U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2009, 06:45 PM

423 posts, read 1,324,017 times

Advertisements

Ewwww! And LOL. Glad it came out ok in the end. Also glad I have a dog that doesn't chew on anything...
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 12:09 PM

9,352 posts, read 16,768,849 times
hhahahahahhaaa.... what a visual .... even more so, because i have been there myself.......

thanks for the chuckle.....

and misfitz.... what kind of dog do you have that doesn't chew??

Old 07-20-2009, 12:29 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,850,925 times
Ugh. I am glad Harper is okay.

I am yet another dog owner who is reminded of long lost (repressed?!) memories.

A few years ago we went on vacation and left our adult son and his teen brother to care for dogs/house.

Rosie, our old mastiff girl, had always been one of those dogs who would recklessly ingest just about anything.
We really had to watch her; she was quick.

One night we called home to see how everyone was doing.

Everything was fine, our older son said, except he thought that maybe Rosie ate something she shouldn't have. This was not an unusual thing to hear.
Just as we were speaking to him, our son said "Oh no!"--Rosie was outside pooping, and he was watching.

He called to his brother. "Hey! Go look at Rosie's butt!" Misery loves company.
Horrified cries of disgust came over the speakerphone as our boys watched, and we listened.
Apparently Rosie was hunched over, taking an inordinate amount of time to squeeze out a poorly digested dead baby squirrel.
Our son had seen it lying lifeless in the back yard, a late spring storm had gotten the better of an early litter.
He knew he should have cleaned it up, but was a bit squeamish.
Now he was watching Rosie poop it out.
It took awhile, and was not a pretty sight, but our dog was fine.
A lesson was learned by all, except perhaps the incorrigible Rosie.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:34 PM

16,647 posts, read 26,615,464 times
This has happened to Artie too and it freaks him out!

But it's not because of his stringy chew toys. It's because of my hair. I have longish hair and I shed more than he does, I think. Anyway, you can figure the rest out...

Old 07-20-2009, 02:31 PM

138 posts, read 564,538 times
I used to do this too until my sister, who is a vet tech, told me to stop doing it. You have to be careful about what you pull out when it's "stuck". It can get stuck in their intestines and if you pull it out too fast, you can pull their intestines out too, which of course is deadly. A piece of hair is not going to do it of course but if they swallow some rope from a toy or like a dryer sheet, etc, be careful. Try to get them to poop it out themselves. Don't pull on it!!!! Not saying this will happen but the chance is there and you don't want it to happen. I figured I'd share for those that didn't know, because I didn't know either.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:00 AM

4,704 posts, read 10,124,181 times
Not only will string create the problem but long grass will too. My dogs love to graze on long grass in the fields and then horror of horrors when they go to poop it out. I guess it is too thin to get enough muscle action to get it out all the way. Jazz then runs around looking behind her like some alien being is right behind her. It is quite funny but I don't dare laugh as then she looks at me like I am responsible for this!

Old 07-21-2009, 11:20 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,820,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugluvr View Post
I used to do this too until my sister, who is a vet tech, told me to stop doing it. You have to be careful about what you pull out when it's "stuck". It can get stuck in their intestines and if you pull it out too fast, you can pull their intestines out too, which of course is deadly. A piece of hair is not going to do it of course but if they swallow some rope from a toy or like a dryer sheet, etc, be careful. Try to get them to poop it out themselves. Don't pull on it!!!! Not saying this will happen but the chance is there and you don't want it to happen. I figured I'd share for those that didn't know, because I didn't know either.
Ooh, good advice! I didn't think of that. A week or two ago I pulled a piece of hair from my cats butt that was stuck.. it grossed me out! I have never pulled anything from an animals butthole before Ick..

Old 07-21-2009, 11:26 AM

9,352 posts, read 16,768,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Not only will string create the problem but long grass will too. My dogs love to graze on long grass in the fields and then horror of horrors when they go to poop it out. I guess it is too thin to get enough muscle action to get it out all the way. Jazz then runs around looking behind her like some alien being is right behind her. It is quite funny but I don't dare laugh as then she looks at me like I am responsible for this!
PERFECT description of bailey when this sort of thing happens.......

Old 11-18-2009, 09:37 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,298,171 times
I realize this is an old post but I just wanted to add that I don't buy anymore rope toys for my dogs. I know they make for colorful poop but that can't be good for them to have all that string in their stomach.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:38 AM

1,055 posts, read 3,589,156 times
Yeah worse that they can cause them to block up or can get wrapped around the innards making for a vet visit and some emergency surgery. I haven't done a rope since this one as I know he will just destroy it.

Ropes aren't all bad as long as they are a supervised toy for playing and not chewing but he has all his toys pretty much all the time so no ropes for Harper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or