and vests when needed. Aside from the evap air, we use oscillating fans in every room of the house as well.

It's totally doable to have heat intolerant dogs in the desert - it just requires a bit more work and thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or