U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 01:31 PM

4,357 posts, read 8,527,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Write up a bill for room and board, save recipts for dog food, etc... When the jerk comes for the dog hand him the bill, when he balks at thet hand him a release of ownership paper....
I agree here also!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 04:17 PM

6,873 posts, read 3,526,626 times
I certainly understand everyone's sentiments, but if the guy thinks of himself as Mr. Macho, he's not going to receive pressure well, and the dog is the one that pays, in the end.

What if you were to continue with the dog for just a little longer, and try extending some compassionate training to the guy. You've already told him about heartworms. Maybe he's just clueless. No offense to anyone, but I have noticed that when macho guys feel ignorant, they tend to get aggressive, unless they are handled with kid gloves.

Right now, he's in a position where he knows he owes you. I think if you stay friendly, make subtle comments about the care a young dog of that breed needs, based on your experience, he may be trained. You might make a good friend in time, and make a positive change in his life, as well as the dogs.

No one wins if you take a righteous stand, no matter how much right you have to do so.

Just thinking of that dog....

Old 07-19-2009, 04:37 PM

593 posts, read 1,706,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I certainly understand everyone's sentiments, but if the guy thinks of himself as Mr. Macho, he's not going to receive pressure well, and the dog is the one that pays, in the end.

What if you were to continue with the dog for just a little longer, and try extending some compassionate training to the guy. You've already told him about heartworms. Maybe he's just clueless. No offense to anyone, but I have noticed that when macho guys feel ignorant, they tend to get aggressive, unless they are handled with kid gloves.

Right now, he's in a position where he knows he owes you. I think if you stay friendly, make subtle comments about the care a young dog of that breed needs, based on your experience, he may be trained. You might make a good friend in time, and make a positive change in his life, as well as the dogs.

No one wins if you take a righteous stand, no matter how much right you have to do so.

Just thinking of that dog....
This is why I could never be an animal control officer. I lack compassion with people like this.
So true. Enjoy your new rep points.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:55 PM

315 posts, read 695,395 times
The dog isn't that underweight , based on those pics. I have an 8 month old OEM female and she's about the same size- just burns it off playing. Overfeeding a giant breed is much more of a developmental danger than being on the light side.

I still don't like the situation, but based purely on the photos, I think everyone should get their hackles down. The dog is not starving.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:40 PM

410 posts, read 734,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
Not only is that dog very sweet looking, but it has such a sad face! You can tell he is not a happy pup! I would not give it back. That poor thing is soooo underweight for the size and breed. Is the poor thing even neutered? Sad situation for a nice dog.
I feel bad for you in this situation. If it were me I would be scrambling for a reason to kidnap the dog or get it somewhere safe. But then again, dopes like that owner will just get another dog.....idiot!
Well, it is an english mastiff, of course it looks sad! That's their natural look - like bloodhounds, or bassetts...I've know several mastiffs, and they always look sad.

I think he looks like a normal weight for that age & breed, the adolescents are usually very gangly and thin like that - they don't put on weight until around 18 months I think? (Mastiff people, please correct me if I'm wrong here.) Next to a bullmastiff, and english mastiff will look awfully thin, but I didn't see his ribs or hipbones in any of the pictures and his coat didn't look dull. Just going off the photos, anyway.

OP, you are very kind to look after him!

Old 07-19-2009, 07:49 PM

9,342 posts, read 16,453,568 times
I would just care for the dog and not bother the owner. It will be interesting to see how many times he even comes to visit the dog. I can't believe he had it with someone else for two whole months and still doesn't have a place for him and the dog. I wouldn't ask about adopting the dog or even contact him. Just let him keep looking for a place that will take the dog and, hopefully, after enough rejections he will come to you and ask you to keep it.

I agree with Blondie about wanting to kidnap the dog, but since the guy knows where you live, that probably isn't an option!

I also agree with Calibassman- keep a tally of the cost of the dog's care and present the bill to the owner when (if) he comes for the dog. And have the transfer of ownership document ready.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:37 PM

4,357 posts, read 8,527,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitz View Post
Well, it is an english mastiff, of course it looks sad! That's their natural look - like bloodhounds, or bassetts...I've know several mastiffs, and they always look sad.

I think he looks like a normal weight for that age & breed, the adolescents are usually very gangly and thin like that - they don't put on weight until around 18 months I think? (Mastiff people, please correct me if I'm wrong here.) Next to a bullmastiff, and english mastiff will look awfully thin, but I didn't see his ribs or hipbones in any of the pictures and his coat didn't look dull. Just going off the photos, anyway.

OP, you are very kind to look after him!
When I see ribs sticking out on any dog, it is tooooo thin! That dog should have at least 10 lbs of puppy fat on it! That dog was neglected, period.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:15 PM

3,718 posts, read 10,775,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gessa View Post
Hi,

Last night an (ex) neighbour asked me to look after his English mastiff. His landlord found out about the dog and kicked them both out. The dog had been with a friend of his, but that friend was no longer able to keep him - about 2 mths.

No prob looking after the dog, have 2 of my own, introduced them all and they are all fine.

The problem is that the mastiff, 8 mths, just looks soo underweight. It was kind of embarrasing taking him for a walk - I don't want people thinking I did that to him...

I am a long term dog fanatic and have a 12 mth bullmastiff myself. The english mastiff is just skin and bones!

I am really hoping that the neighbour won't find an accepting apartment - what landlord is going to allow an English mastiff?? To my mind the neighbour is an idiot, he had the dog in a 4th floor, 1 bed apartment.

What would you do??
Maybe, offer to adopt the dog? If not, maybe rescue could get a great home? Talk to the person, and just be truthfull, the dog will need food, care etc.,! You are doing good keeping the dog!

Old 07-19-2009, 09:28 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,029,596 times
Quote:
Hi,

Last night an (ex) neighbour asked me to look after his English mastiff. His landlord found out about the dog and kicked them both out. The dog had been with a friend of his, but that friend was no longer able to keep him - about 2 mths.

No prob looking after the dog, have 2 of my own, introduced them all and they are all fine.

The problem is that the mastiff, 8 mths, just looks soo underweight. It was kind of embarrasing taking him for a walk - I don't want people thinking I did that to him...

I am a long term dog fanatic and have a 12 mth bullmastiff myself. The english mastiff is just skin and bones!

I am really hoping that the neighbour won't find an accepting apartment - what landlord is going to allow an English mastiff?? To my mind the neighbour is an idiot, he had the dog in a 4th floor, 1 bed apartment.

What would you do??
Tell him his dog is underfed!! I know how you feel I have the same problem with my brother. He has a Saint Bernard and a Labrador. Both underfed, and under cared for. With people like that, you just have to be blunt. Otherwise they don't get it.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:40 AM

8,310 posts, read 21,556,296 times
Quote:
but is he too lean?
I don't think he's in danger of malnourishment, he looks quite well fed contrasted against wolf and coyote yearlings. EDIT: By the way, I'm not saying you should try to make your dog look like a wild animal (afterall, some wolf and coyote yearlings wind up starving to death), I'm just saying that his wild cousins do fine carrying a lot less fat than he is in those pictures.

I think you should be able to palpate a thin layer of fat over the ribs, in other words you should feel them but not see them. I don't like seeing hip-bones either. From the pictures the pup looks on the lean side of ideal, but only just. I wouldn't let him learn to engorge, but you may want to increase his calorie intake by 5% or 10%. Puppies start to get long around 1 year and will not fill out with secondary male traits until about 2 years (possibly more with mastiff types). If he's been neutered before that time you'll find that it suddenly gets very easy to make him way too fat. You don't want him overweight going into that age or it gets much harder to bring him down to where he needs to be and keep him there.

I don't really see why he refuses to hand the dog over to you. Its basically not his anymore. I agree with some others that you should keep an accounting of the actual costs to you for watching his dog. If you're being damaged monetarily he needs to fix that for you. You do have some good collateral to secure payment.

Last edited by jimboburnsy; 07-20-2009 at 09:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs