U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 10:27 AM

7,648 posts, read 8,547,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Write up a bill for room and board, save recipts for dog food, etc... When the jerk comes for the dog hand him the bill, when he balks at thet hand him a release of ownership paper....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
I would just care for the dog and not bother the owner. It will be interesting to see how many times he even comes to visit the dog. I can't believe he had it with someone else for two whole months and still doesn't have a place for him and the dog. I wouldn't ask about adopting the dog or even contact him. Just let him keep looking for a place that will take the dog and, hopefully, after enough rejections he will come to you and ask you to keep it.

I agree with Blondie about wanting to kidnap the dog, but since the guy knows where you live, that probably isn't an option!

I also agree with Calibassman- keep a tally of the cost of the dog's care and present the bill to the owner when (if) he comes for the dog. And have the transfer of ownership document ready.

I like both of these ideas .... i'm guessing that the guy won't even bother to come back for his dog in the unlikely event he is able to find a place that he can have him......

and i really don't know much about these big boys, but he does seem pretty thin to me too......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 03:03 PM

315 posts, read 676,082 times
I currently have four. Mastiff puppies don't start getting that massive heavy look until they are 2-3 years old. You CAN permanently cripple a rapidly growing giant breed puppy by overfeeding or overexercising. They aren't engineered quite like other dogs.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:25 PM

8,310 posts, read 20,791,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenfatt View Post
I currently have four. Mastiff puppies don't start getting that massive heavy look until they are 2-3 years old. You CAN permanently cripple a rapidly growing giant breed puppy by overfeeding or overexercising. They aren't engineered quite like other dogs.
You keep Filas, right? I'm sure that yours is a very secure homestead indeed...

Old 07-20-2009, 03:43 PM

8,310 posts, read 20,791,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gessa View Post
Have added some pictures - please take a look and give me your views.

Brawn pictures by gessa88 - Photobucket

Cheers
I know I'm beating this to death a little, but I just looked at the pics again. First, Brawn is a very handsome dog. Second, when I look at the picture labeled "Long", I see a puppy that looks exactly right. That's the most telling shot to me.

I see a lot of drastically overweight dogs at the neighborhood park, in the vet's office, at the homes of family members and it kills me a little bit. A dog that is basically a cylinder from shoulder to hip is not a proud animal. Its a pitiful animal. Be careful with the dog's diet and exercise, once they get too heavy it is very difficult to trim them down.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:34 PM

181 posts, read 402,041 times
Thanks everyone! I am a long term dog owner, but never an English Mastiff. I asked the Q re. weight because I know that this breed develops in overdrive. I have a bullmastiff myself, and the difference between the 2 dogs is great - considering that the bullmastiff originally came from the english mastiff. I know about the no - no exercising, and believe me I had a 'word' with the guy who was looking after him 1st and making him run after him on a bike - DUH!

I SHOULD ADD:

1. the 15 yr old of the family that lived under this guy told me that the man was 'beating on' the dog - but the dog has no outward damage, so how can this be proved....

2. the man told me that he wanted to make the dog aggressive (!!!XXUKJDN!!!). This is an English Mastiff - the gentle giant breed!

What are your thoughts with this new info?
(didn't want to unduely prejudice the man with my OP)

Old 07-20-2009, 08:46 PM

7,360 posts, read 6,992,768 times
i was going to say he doesn't look like he's necessarily too skinny. but i'm not super familiar with the breed.

your two new pieces of info are really terrible, but the first is not something you could bring to a humane officer without proof, and the second is probably not something they could do anything about under any circumstances, unfortunately.

hopefully he just never finds an apartment that will take the dog and you're good.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:26 AM

269 posts, read 706,474 times
First of all, the dog is definitely NOT underweight! He looks perfectly healthy to me. We (Americans) have this notion of how big our dogs should be because of our own body image. (Most dogs are overweight...kind of like most people). Dogs are supposed to be lean and depending on the dog, you might be able to see ribs from time to time (I do not see ribs nor hip bones in this picture). English Mastiffs are NOT as broad or as muscular as bullmastiffs - it's a fact. And English Mastiffs do not require the same amount of exercise - they are actually good for small living spaces because they have such low exercise requirements.

And an 8 month puppy is still growing into their body - you do NOT want to overfeed a puppy this young. I doubt any vet will have a problem with the dogs weight. I was worried that our rottie mix was too skinny b/c her hip bones were sharp - we took her to the vet and our vet praised us on being the only family to bring a thin (in a good way) rottweiler. We also have a 45lb boxer and you can see her ribs depending on how she stands. She also at a healthy weight (and eats more than the 85lbs rottweiler).

Other information about this owner aside, it does not appear that he is abusing his dog by the photos or by keeping in a 1brm apartment. The other information you've listed does suggest that he is in fact a bad dog owner - unfortunately, the only thing you can do is try to educate your neighbor. If he does allow you to keep this dog, he'll probably just get another dog (maybe one he thinks will be even "meaner"), so you've just signed a different dog a bad life sentence. Try to engage him in conversation - educate him without being condescending or patronizing - that's the only way this dog or any future dogs have a decent chance at a decent life.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:46 PM

315 posts, read 676,082 times
'beating on' the dog - but the dog has no outward damage, so how can this be proved....

2. the man told me that he wanted to make the dog aggressive (!!!XXUKJDN!!!). This is an English Mastiff - the gentle giant breed!

What are your thoughts with this new info?
(didn't want to unduely prejudice the man with my OP)[/quote]

OE Mastiffs can become nervous and shy very quickly if they are struck- you dont want one of these to grow up nervous and turn into a fear biter.

There is the myth that all mastiffs are giant teddy bears. They were originally heavy duty guard dogs, but MOST of that has been bred out. Occasionally an OE will show full guard instincts and ability. That changes the paradigm considerably.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:53 AM

1,280 posts, read 2,544,815 times
Back to your original question. I read between the lines that you would like to keep the dog. if possible. Perhaps time is on your side as the "bills" will add up. Has he seen a vet for shots. If not, take him "to protect your own dogs" and present that bill as well. Offer to keep him.

If this doesn't work--then educate, educate, educate the jerk. Explain health care, feeding, and exercise needs and that a fearful dog is not a good dog. A loyal dog is what he wants. Give him a dog care guide. If you have any proof at all of abuse or neglect, report him.

Stay on his good side-be helpful--and keep your eyes open.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:51 AM

4,063 posts, read 4,991,290 times
Is the dog really underweight? Do you have pictures? I was concerned that my newly adopted dog was underweight, but her vet said she is at an ideal weight. The issue is that people may see her as being malnourished because so many dogs in this country are overfed that unhealthy and obese is considered normal, and fit is considered unhealthy. The benchmark is that you should feel, but not see the dog's ribs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs