Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 10:11 PM

284 posts, read 1,677,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote_Blond View Post
Checking in again. I've gone thru this twice. First time a Bull Terrier was determined to come through our adjoining fence. We warned the neighbor. The dog made it through when we weren't home. We found a FEW pieces of him. He met our 139 lb registered white wolf.

Second time it was 2 yappy little dogs. They barked all hours. (Shih tzu & a Lhasa). The people were from Jersey (we were in Phoenix) and didn't wish to discuss it. I called the police two or three times A DAY for 4 days until the cops got fed up. The dogs disappeared by weeks end. Hmmmm Guess being a nuisance to the PPD paid off hehehe!
No wonder you recommend calling the police. At this point, this is creating such hard feelings in the neighborhood, I don't know why they don't go ahead and call the police. What do they have to lose? I'll show them your posts and recommend preventative police action. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 04:08 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,789,034 times
Has your friend tried to gain the cooperation of the neighbor? I do dog rescue and occaisionally we get a dog that is great with people but acts the way these new neighbor dogs are acting...usually they just want to meet and sniff the other dogs...and then things will calm down. Also if people and other dogs are constantly in the yard then that stimulation alone is enough to set off the new dogs, they are just learning where their territory begins and ends, so some adjustment is to be expected. Possibly approaching the neighbor in a way that doesn't put them on the defensive about the dogs will do more to fix the situation. A solution could be as easy as having the dogs meet eachother, in a controlled leashed way. If the new dogs aren't bearing teeth and growling then they are probably just excited to see the other potential doggy friends and want to play.

We do have an electric fence (around our wooden fence) to keep the newer dogs from digging out (again rescue work, we never know who the diggers are going to be until they get here) but they require collars to be worn by the dog...I don't think you can get touch charged fences for dogs...but I could be wrong. If the neighbor isn't cooperative then I doubt getting him to install and collar his dogs would go very well either.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:40 PM

341 posts, read 1,483,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar View Post
No wonder you recommend calling the police. At this point, this is creating such hard feelings in the neighborhood, I don't know why they don't go ahead and call the police. What do they have to lose? I'll show them your posts and recommend preventative police action. Thanks!
I've found in most instances, that an owner that cares about his pet AND the neighbors won't allow their dog to display disruptive behavior. Those that do...don't NEED a pet! How'z bout a shock collar for the owner? When his dogs misbehave you shock him!

Old 04-23-2007, 09:49 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,337,096 times
How do the other surrounding neighbors feel about these annoying dogs? Can your friend rally their support? Maybe if the whole neighborhood goes against them they will get the message loud and clear.

Coyote ... couldn't agree with you more. Some owners need a shot of wake up to reality.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:49 AM

284 posts, read 1,677,587 times
Coyote Blond, you are so funny and so right!

Irishmom, the friends have tried to gain the cooperation of the new neighbors. When they moved in, I actually got to meet Mrs. New Neighbor. She went on and on about how she had bought a puppy from someone hundreds of miles away and how she couldn't wait to get it. I told her about our Petsmart puppy classes. We happen to have some very good trainers at our local store, and she acted interested. Then, they babysat their son's dogs for a few weeks. They were awful, too. Those dogs left and in came not one puppy but two. They aren't trained; they are never worked with in any way and are left outside with access to an open garage door. They are possessions, not members of the family. They aren't even under control enough for a meet and greet/ introduction session to be possible. It is too bad because your suggestion is wonderful. Unfortunately, they have turned out to be the kind of people who give their animals food and shelter and little to no love.

Tet tea, I don't know how the other neighbors feel about the dogs. I'll ask, but I'm guessing that they are more upset about the new neighbors not mowing and ruining a once beautiful yard. The dogs are the biggest problem for friends because their bedroom window is right by a favorite barking spot and because of dog fight potential. Neighbors on other side don't have pets and aren't in back yard much.

Thank you all for your help! You have been so kind and supportive!

Old 04-24-2007, 06:43 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,789,034 times
That's so sad for those dogs then. I think your friend than does need to call animal control and site them for neglect. Dogs shouldn't be left outside all day...of course they are a nuisance, they are probably love starved and bored to death! Good luck with it, I hope your friend finds peace soon.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:57 AM

341 posts, read 1,483,266 times
Final suggestion. Whenever their dogs bark. Aim two HUGE sterio speakers at THEIR house. Then promptly crank Barry Manilow up until their windows vibrate. That'll teach em!

Old 04-26-2007, 08:08 AM

607 posts, read 3,549,575 times
Barry Manilow ?.................. That'll just make'm howl more!

Old 04-26-2007, 11:52 AM

1,233 posts, read 3,423,748 times
Video works rather well in most cases.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:56 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,998,246 times
How about adding your dog to the barkingdogatlas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Charles22; 08-19-2007 at 01:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs