Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 11:23 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,697,875 times

Advertisements

I kinda like Dachshunds. I kinda like labrador retrievers. But my heart has been stolen by the.... German Shepard. The bark, how well they act when trained properly, how well they handle themselves. Every time i go to the humane society i hear one bark or see a beautiful colored one comes in, its like my best buddy has come to say hi.... lol anyway!!!

I don't know if this kind of dog would match my personality or what dog would. Is there any kind of recommended books or websites out there that would help decide what dog would be best for me? I should also add we already have four cats, four turtles, 3 fish tanks, and my wife... whoops haha. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 12:26 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
German Shepherds (please note the spelling) are wonderful, but high-maintenance dogs. They must be obedience trained or they can quickly take over the household. They are not dogs for the inexperienced dog owner and require a lot of attention. They'll herd children, if given the chance because they are, after all, herding dogs. I grew up with them, love them, but don't have the time for them.

They also are prone to hip dysplasia and good breeders will X-ray both the parents to prevent this trait from being passed along. They can also develop cardiomyopathy, a chronic, incurable disease of the heart muscle. And they shed like the dickens.

Dachshunds are nice dogs, but not necessarily good with cats. They must be kept slim or they'll develop serious back problems that can result in chronic pain or even paralysis of the hindquarters.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:31 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
German Shepherds (please note the spelling) are wonderful, but high-maintenance dogs. They must be obedience trained or they can quickly take over the household. They are not dogs for the inexperienced dog owner and require a lot of attention. They'll herd children, if given the chance because they are, after all, herding dogs. I grew up with them, love them, but don't have the time for them.

They also are prone to hip dysplasia and good breeders will X-ray both the parents to prevent this trait from being passed along. They can also develop cardiomyopathy, a chronic, incurable disease of the heart muscle. And they shed like the dickens.

Dachshunds are nice dogs, but not necessarily good with cats. They must be kept slim or they'll develop serious back problems that can result in chronic pain or even paralysis of the hindquarters.
I would wholeheartedly agree about German Shepherds. Probably not a great "first dog" or a good match for an owner of limited experience with powerful breeds that have a real need for a job. Grannynancy can tell you a lot about them.

A lab could be a better first dog, but understand that they have a general tendency towards "apesh*ttiness", mature slowly, also require a lot of attention, mental challenges, physical exercise and are capable of truly biblical destructiveness if said requirements are not met. They need jobs also. "Marley and Me" is really not a very farfetched portrayal of a labrador without structure and something meaningful to do. Also, as with any popular breed, there has been a lot of unscrupulous breeding and there are some health concerns. Hips, among other things, can be a big problem for labs so be careful.

Last edited by jimboburnsy; 07-22-2009 at 01:48 PM..

Old 07-22-2009, 01:40 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,697,875 times
Maybe when im old and retired the GSD will be for me. What about a Labrador Retriever?

Old 07-22-2009, 01:49 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
Maybe when im old and retired the GSD will be for me. What about a Labrador Retriever?
I edited my first post. I'm not trying to discourage you from bringing a lab onboard - they are great dogs - but you should be prepared for some challenges and a heaping teaspoon of frustration. They are not necessarily easy dogs and you need to be as energetic as they are.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:17 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Type this into Google, NO quotes around it:

what kind of dog is for me

You will get 236 million hits (no exaggeration), but the first four are links to "tests" on breed selection, aimed at helping you find the right dog for you, depending on your lifestyle, etc...

Here they are. There may be more; I didn't have the time to sift through all 236 million.

Breed Selector, Dog Search, Puppy Survey, Puppy Test, Test to find the right dog, Breed Quiz

Animal Planet :: Guides :: Dog Breed Selector

SoYouWanna choose the right dog for you? | SoYouWanna.com

What Breed of Dog Suits Me Best?

Good luck!

Old 07-22-2009, 10:00 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,917 times
keep in mind also, that dogs are individuals. breed gives you an idea of temperament, but not all dogs are characteristic of their breeds. also, some of the best dogs are mutts!

for a first dog, i'd strongly suggest getting an adult dog from a shelter. a decent shelter should be able to test the dog to see how it reacts to cats, and for the most part, what you see is what you get. when you get a puppy, their personalities often change as they age. this is especially a concern when you have cats - dogs can develop more of a prey drive as they get older and all of a sudden their kitty friends are snacks.

the flip side is that with a puppy, you're not inheriting several years of issues from a previous owner. you start with a clean slate and you can train the dog as you like. but if you really take the time to get to know a shelter dog before adopting, you should be fine. my dog came from the shelter pretty close to perfect. and dogs with problems can be rehabilitated (although personally i would not adopt a dog who i felt would be a threat to my cats, even if i thought maybe i could rehab them).

oh, one great way to really pick out the right dog, and/or to figure out what you *really* want in a dog, is to start volunteering at a shelter. nothing beats simply hanging out with a bunch of dogs to give you a great idea of what your wants and needs are, and what owning a dog really entails, and of course you get to know the dogs pretty well. plus when you're there a lot, if pups in your breed of choice show up (believe it or not, a lot of purebreds and puppies show up at shelters. they just go fast, especially purebred pups), odds are you can snap them up before someone else does.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:21 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,586,673 times
While I do think people need to research the breed of dog that they think they want as nothing sadder then seeing a high energy dog in low energy family. I think you also have to ask yourself what do you want to be able to do with the dog? Just have a pal to hang out with? A dog to take jogging? A dog to try dog sports with? When you talk to rescues or breeders make sure they know not only your life style but what you are looking for in a dog as they are often very good at making a match.

If you really love German shepherds why not talk to a rescue of such? They might have a dog that fits your bill as they are individuals and some come to rescues well trained and well behaved and could be a great dog for you. Owners get sick or die leaving some very nice dogs behind. I met a woman that somehow ended up talking to Border collie rescue ( she knew nothing about the breed) and she was not interested in a high energy non stop dog yet she now owns a border collie. They had a 2 yr old female sweet as can be and very low energy for the breed she is not the typical border collie and she and this woman are a perfect match. When one of the other border collies that is the perfect example of the breed shows up at the park this lady just can't believe the energy as hers is nothing like that. There are alot of variations within a breed as they are all individuals.

There are also some great German Shepherd mixes out there that do make great first dogs. Talk to people that do rescue work and I am sure they can find a few dogs that would be a perfect match for you.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:21 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,828,194 times
Do on line research or check out some books at the library and really read about the breeds you are interested in that fit you and your lifestyle.

I've had different kinds of dogs all my life. DH had never owned a dog and when we had to put my dog down I let him choose our next dog. Growing up a kid down the street had a black lab, so from childhood that's what DH had wanted. So he got his black lab and a year later we got a yellow lab. They lived to be 12 and 15 years old and now our current lab is only 1 and 1/2. A lab pup is very busy! I think they all have a little Marley in them.

Getting a dog is a long term commitment, please choose wisely. If you get a pup, sign up for puppy classes to start training early. Our current lab is an indoor dog as we moved from So Cal to NC so he is our first full time house dog. I bought the doggy potty bells that you hang on the door and he rings them when he wants to go out to go potty or just out back to run and play. They are quick learners and love to please.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:49 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,920,829 times
I don't see why you couldn't get a shepherd if you really want to. Not all are high energy. My female was but my male was very laid back and would of been a great dog for a first time dog owner. Check out shepherd rescues, there are certainly enough out there. Most of these dogs will be in foster homes and they can give you a good idea of how the dog is around kids, other dogs and cats. I placed a shepherd in a home were they were first time dog owners, they had 2 young boys, 8 and 11, it has worked out really well for all of them.

There are also lots of all breed rescues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs